- Travel and Places»
- Visiting Australia & Oceania»
Backpacking Australia- Gold Coast
Gold Coast Beaches and Drinks
Better known for mass amounts of Chinese tourists, silicone women and tattoos this gem of a place is simply magic outside of Surfers Paradise. Jump on a bus and head to Coolangatta for a chilled out beer at the cooly beach hotel and soak up the sun on the quiet cooly beach across the road. Kirra is another quiet yet amazing beach just around the corner. No crowds and some decent beginner surf too. This continues north up the coast through Tugan, Currumbin, Palm Beach and Burleigh Heads. Once you get to Surfers Paradise you will be confronted with seemingly a wall of tourists. Not that that is a bad thing, it means it's party time.
Surfers Paradise has a thriving nightlife that will see you through till the early hours of the morning though backpackers should know that drinks are not particularly cheap and be prepared to pay a cover charge. Cheap drinks can be found though, just make sure you stick to the happy hours or you will be in for a rude shock.
- The Clock $9 jugs of beer $10 jugs of spirits
- Surfers Tavern $7 jugs of beer
- MP's $2 drinks 8pm - 11pm
- You'll find $1-2 beers, spirits, champagne at rose n crown, billys, the party, suga shack
- Melbas happy hour until 8pm every night. $3.50 beers & spirits
Gold Coast- Surfers Paradise
What affordable attractions are there, Sea World....... hmmmm I've been an eco certified tour guide for too long to recommend you visit animal cages. There are lots of other things to do like;
- Sky point climb $74
- Dreamworld+ White water world from $85
- Currumbin wildlife sanctuary $50
- Mini putt surfers paradise $15
- Go James Bond with a Jet boat + Heli tour $163
- Bungy Bullet sling shot $30
- Skydive onto the beach from $345
There are hundreds of other activities to choose from, these are just the most talked about in the backpacker circle.
Where to stay
Most of the popular hostels are in the Surfers Paradise and Main Beach areas there there are some spread out further down the coast towards Coolangatta. People will always tell you that this one is better than that one and vice-versa, remember though it is just a bed. If it has a pool and a bar then then it will have a better social scene but not necessarily better accommodation. The most important thing about picking accommodation is knowing who else is in the dorm and knowing if they snore, steal, make mess, emit body odor and so on. Of course there is no way of knowing this until you enter the room.
- Islander Resort from $30 dorm bed
- Aquarius gold coast from $30 dorm bed
- Surfers paradise YHA from $26 dorm bed
- Backpackers in Paradise from $26 dorm
- Gold Coast Backpackers from $30