Asheville, NC - Eating Alfresco in Asheville
Two of the best reasons to enjoy Asheville are the fantastic (although variable) weather, and the amazing food, so what better way to combine this than to enjoy eating alfresco? The thing is, with sidewalk space at a bit of a premium, it’s important to know some of the best cafes and restaurants that provide great outdoor dining experiences.
Fortunately, there are some lovely places with great outdoor spaces where you can enjoy a delicious bite to eat and a local brew; we’ve rounded up some of the best for you below.
Many thanks to all of the awesome people that contributed to this Reddit thread and helped to build this list.
Alfresco dining in Downtown Asheville
- Ben’s Tune Up – Just a few steps from Downtown Asheville, Ben’s Tune Up provides a relaxed atmosphere and Chinese / Polynesian food with lots of choice for vegetarians and some great outdoor seating space, plus a good selection of local draught beer; you can locate Ben’s Tune Up here
- The Laughing Seed – A popular vegetarian restaurant in the middle of downtown AVL, The Laughing Seed has a decent outside area; find them here
- Santé Wine Bar – There must be some people in Asheville that don’t always drink beer, so here’s a great wine bar with some outside eating and drinking space, located in the Grove Arcade
- Mayfel’s – A Southern style restaurant serving food influenced by the Deep South and Louisiana, they have two patio areas, so depending on how much of a background buzz you want, the choice is yours; Mayfel’s are located here
- Asheville Pizza and Brewing – One of the stalwarts of beer and good eating in Asheville, their two main locations on Merrimon Avenue and Coxe Avenue both have outside seating, and the beer is really, really good! The food is pretty decent too!
- Wicked Weed Brewing – One of our newer additions to the Asheville restaurant scene, they have a large patio out front and some very strong beer! You have been warned…Find them here
- The Southern Kitchen and Bar – Located on Lexington Avenue, they have a very Southern feeling patio area with some great décor; the food is equally good
- Creperie Bouchon – Also found on Lexington Avenue, if you fancy a slightly more continental flavor to your food and crepes, they have some great outdoors seating
- Strada - Who wants to sit on the street when you can sit on the roof? Yes, Strada has rooftop dining; find them here
Alfresco dining elsewhere in Asheville
- Grovewood Cafe – Located near the Grove Park Inn in North Asheville, The Greenwood Cafe provides a lovely patio area and delicious nibbles! Find them here
- Plant - Serving tasty and delicious vegan food, Plant has a covered patio and a very eclectic range of dishes, and they are located on Merrimon Ave
- The Village Wayside Bar & Grill out Biltmore way used to be an old train depot and has a lovely outside seating area; find them here
- The Lucky Otter in West Asheville is an incredibly popular eatarie (and rightly so) and they have a covered patio area to keep the glaring sun away; find The Lucky Otter here
- Sunny Point Cafe – Located in West Asheville, Sunny Point Cafe is incredibly popular and has a great outdoors area too!
- Universal Joint – Located on Haywood in West Asheville, Universal Joint has an outside patio and a list of draught beer that changes almost every day
- White Duck Taco – There are plenty of burrito and taco places around, and White Duck is one of our great independent restaurants. They have outdoor space to enjoy your food and are located in the River Arts district
Hopefully, you’ll be able to find a restaurant here to your tastes, and enjoy the great weather, excellent food, tasty beer and friendly vibe that Asheville is known for. If you’ve got any more recommendations for places with great outdoor and alfresco dining, please let us know in the comments.