- Travel and Places»
- Travel Transportation
How To Avoid Water Accident
There are three basic means of transport which are roads, air and water. The first two out of the three listed have received so much attention lately and attention has been shifted to the water transport. In other words, so much attention has been on developing the waterways. Water transport happens to be the cheapest and the most feasible means of transporting goods and passengers. The transportation of very large amount of goods within a country, between countries or continents separated by waters, has been by means of water transport through the waterways.
The fact that water transport is safe and economical does not mean that it does not weird some dangers. We shall discuss the danger associated with water transport later.
The largest carrier of freight in the history of humanity has been the means of transport on or through the waters. As being said before, the means of transport on or through the waters is now gaining more attentions than before because of its cheapness and capacity to convey very large consignments. Water transport could be over a short or long distance. Goods or passenger could be conveyed by a boat, a ship, a barge, a vessel, etc., on the sea or lakes, or through the river or canals.
Types of Watercraft
Watercrafts are craft use for water transport. They all vary in types and sizes depending on the purpose for which they are built. Let us look at some of the common watercraft.
1) Tugboats: tugboats are used as tow-water-vehicle. They can pull or push other watercraft over the sea or lakes, or through the river or canals. They are used in towing abandon ships, barges or dismantled vessel.
2) Cruise ships: These are watercraft use in the tourism industry. They are ship use in conveying passengers purposely for pleasure. They are used to garner tourism experience.
3) Ferries: these are passenger ships that sail the sea or lakes, or through the river or canals. They are purposely designed to convey passengers for commercial enterprise. The passenger capacity of ferries varies depending on the capacity to which that particular ferry is designed.
4) Tankers: these are ship usually used for the purpose of liquid transportation. They are used when the transportation of liquid substance such as liquefied gas, crude oil, petrol etc., are required. They are group under cargo ships.
5) Container ships; these are another group of cargoes ship. They are diesel engine ships which convey consignments in container boxes. They can Coney a very large number of container boxes from one shelf to another.
Accidents on Waters and their Avoidance
As being said before, as there are roads and air accidents, so there are waterways accidents, and we are going to be looking at how to prevent it from occurring; but before we proceed on that we need to look at some of the likely accident and their causes.
1) Reckless operation or driving: the manner in which watercraft is operated matters a lot; if recklessly handled, accidents will be inevitable. A rider or driver of a watercraft must always be very careful as any slight recklessness may result in an accident. Reckless driving could also be regarded as disobedient to rules of operations: that is when the rules of operations are partially or totally disobeyed. Drivers of any watercraft should always be careful and passengers should always be conscious and monitor the driver. Manoeuvring through the other watercraft should be carefully done.
2) High speed: over-speeding as it is disallowed on the road so it is on the waters. High speed is another common cause of water transport accidents. Over speeding could make the driver lose control of the watercraft. Passenger should always monitor the speed of the watercraft and caution the driver whenever over-speeding is noticed.
3) Inattention of the driver or the rider: this is another common reason why accidents occur on the water ways. Many a time the attention of the driver/ rider are carried away. This reason is very peculiar the ferries. The solution to this is to psychologically always monitor the attention of the driver.
4) Inexperienced driver: this is another reason why accidents occur on the waterways. The experience of the driver is very important because it is what will be applicable when the driver encounters any challenge while driving.