Charleston, South Carolina's Finest Low-country Boil
How many folks love Frogmore stew?
Origins of Frogmore Stew
Frogmore stew or Lowcountry boil was founded in the 1960's in Beaufort, South Carolina on St. Helena Island. In the 1980's the name Frogmore Stew was abolished and renamed Lowcounty boil because Frogmore was only one of St. Helena Island's many communities. History is South Carolina so help yourself to it one dish at a time. Just keep in mind to keep plenty of napkins and trash bins because this is a very messy dish and not for the delicate folks up North.
Homemade Frogmore Stew
- Prep time: 1 hour 15 min
- Cook time: 15 min
- Ready in: 1 hour 30 min
- Yields: serves 10 people
- 2-3lbs Shrimp, Fresh(or frozen)
- 2lbs Kielbasa Sausage, Cut into 2-3 inch pieces
- 12 Ears of Corn, Fresh or Frozen
- 1 Bag of Old Bay Seasoning
- 12 Small Red Potatoes
- 1/2 Fresh Lemon
- 1 Can of Beer, Any kind
- 1 Stockpot
Charleston's finest singer Darius Rucker
Frogmore Stew Cooking...Down to Business
- Pour a can of beer, lemon, and a bag of Old Bay Seasoning in your Stockpot.
- Add about 5 quarts of water.
- Bring all ingredients to a boil and add your small red potatoes.
- Let all of these ingredients boil for around 8 minutes.
- Next, add your ears of corn and Kielbasa Sausage.
- Let that cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add your shrimp to the pot.
- As soon as your shrimp turns pink, reduce heat and place on table covered with newspaper or serving bowl of your choice.
- Eat and Enjoy!!
Best Eatin' in the South
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||99|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 11 g||17%|
|Saturated fat 4 g||20%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 28 g||9%|
|Sugar 7 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 31 g||62%|
|Cholesterol 150 mg||50%|
|Sodium 1140 mg||48%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|