- Travel and Places
Cheaply Move Across Country
Moving Across The Country For Cheap
Moving across the country can be a timely, stressful, and expensive experience. However, it doesn’t have to be that way if the time is spent in advance researching what different cross country movers have to offer. Packing, storage, unpacking, setting up at the new home, and rate comparison are all important points to consider. The most important question is:
Are you going to be moving yourself of hiring cross country movers?
Packing For A Move Across The Country
Packing can be done by the individual moving or by the professionals. Many try to keep it cheap by doing it themselves, however time, effort, damage, and possible health issues may contradict the savings.
Professionals are experienced allowing them to pack at a much faster pace. Additionally, because they pack valuables almost daily, they will know how to pack properly to avoid damage during the move. They are also trained to pack and move items without causing physical injury.
Conversely, most individuals have never moved long distance. Everything in the home will likely be moved in one trip rather than several small trips that are common in short moves. This takes a larger effort and time commitment. A lot more work is being done in a short period of time. This often leads to back pain and other possible injuries.
Tips For Packing Up Yourself...Cheaply!
- Use newspaper or junk mail to wrap your glassware and ball it up for good box stuffing and extra padding. Don't waste unnecessary money buying packing peanuts or paper when you can recreate them easily for free.
- Don't buy moving boxes! Get free boxes for moving from local grocery stores or department stores. Costco, Walmart, Target, and any grocery store around has a lot of excess boxes lying around daily. Go ask an employee or manager if they can give you some of them for free. Most stores have no problem with this at all as long as they aren't too busy.
- Sell off all of the stuff you don't need. Take your extra items into pawn shops or sell them online on Craigslist or Ebay before your move. If you can't sell them and they aren't worth the hassle of moving across the country, you can always donate your things to a charity like Goodwill or Salvation Army. Try to make some extra money before you move by selling your things and lightening your load as much as possible.
- Use your blankets, sheets, towels and clothing for extra wrapping and padding for your breakable items and furniture. If you want to cheaply move your furniture across the country by yourself, then you should definitely make sure its properly padded and protected for the long trip!
For more great tips for planning, packing, and moving across country, visit this website: http://www.moveacrosscountry.net
The household is packed up and on the truck before the individual or family. Many families prefer to make their trip across country a vacation and therefore take several days to arrive at their new home. It is important when comparing rates to ask the charge for storage.
If possible, find a company that will store items up to a month for no additional charge. This can be easier to negotiate than one may think. Often the moving company has more than one household on the truck. By transporting two or more households on one trip, the company saves money and therefore is happy to accommodate by storing items for a reasonable period of time.
Moving Across The Country On A Small Budget
Unpacking & Setup After Your Cross Country Move
As with packing, be sure and find out the rates for the company to unpack the household items. Often it isn’t as cost effective as packing. Unpacking boxes can be done in a more relaxed timeframe. Also, damage and physical injuries are less likely.
However, having the professionals set up the furniture may be worth the cost due to the physical work involved. By having the furniture put in place, the new house will feel like home and unpacking the boxes may be a bit less of a daunting task.
Cheap Cross Country Moving Companies
Compare prices from multiple cross country movers to find the cheapest deals. Make the movers compete for your move across the country and save big!
Cross Country Rate Comparison
By far, the way to get the cheapest rate for a long distance move across the country is to compare the rates among different movers. Obtain a detailed estimate that includes every possible fee including packing supplies. Also make sure to ask about discounts. Being a member of an organization often allows for significant savings. Don’t be afraid to ask for a price match. If a certain company is preferred, but they are going to charge more, they may be willing to do it cheaper in order to get the business and potential referral.
Cheap price is important, but be sure each company contacted has been in business awhile, is insured and has referrals available. It is crucial to find out before signing a contract with a professional moving company, what will happen if any of the household items end up missing or damaged. The bottom line is to make sure everything is in writing.
Moving across the country is an exciting journey. It can also be done cheap and stress free with a little negotiating and proper planning.
Other Things To Consider
- Moving prices are considerably higher in the summer months due to high demand. If possible, move over the winter months if you want to save money hiring a cross country moving company to move you.
- Always check your cross country moving company's reputation on the BBB.org website to make sure they are doing good business.
- If you are moving yourself across the country without any electronics or large furniture, then you should look into Amtrak.com for shipping your belongings. They offer the cheapest prices on shipping up to 150lbs of clothes and small belongings.
Tips For Moving Across Country Cheaply
Hopefully the tips and information in this hub will help you significantly lower costs on your upcoming move across the country. Moving yourself is always the cheapest dollar amount, but the risk of things going wrong is a lot higher.
If you have the extra money, I recommend hiring a cross country moving company to relocate you. Either way though, there are great tips here to help you cheaply move across the country. Good luck & happy moving!
Cross Country Movers Reviews
© 2013 David Johnson