Visit Romania - Danube Delta – a land of dream
Danube Delta is one of the last places in Europe where you can truly enjoy nature in most spectacular ways. It is a paradise of flora and fauna, a land that seems fantastic when you reach it and provides you memories that can never be forget.
This dream land is situated mostly in Romania, where Danube flows in the Black Sea, although a part of it is on Ukraine territory. One of the weak side is that infrastructure is poorly especially on land. The easiest way for tourists is to go to Bucharest with airplane and after that by car on highway half way and then on a national road up to city Tulcea. See the road map here:
From there you have to take the ferry to reach at your destination. Here you can see a local company services :
Although is possible to go on your own and set camp in this wild land it is highly recommended to go to some local pensions where you can beneficiate of the local guides experience in providing you one of the most sensational holiday you ever experienced.
You can consult what several of those guesthouses have to offer here:
The beauty of this land resides in the fact that it is a place almost untouched by the trace of civilization. It is the closest thing that you can visit in Europe and feel like you reach in Amazon.Exploring the wilderness of the Delta is a thrilling experience. In here there are more then three hundred species of birds, many of them being unique in the world. There you can find the largest breeding colony of pelican and cormorant from Europe. Gliding in a boat through the maze of channels you will find that the view is breathtaking. Rich willows caress shores of channels with their branches while you pass between the most beautiful water lilies you ever seen. It won’t take long and you will arrive in places where you can fulfill your fishing desire. With more then one hundred species of fish like pike, carp, catfish, zander, roach, bream and perch you may find that those fishing stories that you laughed at can be true. And of course, after that you will learn to appreciate the most delicious fisherman’s soup made with water from Danube witch gave the soup the flavor that you can’t find anywhere else.
Other special attraction that you can enjoy in your vacation is “Letea” forest, attested as the most northern tropical forest. A broad variety of flora and fauna exists in this place and is mainly known for presence of the tropical creeper named Periploca Graeca, only found in Mediterranean area.
After that you can ask local guides to take you to visit historic monasteries, sample wine from vineyards dating back to the Roman Empire or savor the finest caviar in the world, the Beluga from the Black Sea.
- It is always useful to have a survival kit at your disposal ( flashlight, knife, medical kit, small supply reserves, fresh water )
- Do not try to spend the night under open sky specially in May or June because of the mosquitoes increased activity.
- Do not drink water from Danube unless you boiled it first
- Do not explore unknown areas without a local guide
- Danube Delta is the second largest river delta in Europe after Volga Delta, with approximate surface of 1.603 square miles.
- In 1991 the Romanian part of Danube Delta became part of the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites.
- There are more then 100 species of fish in Danube Delta which represent around 98% of European aquatic fauna.