East Mount Zion Baptist Church, Cleveland, Ohio
Known by most simply as “the green stone church”, this handsome and distinctive structure has served the spiritual needs of area residents since the start of the 20th Century, first as The Euclid Avenue Christian Church (a Disciples of Christ congregation), then, since 1955, as The East Mount Zion Baptist Church. The church is a registered Cleveland landmark.
George Kramer designed this distinctive green edifice, situated at the corner of East 100th Street and Euclid Avenue, abutting the Cleveland Clinic campus, with the facility’s windows and substantial interior woodwork undertaken by J.R. Lamb Studios.
Congregational membership exceeded 2,000 for a time in the late 1920s, but has declined through the present day, as suburbanization and the continuing growth of the surrounding Cleveland Clinic have reduced the number of local resident families, and increased the commute for others.
The East Mount Zion Baptist congregation had first formed in the 1890s, when founding Deacon Alexander Roberson arrived in Cleveland from the South. The Deacon’s Baptist Mission grew through the succeeding years, initially relying on home prayer groups, then on successive locations for services, aided by itinerant ministers. The congregation’s first home church was constructed on the city’s east side in 1910; there it remained until 1923.
After three successive decades within another acquired church structure at Cedar Avenue and East 103rd Street, the East Mount Zion congregation acquired their present facility in 1955. Eight years later, the congregation acquired additional land for parking.
For the past 23 years, Pastor A. Charles Bowie has led the East Mount Zion Baptist Church congregation. Under his guidance, the church has expanded its community outreach services, including the Lifeline Ministry, begun in 1982, which supplies food to several hundred needy families weekly. Other programs also deal with such issues as sexual integrity, health, music, evangelism, wellness, weight-loss and breast cancer screening.
The congregation of East Mount Zion has recently stabilized at around 1,500 persons. In 2003, the Pastor presided over the opening of the A. Charles Bowie Educational Center, a neighboring structure — also clad in greenish stone and bearing design features and details reflective of the parent church — housing many of the church’s community programs.
- Cleveland Botanical Garden
Cleveland Botanical Garden Consisting initially of nothing more than a converted boathouse on Wade Park Lagoon in the University Circle area, the very first garden center in any American city was founded in Cleveland in 1930. In its early years, The.
- Cleveland's University Circle
Come to Cleveland's mecca of cultural, educational and entertainment institutions.
- Circle 118 Townhomes, Cleveland, Ohio
Circle 118 Townhomes, Cleveland, Ohio The cubic exuberance and vibrant colors of the Circle 118 Townhomes enliven the previously dreary eastern edge of University Circle on Cleveland’s East Side. Circle 118 is a project assembled by James...
- University Hospitals, Cleveland, Ohio
University Hospitals, Cleveland, Ohio The University Hospitals of Cleveland — sometimes also referred to as UH Case Medical Center — is one of the largest medical centers in Cleveland, and a nationally ranked quality care provider. Case Medical...
- Cleveland Institute of Music (CIM)
Cleveland Institute of Music (CIM) Yet another fine academic and fine arts facility residing in Cleveland’s University Circle district is the Cleveland Institute of Music (CIM). Founded in 1920, this private conservatory of music serves a...
- Cleveland Institute of Art (CIA)
Cleveland Institute of Art (CIA) Originally founded as the Western Reserve School of Design for Women, The Cleveland Institute of Art has been an established arts institution at the heart of University Circle for the past 125 years. This...
- Hanna Statue, Cleveland, Ohio
Hanna Statue, University Circle, Cleveland, Ohio The work of one of the world’s most respected sculptors, Augustus Saint-Gaudens, graces Cleveland’s University Circle area, in the form of the heroic seated figure of Marcus Alonzo Hanna. Born in...
- Cleveland's University Circle
Anyone who has traveled to Cleveland has marveled at the wonder that is University Circle.
- Epworth-Euclid Church, Cleveland, Ohio
Approaching its 90th year of serving its congregation, the Oil-Can Church, erected in 1928, regally presides over a key intersection in Clevelands east-side.
- The Cleveland Clinic's Miller Pavilion
One of the newest and most significant additions to the burgeoning Cleveland Clinic campus on Clevelands east side.