All Ages Fun Games, Activities and Things to Do at a Picnic
Summer is in full swing and fall is just around the corner. Both of these seasons are terrific seasons for getting together with friends, family and co-workers for a picnic. You can pack up a lunch and take an all-ages group to a local park, a nearby hiking trail or a body of water (like a river or lake) near your home. It makes for a great afternoon and can encourage some terrific relaxation and bonding among any group. There's nothing wrong with going on a picnic without any plans; you'll still have a great time. But it's even better if you plan some fun activities to enjoy with the group during the picnic.
Here are some fun things that you can do during a picnic with the people you love:
- Tell stories. One of the things that people often like to do at picnics is to talk. Trade stories and information. Actually stop and listen to one another for a change. Discuss the things that you never bother discussing like what your favorite travel experience was or where you see yourself in five years or what you have always wished that you hadn't done. Talk and get to know the people that you are with.
- Read a play aloud together. If you have a big enough group then this can really be fun. Whether you actually get dressed up and re-enact the play or you just read the parts aloud while seated, it can bring a lot of fun to the picnic. People who don't want to participate can just watch and enjoy the experience. Reading short stories or poetry is another option.
- Get dressed up for a themed picnic. Picnics are more fun if they have a theme to them. You can do a 1950s theme or a beach theme or a Shakespeare theme or an animal theme or whatever. Try to bring foods that go with that theme. For example, a 1950s theme might have hot dogs and cherry coke; you would wear retro style shorts and a shirt that ties up in front. Alternatively, a Shakespeare theme might have tea and cookies and you'd be dressed in Victorian garb.
- Play cards. As long as it's not windy out, the group can have a great time playing card games with one another during a picnic. You might bring a cribbage board or some board games along as well. You don't want to bring games that have too many pieces but you can bring things like checkers or chess.
- Get active. One of the best things to do at a picnic is to get active with the people you are there to spend time with. Volleyball, badminton, hiking, biking, Frisbee, tag ... these are all games that you can play at a picnic with a group of almost any size.
- Fly a kite. What picnic is complete without a kite? Alternatively you might bring other "kids toys" such as hula hoops to the picnic. Have a good time. You are out there to play and enjoy yourselves!
The amount of things that you can do on a picnic is really only limited by your own imagination. Have a great time!