Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort and Spa Review
Mexico is an exceptional travel destination with a multitude of activities to fit the style of any traveler. With over fifty all inclusive resorts in the Riviera Maya alone to choose from, planning a vacation can be a little daunting.
But don't worry, I'm here to make things a little easier with a detailed review of the Grand Sirenis Hotel and Spa in the Riviera Maya area of Mexico.
Location: The resort is located about 45 minutes from the Cancun International Airport. The drive does allow you to see more of Mexico than just staying near the airport would though. The resort itself is located near a variety of fantastic excursions. There is fabulous shopping available in Playa Del Carmen, dolphin excursions, natural water parks, snorkeling, scuba diving, cenotes, and Mayan Ruins all a quick taxi drive away.
Rooms: Every room on the resort boasts a jacuzzi large enough for two, a king or two full-sized beds, a sofa bed, an air conditioner, an in-room mini bar, a safe, and a balcony. The rooms are very spacious (the smallest measuring in at 450 square feet) and are extremely clean. Towel art is left for guests everyday as well as a restocked mini bar.
Food: This resort offers an assortment of dining choices. There is a Cajun Restaurant, Mexican Restaurant, Brazilian Grill, Steakhouse, Italian Restaurant, Japanese Restaurant, and a Mediterranean Restaurant which are all included in the all inclusive plan (up to three per week). I personally tried the Brazilian, Steakhouse, and Japanese and can say that the food was exquisite. There are also two buffets on the resort, a multitude of bars, an ice-cream parlor, and a taco bar.
Pools: There are three large free form pools located on the resort, two of which include a swim-up bar. There is also a pool for children and an area for adults only. The staff frequently organizes pool activities such as water polo and water aerobics. The pools are large enough that there are quiet, relaxing areas you can go to if you do not want to participate in the activities. This resort even offers a relaxing lazy river.
Live Entertainment: There is live entertainment in the theater every night. I personally found the shows to be hit or miss. Sometimes the performers were obviously lip syncing. The dancing was very entertaining though and the music was amazing when it was live.
Beach: Bring your snorkels, because this beach has some of the best snorkeling that I have ever seen! There are a variety of colorful fish and wildlife that can be seen playing in the reefs off of the shore. The water is crystal clear and a gorgeous shade of blue. The beach is very private and there is always a cabana free. The waitresses were wonderful and kept everyone on the beach from going thirsty. The sand is gorgeous, but does get a little rocky in some areas. For this reason I would recommend bringing swim shoes. The resort offers kayaking and snorkeling off of the beach which is included in the all inclusive plan. For an extra price, guests can enjoy jet skis and scuba diving.
- Bring your own beach towels! The resort gives you towel cards and charges if you lose the cards. For your own peace of mind, bring your own beach towels so that you do not have to worry about getting your towel stolen and paying a fee.
- The beds are a little hard, but you can request a pillow top to be added to your bed free of charge.
- If you book a shuttle, which I recommend, ignore the representatives inside the airport that tell you they are with your shuttle company or that they are going to point you in the right direction. Just go straight outside and then find your shuttle company. These "representatives" are really just trying to sell you timeshares and are extremely pushy.
- The lights and the air conditioner in your room only work if your key card is in the wall slot. This is to keep you from running your air while you are not in your room. If you are like me and want to come back to a cold room, just keep your extra card in your wall slot while you are out.
- The resort will exchange your currency for you at the front desk and normally has a better rate than the airport or shops.
Overall, this resort is a fantastic place to get-away. The resort offers enough activities that guests will never get bored, but is close enough to excursions for guests that want to experience more of what Mexico has to offer.