Asheville, NC - Family Friendly Outings
Asheville is a very family friendly place, and whatever you want to do, there’s plenty to keep both kids and parents entertained. What’s available depends how far outside town you want to go.
Family friendly things to do in Downtown Asheville
- The Asheville Art Museum – Mainly featuring 20th century American art, the Asheville Art Museum has some very accessible and easily understandable exhibits, perfect for children learning about art for the first time, or for parents that want to widen their appreciation.You can find them here
- Asheville Urban Trail – this is a 1.7 mile self-guided walk that takes in some of the main features of our beautiful city, including sculptures and some of the key buildings. You can get maps and audio guides that will lead you round. Go to the Asheville Art Museum to find out more
- Splasheville – Located in Pack Square Park, Splasheville is an interactive water fountain that kids and adults can play in. Perfect for cooling off in summer!
- Asheville Drumming Circle – Every Friday night, from Spring to Fall, drummers of all ages gather in Pritchard Park in the center of downtown, and create an amazing, rhythmic racket. Go along, dance to the drum beat, or bring something to bang on!
- Climbmax Climbing Center – A complete climbing center with a large, outdoor climbing wall – Hope you have a head for heights. Find them here
Family friendly activities outside Downtown Asheville
- Western North Carolina (WNC) Nature Center – With otters, cougars, coyotes, bears, wolves, birds of pray and creepy-crawlies, the WNC Nature Center is a great place for children to explore and find out about the world around them. The center features well looked after animals, conservation work, a petting zoo and learning experiences, It’s on Gashes Creek Road, here
- Biltmore – Our most famous landmark, Biltmore is one of the most spectacular places to visit in the whole of the US, with attractions and activities varying throughout the year. The estate is vast, and you can find it here
- Asheville Tourists Baseball – Yes, we have our own minor league baseball team, and some years they even do pretty well! Come along and enjoy the enthusiastic crowd, the seventh inning stretch, and if you’re lucky, a home run or two! You’ll find the stadium, McCormick Field, here
- Asheville Botanical Gardens – 10 acres of ever changing plants and flowers, together with a creek that runs through the garden makes this botanical beauty spot a great place to spend some time. Here’s the location
Family friendly activities close to Asheville
- North Carolina Arboretum – With over ten miles of hiking and biking trails and nearly 70 acres of gardens, the North Carolina Arboretum is a great place to spend a day. You can find it here
- The Blue Ridge Parkway – At nearly 500 miles long, and boasting spectacular views of the changing seasons in the Smokey Mountains, you can get onto The Blue Ridge Parkway just outside of Asheville. There are multiple scenic outlooks, waterfalls, hiking trails and more
- Sliding Rock – Located in Pisgah National Forest, Sliding Rock provides a 60 ft long waterslide that kids of all ages can enjoy!
- Asheville Zipline Canopy Adventures – Do you want to go racing through the forest canopy on a zipline? Of course you do! Find them here
Whatever you end up doing, you and the kids are sure to have an amazing time. If you’ve got any other suggestions for family friendly things to do in and around the city, please let us know in the comments.