- Travel and Places»
- Visiting North America»
- United States
Asheville, NC - Vegetarian Review: Homegrown in Asheville
Homegrown in Asheville, on Merrimon Avenue to the north of the city, is an eclectic cafe and restaurant that provides a very interesting variety of locally sourced, delicious food in a simple, un-fussy and friendly way. Although much of the menu is meat and fish, the menu changes on a daily basis and there are always some gems there for vegetarians and vegans.
Business hours & contact details
- Hours: Open every day, 8 AM to 9 PM
- Address: 371 Merrimon Avenue, Asheville, NC 28801
- Phone no: 828-232-4340
Local food with good provenance
Decent selection of vegetarian dishes (starters and entrees)
Simple, unfussy surroundings
- A great place to go and eat healthful, tasty grub!
What to watch out for
- Not a place for a long, romantic evening, the restaurant has more of a 'cafe' vibe and is simply decorated
About Homegrown in Asheville
With their motto of 'Slow Food, Right Quick', Homegrown in Asheville bases its business around locally sourced, sustainable food that's simply prepared, healthy and delicious. Their philosophy is one of protecting local farmers and producers, and letting good ingredients determine the menu for the day.
Although many ethically and environmentally aware people are trying to eat more locally and reduce food miles, it's not always easy. Homegrown aims to take that problem away by providing reasonably priced food that's ethically sourced and prepared.
The menu at HomeGrown changes on a daily basis, and is provided on a brightly colored, enormous chalkboard! There are always vegetarian (and normally vegan) choices available; all of the food that we have eaten there has been delicious, and we're not even a third of the way through the vegetarian option yet!
Typical starters for vegetarians include:
Hummus with local veggies and flatbread
Falentil cakes (absolutely divine! The best Falafel you've ever had)
Pcikles and local cheeses
Vegan Hoppin' John Soup
Various farmer's and other salads (including vegetarian Caesar) that you can add tempeh or tofu to
Mains, Sandwiches and sides include:
BBQ tempeh or tofu with Asian slaw (Very good!)
Burrito with cheddar, beans and rice
Sautéed vegetables (Sesame Greens, squash etc.) and more
Local and environmental credentials
In addition to being 'Green Restaurant Certified', HomeGrown also sources from some great local farms including:
- Leaning Willow Farm - This provides many of the restaurants greens and vegetables including broccoli, collards, kale, elephant garlic (of the leek family), specialty squashes and more.
- Long Valley Organics - Supplies the watercress used to make HomeGrown's fabulous pesto.
- New River Organic Growers - A cooperative of many local farms, they provide free-range eggs, seasonal vegetables, micro greens and goat cheese.
- Watauga River Farms - This farm grows almost every kind of vegetable, including chard, rhubarb, greens, taters and more.
- Whispers Hollow Farms - This farm in organic veggies as well as juicy fruits and berries, which find their way to your plate at HomeGrown.
- Wool Branch Farm - Wool Branch Farm provides HomeGrown's juicy, succulent tomatoes.
- Yellow Branch Farm - A purveyor of fine cheeses and dairy products!
Let us know what you think of HomeGrown in Asheville
Have you eaten at HomeGrown?
If you're a vegetarian in Asheville (and really, why would you want to be anywhere else?) give HomeGrown a try - Simple, delicious, flavorsome and ethical. Perfect.