Annual Indian Art and Handicrafts Exhibition at India International Trade Fair, Pragati Maidan, New Delhi
Glimpses of Art and Handicrafts of India!
Winter is the season in New Delhi, when all you want is a hot cup of coffee, loads of Tandoori chicken, or Tandoori veggies, and all this in the warm Sunshine of the wonderful IITF ground, the International Trade fair ground, or Pragati Maidaan, as it is popularly called.
The IITF is an annual affair, but every year, one can witness even more enthusiasm than before, to see the wonderful exhibition.
- India is a country, full of colours along all its length and breath.
- Every state of India has something unique and special to offer.
- Each one is better than the other. There is abundance of Art and Craft, especially Handicrafts.
- There is variety in fabrics, each unique in its own way.
- India has rich cotton fabric in states like Gujarat and West Bengal, whereas rich silks in Southern states like Tamil Nadu, and Kerala. The lavish silks of Kashmir are World famous.
- Each state boasts of its own unique art form:
Madhubani paintings of Bihar,
Tanjore paintings from South,
Rajput art and paintings from Rajasthan,
Mughal paintings---the list is countless, the colors and theme beyond imagination.
The IITF ground, Pragati Maidan, New Delhi, Source: YouTube
What Exactly Is Handicraft?
What is Handicraft!
- Handicrafts is Art and Craft made purely with hands, by skilled artisans. And for this purpose simple raw materials are used, which are normally available around us.
- The artisans create variety of consumer goods, or decorative items using clay, beads, shells, bamboo plant, paper, wooden, or metal pieces etc. with simple tools. Usually this creativity is passed on to the next generation.
- The weaving and embroidery work on silk and cotton fabric is also done in many parts of the country, and requires lot of precision, and fine work by the artisans. Each piece they create is a masterpiece.
- Lot of creation can be seen by cane and bamboo artisans. One can find the whole set of sofas, tables, and beds made with these materials.
- Then you have Block printing, Batik painting, Patola, and various other fabric art.
- A lot of variety can be seen in Pottery too---colorful as well as affordable. So, that you can buy a lot as crockery or decorative pieces.
- Carpet weaving is another art form, especially in Kashmir, Uttar Pradesh etc.
- Countless variety of art and craft is available at Delhi Haat, where it is displayed throughout the year.
The art and handicrafts exhibition at New Delhi Trade Fair grounds
Tha Annual India International Trade Fair, Pragati Maidan,New Delhi
India International trade fair at New Delhi---
Every year, an India International Trade Fair, is held at New Delhi's 'Pragati Maidan', which is also called the 'Trade fair ground.’
It‘s perhaps the largest trade fair held in this part of the world, where many countries besides India also participate.
The purpose of IITF---
- The whole purpose is to showcase the magnificent work of art and craft at one place and exchange and increase business in the process.
- We have the opportunity to see the skilled artisans 'LIVE' at work, which is not possible otherwise, because most of them belong to remote villages. And whoever visits the trade fair, has an experience of a lifetime.
- One can see, artisans weaving fabrics of silk, to be made into beautiful dress material or sarees, potters creating beautiful pots out of clay, bangles being made with glass and so on.
- It‘s spread in a huge area and it is not possible to cover all the pavilions in one single day.
- The weather at this time of the year is awesome. The arrangements are excellent.
- The atmosphere is absolutely fit for a family outing and there is festivity and celebration in the air.
- After you visit the fair, you are sure to return with sweet memories and loads of positive energy.
- The organisers name a new theme every year and most of the stalls showcase their artwork, related to that particular theme.
- Contests are held and prizes are distributed for the best pavilion, best stalls as well.
- Live show, cultural program of music and dance in the open theatres are an added attraction.
Would you like to visit the India International Trade Fair after seeing its glimpses?
© 2012 Chitrangada Sharan