- Travel and Places»
- Travel Tips & Preparation
How to Plan a Family Travel: 10 Tips and the Check List
The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.
How To Plan Your Travel
© Chitrangada Sharan April, 2013
All Rights Reserved.
- Are you planning a Family holiday or a honeymoon?
- Or are you thinking of setting off to an adventure tour along with friends?
- If, so this article is for you. The purpose is to have a great time, along with your family and friends.
- Holidays are relaxing and rejuvenating.
- They are in fact lifetime experiences to see, discover, and explore new destinations.
- But if you do not plan it beforehand, you would not be able to enjoy it to the fullest, rather you may end up facing many difficulties.
Planning Your Travel-----Your Checklist
1. Destination-----Where to go?
First of course, is to decide, where you want to go. And that will depend on, how many days, you can spare and how much money you can spend.
If you have a regular office job, you may have to apply for leave, before planning a family travel or vacation.
1.3. Decide together
Accordingly, you can decide a location, within your country or outside your country. This decision is best taken, by the whole family, keeping everyone's opinion/ ideas and preferences.
Parents may choose to go to a quieter place, whereas the children may have the preference for a more happening or adventurous location. This usually happens in my family and most of the time, children have the final say. And it makes us happy, if the children are happy--Right?
2.1. Map, Roadways, Railways, or Airways
It’s important to know the place through maps before you set out to a location. Details such as its Transport system, Road directions, available train services, available airways and the timings of the travel options.
Internet is a useful tool nowadays, to know a place beforehand. You can browse to see the places which are a must visit in that particular area and even read the experience of different people, who have already visited them. Their feedback will help you a lot in deciding your priorities, when you travel to selected location.
2.3. Climate and weather of the selected location
This is very important, because that will enable you to carry your clothes accordingly, rather than packing unnecessary items. For example, if the place is not cold, you would not take your woolens.
2.4. Options of Hotels and Restaurants
You carry a limited amount of money, when you are going out. Try to avoid overspending and preferably eat at economical food joints. All this information about hotels are available on different websites. Choose the one, which best suits your pocket.
3. Booking Tickets and Reservations
3.1. This is the most important part of travelling---having confirmed reservations via rail/ air or others, not only to your destination, but also your return journey.
In between also, if you are going to more than one location, get your prior reservations done.
3.2. Obviously you will be staying at a hotel. Find the one which suits you, via Internet or some Travel agent, and book your rooms in advance, to avoid inconvenience, when you reach.
4. Important Documents To Be Carried While Travelling Abroad
4.1. You all must be aware, that you must have your Passports and visa, if you are travelling outside your country. And these formalities do take time, so prior planning is a must.
It can not be arranged in a short time, because of administrative reasons.
4.2. Carrying your Passport/ visa is a big responsibility and you must take care of your children's documents as well, all through your travel duration.
4.3. Keep xerox copies of all your important documents, tickets, payment receipts etc. You must carry your credit cards along with cash.
5. Notify-----Remain Connected
5.1. Send emails or notify by telephone about your travel schedule to your close family, friends, and office colleagues.
5.2. Although contact numbers are saved in our mobiles nowadays, but it is advisable to keep all the required numbers noted in a diary.
5.3. On an International travel, your Sim card may not work. Buy Sim cards according to the location, you are visiting.
Do you buy travel insurance, when going on a holiday?
6. Travel Light:
6.1. Travelling light is convenient. Pack as much as you can carry comfortably. The selection of bags and boxes is also important. Pick one, with many compartments. Carry some spare lock and keys too.
6.2. Carrying some tissue papers, a swiss knife, a bottle opener/ can opener, extra pair of comfortable shoes or slippers, is a good idea.
7. Medicines And FIRST AID Box
7.1. Carry the basic medicines of your own, for smaller issues like common cold, cough, mild fever, allergies, insect bites, sanitizer etc.
7.2. If someone is on medication for Diabetes, Blood pressure, Thyroid, or some other similar health issue, it is important not to miss those medicines. That too should be within reach, for example in your handbag or purse.
7.3. Some antiseptic ointment, bandages also must be carried for minor cut or bruises.
8. Camera/ Chargers/ Notepad/ Diary
8.1. We are so much dependent on electronic devices nowadays. Charge your mobiles, laptops, cameras etc. before leaving and do not forget to carry them along with you.
8.2. Before checking out from a hotel, make sure you have not left any of your chargers plugged in.
8.3. I always carry a diary, when I go for travel. We see so many locations in a short span of time. It is good to note down in points the specific highlights or historical or other significant details in your diary. You will enjoy reading it afterwards, and you will not miss out anything.
9. Know the Language
9.1. Language can be a great barrier, if you are not familiar with the local language. You can buy a dictionary to make communication easier.
9.2. A travel guide translated in your preferred language, would be helpful.
10. Travel Insurance
10.1. Last but not the least, you must buy a Travel insurance for each member, who is travelling. By buying that, you are in fact buying peace of mind.
10.2. Besides, medical expenses, in case one falls ill during a travel, the travel insurance, covers loss or theft of luggage etc. as well.
However, You must read carefully and compare various travel insurances, before buying one for you.
Enjoy your travel experience
- These are some brief suggestions, but experts are available, both in the city and online websites, if you want to have a memorable travel.
- Many Travel websites such as Make my trip. com , Yatra. com, SOTC and many other agencies are there in this job of planning your travel. You may have to just make the payments and the rest is their headache.
- These travel websites not only book your tickets for 'to and fro ' journey but also book your hotel and taxi at the new destination where you are traveling. Certainly, travelling to a new places has become much easier with technology.
- One last point ---Be flexible, Be realistic and Make the most of your travel. You are on a holiday, so do not rush up everything.
- Wanting to see too much in a limited time, might exhaust you. Take breaks and enjoy each moment.
- Taking pictures has become so much easier with mobile cameras. But it's also important to enjoy the moment , the wonderful location and natural beauty and then capture the memories.
HAVE AN ENJOYABLE TRAVEL EXPERIENCE!
© Chitrangada Sharan 8th April, 2013
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
A Helpful Video on Booking Travel Insurance Online, Source: You tube
Some Tourist Attractions Of India. Source: You Tube
How to use google maps, source: You tube
© 2013 Chitrangada Sharan