Best Parks for Kids in San Jose
If you're visiting San Jose, CA with your kids and want to have some outdoor fun activities that don't involve any fees, or if you just want to hang out with your friends, San Jose public parks should be your first choice. There are many beautiful and kid-friendly parks in San Jose.
Fowler Creek Park in Evergreen San Jose
Fowler Creek Park is the most beautiful community park in San Jose. It is nestled in the beautiful Evergreen foothill. Fowler Creek park is well designed in terms of creativity and functionality within its area of 12.8 acre with hilly landscape. It has been well kept and draws many visitors from far away beside the people who live close by. Here are some of the fun activities you can do to keep you stay there whole day.
- Host A Birthday party or picnic: There are birthday parties on almost every weekend, especially during summer break. I have seen 7 birthday parties on the same day there.
- Play in two very creative play structures: One structure for kids who are five years old and younger, the other structure is for 6 to 12 year old.
- Fly kites: Most of the time there is enough wind for you to fly a kite.
- Play tennis: There are three tennis courts. Get there early if you want to play tennis there because all three court fill up quite fast. By rule, people should only allow 1 hour of play time if there are people waiting for their turn.
- Play bocce ball: There are two lanes there to play bocce ball, but you need to bring your own balls.
- Play soccer, volleyball, baseball and Frisbee: Plenty grassy area for these sports. You need to bring your own equipments.
- Play water on a hot day: There are water sprouts that kids can control and that is a kids' favorite way to keep cool during a hot day.
- Biking or walking: You can bike or walk on the winding path inside or along the outskirt of the park.
- BBQ: Although there is only one pavilion with 3 BBQ pits, people often bring their own BBQ grill and tents if someone else has reserved the pavilion.
Fun Family Activities at Fowler Creek ParkClick thumbnail to view full-size
Lake Cunningham Park
If you want to enjoy a larger park than the park like Fowler Creek park, Lake Cunningham Park is the place to go. Although there isn't any fancy playground structures except a few swings, there are plenty other activities you can do there.
- Run the Par - This was the most fun my kids had when we went there. They followed the track and finished all 18 courses of the Par. Every time they finished one course, they raced to the next course and followed the instruction for the exercise.
- BBQ or Picnic - There are many picnic areas with BBQ pit. There are also two large pavilions perfect for hosting birthday parties there. People also bring in air jumpers for younger children to play in.
- Volleyball courts - There are two volleyball courts available on a first come first serve basis. But many people would bring their own volleyball equipment and set it up at the spot of their choice.
- Fishing - There are many places by the lake you can relax and enjoy a day there by fishing.
- Walking, running and biking - Lake Cunningham park is a perfect place do all these types of exercises.
- Bird watching - Bring your binoculars if you are a bird watcher. We saw quite a number of interesting birds the last time we went there.
The Natural Charm of Cunningham LakeClick thumbnail to view full-size
Things To Do At Lake Cunningham ParkClick thumbnail to view full-size
Parking at Lake Cunningham park is $6 on weekdays and $10 on weekends.