Historical Okmulgee, Oklahoma - 1920-1929
Okmulgee History: The Roaring 20's and a Slow Decline
The Roaring 20's hit Okmulgee much like it did in the rest of the country. Radio programs were popular, as television hadn't been invented yet. People sat around and listened to popular shows or music from the great Jazz artists such as Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington. Towards the middle of the 20's, vaudeville theaters were slowly being replaced by movie theaters. It was a time of great prosperity. Many of Okmulgee's great architectural buildings were erected at this time, and most remain standing to this day.
The oil business had grown substantially as the fields continued to
produce and new oil sands were discovered. Okmulgee was crowded with oil
men and geologists. Townspeople could always spot the geologists by
their high laced boots. Airplanes were being used for aerial
reconnaissance to speed up the process of hunting for oil. Billy Burke
and Fred Roberts were partners in the first airplane in Okmulgee; it
was stored on the old Morris highway.
Okmulgee's days as a great, booming city were numbered. The great stock market crash of 1929 marked a turning point in Okmulgee's history. Many of the wealthy and powerful were reduced to poverty, and Okmulgee entered into a period of decline that lasted many years afterward.
Okmulgee Timeline: 1919-1929
March 8, 1921 - Publication of two Okmulgee newspapers, The Times, a morning paper, and The Democrat, evening, was suspended today because of a strike by printers of their respective plants, over failure of union officials and their owners to reach an agreement on new contracts for a wage scale for the year.
1921 - Okmulgee's New Hotel Okmulgee, Okla.—A million-dollar hotel, planned and financed by the Chamber of Commerce, is under construction in Okmulgee and will be ready for occupancy early in 1921. This is said to be the first hostelry of its class to be built in the state. The Hotel Okmulgee, as it is called, is eight stories high, occupies one-half a city block, and is constructed of brick and terra-cotta. There are 234 guest-rooms, a ballroom, three large dining-rooms, several private dining rooms, and a large lobby. The hotel contains every modern convenience, including servidors in the kitchen.
The money with which to build the hotel was raised by the Chamber of Commerce in a two-day drive in which the business men, oil and coal producers, and manufacturers of the city subscribed to $250,000 worth of the stock of the Creek Hotel Company organized to handle the project. The purchasers gave promissory notes payable in one year for the amounts of their subscriptions. These notes were deposited in the local banks, by which they are collected as they mature. The Creek Hotel Company has been able to borrow on them the balance required to complete the construction of the building, the entire cost of which, exclusive of the furnishings, is estimated to be about $600,000.When completed, the hotel will be leased to the Oklahoma Hotel Company, which will furnish, equip and operate it. A contract has been made with this company to furnish each guest-room at a cost of not less than $1,200. The completed hotel will represent a total expenditure of about $1,000,000.
1922 - Okmulgee Elks Lodge formed. It currently sits on a 7 acre site that was orginially the Wilson Mansion.
June 26, 1923 - State troops will take charge of Okmulgee county tomorrow morning under the command of Brig.Gen. Alva Niles of Tulsa, it was announced tonight at the Governor's office. Six National Guard units have been ordered out for duty in the county, two of them Okmulgee companies.
1924 Missouri-Kansas-Texas Seeks Purchase of Okmulgee coal road.
May 7, 1929 - SALO WINS 60-MILE LAP.; Leads Foot Racers From Okmulgee to Holdenville, Okla.
Stories of Okmulgee 1919-1929
Make Council House Museum for Indian Relics at Okmulgee
May 4, 1923
A Museum, in which will be assembled a valuable collection of Indian relics, will be established here, according to plans of the local chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
The Famous old Council House of the Creek Nation, which formerly was the scene of pow-wows between chiefs of the various tribes, is to be made fireproof and be made into the home for the museum. It is planned.
After the building is thoroughly remodeled, an effort will be made to bring under the one roof many private collections of invaluable Indian relics.
Included in these private collections are the collection of Quanah Parker Bonnets and costumes that has several times been refused the Smithsonian Institute at Washington, the collection of former Congresswoman Alice Robertson and the collection of Alex Posey.
Okmulgee, Capital of Oklahoma?
Judge A. L. Beckett, pioneer of Indian Territory days, was an authority on Creek Indian affairs with emphasis on the political angles. He wrote an article that was published in the Times-Democrat on September 26, 1926. It called attention to a little known or little remembered stage of development of the Indian country politically.
Judge Beckett, former Okmulgeean, was the first county judge of Haskell County after statehood. He later practiced law in Oklahoma City after he had served as secretary of the state school land commission under Gov. W.H. (Alfaalfa Bill) Murray, whose gubernatorial campaign he launched with a constitutional convention reunion in Okmulgee.
There were two namesakes for Judge Beckett. His grandson, Walter Beckett "Becky" Steph grew up in Okmulgee and is now an insurance agent in Oklahoma City. Walter's grandson, who would be the judge's great-great-grandson, is Jeffrey Beckett Humphrey, son of Judge Charles M. and Nancy (Steph) Humphrey of Okmulgee.
The following begins the article written by the judge:
"It is surprising how many Okmulgee people have forgotten, or never have known, that for seven years, beginning December 20, 1870, Okmulgee was the seat of government of all the state of Oklahoma except Beaver, Texas, and Cimarron counties, and that but for the unexplainable indifference of congress out city would, in all human probability, now have been the capitol of Oklahoma.
"Little things done or left undone have decided the fate of more than one city in Oklahoma. Had Wagoner only visioned the importance of the work to be done by the Dawes commission at the time of its creation and made provision for quarters in which the commission might transact its business, Muskogee would not have been the center of Indian activities and departmental business and one of the dominant towns on the east side. Wagoner then was the larger of the two. It had two railroads and every apparent advantage.
"However, Wagoner would not provide a suitable place in which the commission might do its work, Muskogee grasped the opportunity and the result is known to all."
Okmulgee Street Cars
On April 12th, after a long politic battle, beginning with first submission in 1907, the Okmulgee streetcar began running. The cars between downtown ran and the Frisco depot. On July 4th, the cars carried over 4000 passengers, at a nickel a ride - to Lambert's amusement park (Lake Park) at the south end of Ohio Street.
© 2010 Eric Standridge