Best Heritage Hotels in India
Get Treated Like Royalty
Getting treated like royalty; even for a day, is one of the best feelings in the world.
Heritage hotels in India have a quaint, understated elegance to them. Despite the fact that the decor in these hotels run into several millions, they are never tacky and gracefully blend into the rustic architecture.
Top Heritage Hotels in India
How To Choose the Best hotel?
I have narrowed down the absolute best heritage hotels in India in terms of luxury, decor, ambiance, authenticity, amenities and services.
1. Taj Rambagh Palace – The Rambagh Palace is replete with rich textures, luxury furnishings and exquisite gardens that are arranged in a beautiful symmetry. The hotels offers a plethora of unique experiences - spend a romantic evening in a candle light illuminated tent, gorge on a royal feast under the starry sky and enjoy a game of Polo on elephants. Rambagh Palace exudes a mystical aura that portrays its sense of history and architectural grandeur that transcends time.
2. Taj Falaknuma Palace, Hyderabad - If it's sheer opulence is what you seek then you can't go wrong with the Taj Falaknuma Palace. The name "Falaknuma' translates to 'mirror of the sky' and the story goes that the princess insisted that the exterior color be painted more than 100 times until it perfectly matched the color of the sky at dusk. The fact that the hotel has an resident historian to give a free educational tour is an indicator of the rich history contained within these walls. The interiors are crafted with 18 types of marble, 16 types of wood and 10 types of chandeliers.
3. Devi Garh, Delwara, Udaipur- This hotel is probably the odd one in this list, primarily due to its focus on minimalism. The best part is that doesn't take away the opulence of the hotel. This super stylish hotel was a 18th century Rajput palace fort that was painstakingly reconstructed with modern, minimalist elements. The hotel features 39 suites, all of which are decorated with semi-precious stones and marble.
4. Taj Lake Palace, Udaipur - The Taj Lake Palace, Udaipur - Recently voted the most romantic hotel in India, the Taj Lake Palace represents the crème de la crème of luxury heritage hotels in India. Their Grand Presidential Suite goes for a staggering Rs 6 lakh per room night. Their Rs 10 lakh package will get you picked up from the airport in a Jaguar, greeted by a entourage of fire dancers and folk dancers, a private butler, a personal menu crafted by personal chefs and a chance to drink fine whiskey on the hotel's 150 year old Gangaur boat.
5. Oberoi Grand, Kolkata - Fondly referred to as the 'Grande Dame of Chowringhee', the Oberoi Grand offers the ultimate in luxury and opulence in the City of Joy. The hotel's neo classical facade and massive pillared entrance is the perfect fusion of traditional Indian and classical Victorian architecture. The Luxury Suite with Balcony in the Oberoi Grand comes with a king size poster bed with teak wood floors, drawing cum dining room, large well appointed four fixture bathrooms and four balconies overlooking the courtyard and swimming pool and a personal fax machine.
Cast Your Vote
Which Indian city are you looking forward to visit?
Travel Guide and Resources:
- Top Hotel Reservation Tips in India
While planning for a family tour it is obvious to find and book good hotels. There are lots of online portals that provides hotel deals on quality hotels. You need to check available options before making hotel reservation.
- Top 7 Hotels for Your Family Trip
These hotels are not just a place where you crash for the night; rather they form a major aspect of your vacation. Fodor Hotels Awards 2013 list these hotels as best place to live.