Great Gifts for Travelers: Carry on Bags
There is a lot of choice out there when it comes to choosing the best carry on bags. So I have done my research and come up with three styles of the best lightweight luggage, which are also great value for money. They are great gifts for travelers.
The last time I got on a plane I was shocked at what people use as carry on bags -some of them were so big that they could hardly be lifted on to the luggage compartment over our heads. And the situation is getting worse -I'm talking about budget flights, where they charge a premium for putting bags in the hold. The
Believe it or not it is quite possible to fit everything you need into your carry on bag providing you prepare everything very carefully and try to predict all the things you will be doing while you are away.
Below are a few simple rules to abide by and remember you never wear as much as you bring.
Please vote before you read on.
Are you a light traveler?
Great Gifts for Travelers: Carry on Bag 1
This is a bag that converts into a ruck sack so it is perfect for an adventure traveler.
If you follow my tips about packing you will be able to fit everything you need in this bag and have no need to put anything in the hold.
Here's a video that explains more about it.
Tip: Deciding What to Pack
Here are my top tips:
- Wear your bulky clothes on the journey, including your bulky walking shoes or boots.
- Pack an empty bag so when you get to the airport at your destination you can change out of the warm clothes if you need to, and pack them in the empty bag. Do the same for your return journey; wear the bulky clothes and change into them at the airport if it's hot.
- Take older things on holiday as they are usually more comfortable than new clothes. You can wear them out and throw them away, making room for anything new you may buy.
- If you want to buy new things before you go think of buying the most efficient travel clothes, and work out how many things you could do wearing each item. For example a pair of black trousers can be worn for many different reasons.
- Color-code your gear so everything matches. Choose a color and find different tones of it. It’s just easier that way.
Fancy a trip?
- G Adventures | Amazing Adventure Travel
The official site of the world's greatest adventure travel company. We offer a wide selection of small-group tours, safaris and expeditions. Start exploring.
Make sure you know what the weather is going to be like.
Years ago I was caught out when I went to Bangladesh from the UK and learned a very important lesson: cotton is the best material to wear when you’re in the heat!
I had packed so many lightweight materials, but in the end I could only wear cotton, so I had to wear my only cotton tee and a man’s longhi that my friend happened to have in his bag! I was there for 4 weeks! This was many years ago and it wasn't possible to just buy a tee shirt ‘off the shelf’
I can tell you I got some very strange looks! I had to cover my hair too, so my outfit left a great deal to be desired. It was just too hot to care – the monsoon takes some getting used to.
There are modern fabrics around that are great because they wick sweat from your body and are quick drying. But these are for cold conditions, and they’re perfect for walking holidays and activity holidays. But if you’re on a touring type trip somewhere hot – then thin cotton wins every time! I haven’t come across a better fabric yet.
Great Gifts for Travelers: Carry on Bag 3
This bag is a quality made product that will last for years. It has good strong zips and is very easy to wheel around - it has spinning capacity which means it will not topple over.
It is waterproof with a polyester cover but it has a fabric lining.
It ha s a zipped pocket in the lid and straps that compress clothes in the main compartment so you can get a lot of gear inside.
It is very light when empty.
This bags even has a suit compartment inside so you can easily hang up your suit when you arrive at your hotel.
What will you actually need?
- Pack to be comfortable. Make sure you pack your favorite gear, things you like to wear, things that you feel good in.
Obviously the kind of trip you go on will dictate what you'll need. Will you be on an hiking holiday or will you need to dress up because you’ll be visiting theatres and fancy restaurants?
- Black pants and a black skirt. Black shoes. They all work for evening wear with the right accessories.
- Accessories are important because they help you to dress up you outfits things like scarves or headbands.
Ready to pack your bag?
When, at last, you are ready to pack your bag, put everything on the bed. Make sure you have enough of the essentials, like tee shirts and undies and then ruthlessly disregard the rest.
Put your shoes in first and balance them out by putting on each side of the bag.
Then starting with the essentials roll them up like sausages into the smallest size possible and squeeze them into the corners and edges of your bag. Continue filling your bag from the edges inwards.
It's a good idea to put loose things like accessories in small bags so that they can be squeezed into corners.
Use the draw strings to tighten everything up and to hold things in place. It's amazing how much the Ebag I above can cope with!
Do not pack things you will need on the flight. Remember you can have a handbag in the cabin too. So that will be where you put things like your laptop and breakable items such as sunglasses, mobile phone etc.
That's all there is to traveling light!
Thanks very much for you visit. Here's an article I wrote about Microfiber Towels they will save you so much room in your case!
© 2014 Giovanna