- Travel and Places»
- Visiting North America»
- United States
Attractions and Job Growth In Southern Ohio
Where Is Southern Ohio?
Southern Ohio is one of 10 market regions in the state and as such, includes the 10 counties. It is located just south of Central Ohio, which includes the Capital, Columbus.
The 10 Counties of the Southern Ohio Market
- ADAMS, BROWN, GALLIA, HIGHLAND, JACKSON, LAWRENCE, PIKE, ROSS, SCIOTO, VINTON.
Southern Ohio Region: Ten Counties
State Supported Resources Open to the Public:
State Parks and State Forests:
- Adams Lake State Park
- Brush Creek State Forest
- Dean State Forest
- Great Seal State Park
- Jackson Lake State Park
- Lake Alma State Park - South of Columbus and near Jackson, Lake Alma has a camping area on top of a tall island in the lake.
- Lake White State Park
- Paint Creek State Park
- Pike Lake State Park and State Forest
- Richland Furnace State Forest
- Rocky Fork State Park
- Scioto Trail State Park and State Forest
- Shawnee State Park and State Forest
- Tar Hollow State Park and State Forest
- Wayne National Forest - Largest forest in the state.
Other State Resources For Outdoor Recreation:
- An additional 7 Nature and Wildlife Preserves - controlled hunts are held yearly in some of the preserves, with park closures.
- 8 Protected Historical Sites
- 9 Maintained Hunting & Fishing Areas - With the new Cabela's outdoor outfitting store in Columbus OH at Polaris Mall, these nine places will be even more enjoyable! Cabela's is at the corner of Gemini Place and Lyra Drive, across from COSTCO on one side and a new high rise htel on the other. At 80,000 square feet, it is smaller than the usual Cabela's, but still abundant with goods and entertainment.
Counties and Their Major Cities:
- ADAMS - West Union, Peebles, Manchester
- BROWN- Ripley (see museum details below), Mt. Orab
- GALLIA - Gallipolis (see material below), Rio Grande, Bidwell
- HIGHLAND - Hillsboro, Greenville
- JACKSON - Beaver, Jackson
- LAWRENCE - South Point (southernmost town in the state), Ironton
- PIKE - Waverly (the center of the region), Piketon, Bainbridge
- ROSS - Chillicothe (a former Ohio Capital; see videos below), Kingston
- SCIOTO - Portsmouth (see videos below), Latham, Wheelersburg
- VINTON - McArthur, Moonville ghost town
Covered Bridges In Southern Ohio
Links to More Attractions and Events in Southern and Southeastern Ohio
- Important Landmarks on the Ohio River
OHIO is an interesting word...
- The Circleville Pumpkin Show Festival and Fall Attractions
Circleville, Ohio - or Round Town as it is nicknamed - has taken the Fall Festival event and expanded it to four days of pumpkin-loving fun.
- The Best Produce and U-Pick Farms In Ohio
Farmer's markets are increasing both in numbers and hours of operations, and U-Pick opportunities are everywhere.
- The Southeast Ohio Tourism Link
Brown County: Ohio and Kentucky Tobacco
History of Burley Tobacco
- Ripley Museums
Museum of Tobacco. The Lucky Strike Green Has Gone to War story, and Lt. General Grant cigars.
Small Town Style
- O.O. McIntyre Park District; Park History
The park includes the 60-acre Elizabeth Evans Waterfowl and Bird Sanctuary, the 700 acre Raccoon Creek Park and the 28-mile Gallia Hike and Bike Trail.
- Odd McIntyre: The Man Who Taught America About New York
For millions of people, their only knowledge about New York City was O.O. McIntyre’s daily column about life in the Big Apple
Gallipolis, Gallia County
Gallipolis Island sits in the Ohio ("Big") River off the coast of Gallipolis in Mason County WVA. It became a part of the Ohio River Islands National Wildlife Refuge in 2004.
Gallipolis is the birthplace of Bob Evans, who founded Bob Evans Restaurants and the associated sausage company. He was in ompetition with Jimmy Dean Sausage for many years and seems to have come out the winner in sales. The farm is still located near Rio Grand, Ohio and Rio Grand College, to which the Evans family foundation has provided scholarships.
Many celebrities have been born in or lived in Gallipolis. One is the syndicated columbust of The Great Depression Era, Oscar Odd McIntyre. He began work on the Gallipolis Journal in 1902 and progressed to editorships in newspapers in Dayton,Cincinnati, and NYC, to mention a few. Readers of that era said that his columns were like letters from home, only a a big one - New York.
Oscar used his initials and people called him "O.O." like "Oh, oh!"
Michael Harden of The Columbus Dispatch used a letter format at least once a month when he wrote for the newspaper, from a fictitious aunt in a small Ohio town called Kerosene or similar. People felt that he reminded them of McIntyre in a down-home way.
Having died at the age of 53 in 1938 after a successful career that afforded him a Park Avenue hotel suite, O.O. was buried on the bluffs overlooking the Native American's Big River to whom the song Beautiful Ohio is dedicated: the Ohio. You can visit the O.O. McIntyre Park District in Gallipolis and probably find his grave pretty easily as well.
O.O. McIntyre Park District
Scioto County: Portsmouth Architectural History
Historic Portsmouth Parades
Ross County, Chillicothe - Hopewell Culture; NPS public domain
Chillicothe: Feast of the Flowering Moon every May - FREE!
Belcan Corporation, Founded 1958
The private, family-owned company does other professional job placement, but the science and engineering fields seem to be their forte in Southern Ohio. This is useful in that Belcan helps to place individuals into jobs throughout Southern, Southwestern, and even parts of Central Ohio, including people in the growing Aerospace Industry. The entire Southwest Quadrant of the state fr Cincinnati through Dayton-Fairborn to the Capital, Columbus, comprises the Ohio Space Corridor.
10200 Anderson Way, Cincinnati OH 45242 (Blue Ash neighborhood)
Labor and Business Market
As of March 10, 2013 the Southern Ohio region showed 145,675 jobs advertized within its nine counties.The highest demand jobs among this large number include:
- Engineers at Belcan (various cities): Manufacturing, Software, Electrical, Mechanical, Products, and others.
- Nursing, all types and levels
- Insurance Sales Agents
- Customer Service Representatives in Banks and other Financial Institutions
- Call Center Jobs
- Financial Center Managers
- Mortgage Loan Officers
- Truck Driver/Owner-Operators
- Physical Therapists
- Store Managers
- Business Analysts
Holzer Health System
Several large healthcare systems operate in and adjacent to the counties of Southern Ohio. Cincinnati Children's Hospital is just outside the region and consistently lists the largest numbers of jobs for this area, including within its internationally known children's burn unit.
Holzer Health System is the largest employer, advertising the most jobs, within the 10-county region itself. In recent years, it has expanded with a cencer center, a cariac center, a weight loss clinic, and several other departments to serve Southern, Southeastern, and Southwestern Ohio, as well as parts of Kentucky and West Virginia. In March 2013, Holzer advertised nearly 60 full-time jobs and dozens of opportunities for licensed physicians.
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital- Southwestern Ohio
- Holzer Health Systems - Gallipolis headquarters
- Southern Ohio Medical Center
- Interim Healthcare
- Cabell Huntington Hospital
- Fairfield Medical Center
- Core Medical - Southern Ohio, Kentucky, and West Virginia
- Our Lady of Bellefonte Hospital
- Berger Health System
- Maxim Home Healthcare
- Genesis Healthare
- Havasu Regional HealthCare - West Virginia and Southern Ohio
- Parallon Workforce Management
- Bon Secours Health System - Southern Ohio and Kentucky
- LifePoint Hospitals - Southern Ohio and Kentucky
Additional Information About Southern Ohio
- Native Americans and Cures For Cancer; Medicinal Plants
A revival of herbal medicine, alternative medicine, and Native American medicine techniques and practices emerged in the late 1980s, beginning in Southern Ohio.
- New Jobs in Southern Ohio: Infrastructure and Energy
At last, the most jobs-starved quadrant in Ohio, the Southeast, gained recognition and new jobs creation beginning in late 2011.
- Ohio Festival Guide - Space, Music, Bratwurst, and B...
- $3.25 Billion for Jobs - Top 10 Growing Oil and Gas ...
New jobs for 2012 in Oil and Natural Gas and the industries needed to support them are opening along highways I-77 and I-70 in Ohio. the high demand jobs are expected to be hot and growing through the next few decades. The companies doing the hiring
- Growth In Southeastern Ohio
Traditionally a lower job-producing center than other parts of the state, Southeastern Ohio has kicked job creation into high gear as of 2012 - 2013.