- Travel and Places»
- Travel Tips & Preparation
How To Tell When You’re Sleeping in a Room with Bedbugs or Ghosts
Flying IN? Would you sleep in a room with bedbugs or ghosts?
You can’t avoid the intriguing facts learning what could come as ‘freebies’ during your check-in into a hotel guest room whether the location is out in a town or in a bustling city.
If you had a past blood-sucking experience with parasites or any paranormal activity in your hotel room, would you know how to be prepared and handle it the next time you book for a stay?
The Parasite: Bedridden bedbugs!
Check ‘The BedBug Registry’. You pay nothing, just go online. Depending on how updated the website is, there has been gathered reports of 20, 000 bedbug infested establishments on a wide coverage in 12,000 locations across the United States and Canada. But is it reliable enough? Perhaps, but not enough. There are still many businesses in the hospitality category that keep bedbug reports to themselves. Why? Certainly, we know why. With experiences working in hotels, for sure this blood-sucking nature does not call for a vampire slayer, but always gets its immediate attention from the housekeeping, security departments and the bedbug removal people.
What’s a bed bug?
A bed bug does not exist out from nowhere. It travels with a traveller who carries a bed bug from home into his luggage. Bed bugs could attach onto clothing.
A bed bug is a small, oval parasite. It feeds on humans or animals by sucking its blood. Bed bugs don’t really have full wings nor similar cape as the classic vampire wears, but the wings of a bed bug is undeveloped. A bed bug looks closely similar to a tick or a tiny roach, but reddish-brown in colour. While vamps don’t turn red after sucking blood, the bed bug does turn more reddish after nourishment. Adult bed bug reaches up to 7 mm in length. The bugs are too tiny to quickly spot them with your naked eye.
How to identify bedbugs in your hotel room before becoming a victim?
- The arrival. Upon arriving to your room, avoid the free diving and spreading of arms on the bed. Don’t be too quick to unpack your luggage.
- The search. Start acting like a vamp slayer except that you are not searching in the dark. Strip the sheets or bed check in the edges of the mattress where these parasites linger. If you can’t put them back nicely, request for housekeeping service just to set the beddings, normally you don’t get tidying service when you just checked in. Inspect the headboard and bedframe. These bedbugs are active at night, the dark areas supposedly, and take cover during the day. Hmm, sounds familiar?
- The best part. If you don’t get bitten in the night, you’re in luck; still double check for traces of blood stains on your sheets. It may come as tiny brown or rusty-looking dots.
The Paranormal: Ghostly visits in your hotel room!
Are you an adventurous traveller or a ghost hunter? If so, checking-in into a haunted guest room in a hotel in a town or a city would pay you a surprise experience you’ll never forget during your stay. The ghost or ghosts (if there is more than one, sometimes they come in threes) is fairly enjoying a sharing of stay with you, even in your bed. How’s that for your stay?
Why are there ghosts in a hotel room?
Ever heard of an ancient burial ground, perhaps past cemetery grounds or merely guests who had committed suicide in the room? There are guests who could die in bed from a lingering illness, a silent sleep that never woke them and in not-so-rare cases, a murder. These poor souls carried on an unfinished business (huh, the business people on business trips), the rejection of dying early from being ill, the cowardly approach to solving problems in their lives and the restless haunting of a life cut short by murderous acts from mischief, jealousy rage, and whatever it may be.
Hotel management struggle to keep unwanted accidents (leaping from windows and floors) by guests and murders that take place in the rooms even reaching the floor hallways and elevator as secured secrets except if media is involved and it has gone published. Leaks come from valuable sources too like staff and other employees who are just as more as excited to expose happenings when they are to keep ‘things’ hush-hush.
What to watch if you sensed that you are not alone?
How do you tell if your hotel room is genuinely haunted by a frequent spirit or entity? Creepy hotels are composed of all the necessary creepiness from squeaky floors to non-stop tapping of water faucets, but how about the high end hotels? They actually are the same, for spirits don’t choose where they are most comfortable to make their presence known to you.
- Shadows. Check around your view. Is it making any reflection or shadowy figures?
- The spook. Lamp lights flicker on and off. Room phone rings for no reason. Radio suddenly went off really loud. Toilet and shower turn on by itself. Doors shutting and opening not coming from your energy. Call and request for maintenance to check.
- Hearing voices and footsteps? Look around and observe. Oddly, if it comes back to keep you awake the whole night, something must be trying to get your attention. Wouldn’t it be challenging to bring with you a digital tape recorder and turn it on for the night?
- When things or your personal items moved. I take note or try to remember how I lay my things (like small stuff) if I really want to know if someone touches it while I’m away. You can avoid regular room service so you will know that no room attendant has moved your stuff.
- Touching to make you believe. If you’re not imagining it, now, that’s some spirit in the room with you.
Bring along a camera around with you like a good buddy. Hold it above your head and take random snapshots not focusing on a certain object. Who knows what you might accomplish? A floating orb (can be light or dense white; round or orbs in a line form called vortex), an ectoplasm (a substance or spiritual energy formation) or an apparition.
Goodnight, sleep tight, don’t let the bedbugs bite and don’t be a host to a ghost or else you’re toast!