ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

How to Get a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa to China

Updated on June 6, 2012
China Visa
China Visa | Source

Important things to know when you apply for a multiple entry tourist visa to China

If you are thinking about visiting China, then getting a tourist visa to China is the number one priority on your must do list. The procedure of getting a multiple entry visa is the same as getting a single or double entries visa, except that you mark “Multiple Entries” on your Chinese visa application form

Documents you need before applying for a multiple entry tourist visa:

  • Your original passport: It must be valid for at least 6 month and have at least one blank page for the visa.

  • Your photo: One 48mm x 33mm color photo of you facing forward. Must be a recent photo with no head coverings.

  • Your visa application form: Forms are free for you at the Consulate, but if you want to fill them out prior to the Consulate, you can do so by downloading the visa application form. Make sure to mark “Multiple Entries.” The maximum time of each stay is 180 day. You need to check with the local public security authorities in China if you need to stay longer than your visa permits.

  • Previous Chinese Visa: If you have visited China before but the new passport doesn’t show that prior record, you need to make sure to bring your old passport which has the record of you entering China previously.

  • Your child: If you’re traveling with your child and it is your child’s first time applying for a Chinese visa, you will need to provide your child’s original birth certificate on top of all the same requirement as yours.

Fee for a Chinese Visa:

If you are a U.S. Citizen, as of today on April 2012, the cost is $140 for a visa to China no matter how many entries you want to make. But for non-U.S. Citizens, it is $60 for multiple entries for 6 months.

Number of Entry
U.S. Citizens
Citizens of Third Countries
Single Entry
Double Entries
Multiple Entries for 6 Months
Multiple Entries for 12 Months or more

How and Where to obtain a Chinese visa:

There are only two ways to obtain your multiple tourist visa: Apply in person or have someone else submit the necessary documents for you as long as you have signed your papers. Applications mailed in will not be accepted.

-------- Apply in person --------

Find the location of the China Consulate/Visa Office nearest to you. Not every city has a China Consulate. Try to find one that is closer to you. If you live in the SF Bay Area, there is a China Consulate in San Francisco located at 1450 Laguna Street, San Francisco, CA 94115. Be certain that you check out their daily schedule and the date for holidays as the office will be closed on the holidays. China has different holidays than the U.S. No appointment is required.

Although from their official website, which updated in 2009 so this may not be up-to-date, the Visa Office in San Francisco is open 9:00a.m.--2:30p.m.(no lunch break), Monday--Friday, and closed on weekends and holidays. But according to my most recent experience, the consulate closes for lunch break the last two times I visited them. So I would suggest for you to give them a call to confirm their schedule.

Location of China Consulate in SF

China Consulate in San Francisco, CA:
1450 Laguna St, San Francisco, CA 94109, USA

get directions

The China Consulate is at the corner of Geary Blvd and Laguna St. The main entrance is on Geary Blvd.


There is no designated parking for people who want to visit the China Consulate in San Francisco. And it is hard to find a nearby parking. So you might want to park a bit farther away in order to avoid looping around the same block.

What to expect when you arrive at the China Consulate in SF

The line to the entrance is long, especially in the morning because many people arrive early in the morning for fear they might not be able to get their turn by the end of the day since the office close at 2:30 PM. But based upon my experience, the afternoon is a lot less crowded than morning time. Things you should be aware of are no food is allowed and the lines to the restrooms are long, especially the lady’s room. Once you’re inside, make sure you get a ticket from the machine by the entrance if you go there in the morning. There were no tickets given out in the afternoon last year when I visited them. So I had to stay in a long line to get inside the building and then stay in another long line to pick up my visa. Good thing the pick up line moved quite fast. There is a number on the ticket based on the purpose for your visit to the consulate. There will be different areas for the needs of each person. Make sure you stay close to the windows that says “visa”. The numbers shown on the video screen that are attached on the wall do not always reflect the numbers they might call out from the windows.

When can you pick up your visa?

For regular service, you can go pick up your visa on the fourth business day. If you need an express service, you can obtain your visa within the same day, next business or the third business day at an extra cost of $20 to $30 and upon approval. Please note that cash, personal/company check is not accepted. You can pay with Visa, Mastercard or money order payable to "Chinese Consulate General".

When you return to pick up your visa, go to the windows that are for pick up and payments. There will be a line there as well.

-------- Get your Chinese visa through a travel agency --------

You don't have to be presence when you apply for your tourist visa to China. You can have someone you trust to handle it for you if you don’t want to go through the headache of waiting in line. If you worry about missing the necessary documents, you can have a travel agency do it for you, but it will cost you extra money for the service. Going through a travel agency sometimes might take longer because the agency might want to wait for more requests for Chinese visa from other people before taking a trip to the China Consulate.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • kittyjj profile imageAUTHOR

      Ann Leung 

      6 years ago from San Jose, California

      @ alliemacb, China has changed a lot since I left in 1989. I visited Zhuhai last April and it's beautiful. :)

    • kittyjj profile imageAUTHOR

      Ann Leung 

      6 years ago from San Jose, California

      Thank you ElizaDoole for commenting and vote up.

    • kittyjj profile imageAUTHOR

      Ann Leung 

      6 years ago from San Jose, California

      Thank you Mmargie1966 for reading and your compliment.

    • alliemacb profile image


      6 years ago from Scotland

      A really useful hub. China is definitely on my list of places to visit. Voted up.

    • ElizaDoole profile image

      Lisa McKnight 

      6 years ago from London

      Practical and very useful. Well done and voted up.

    • Mmargie1966 profile image


      6 years ago from Gainesville, GA

      Wow...that's a bunch of information. You placed everything out nicely. Great Job!

    • kittyjj profile imageAUTHOR

      Ann Leung 

      6 years ago from San Jose, California

      Thank you poowool5 for voting and I am happy to know that it is useful. :)

    • poowool5 profile image


      6 years ago from here in my house

      Very thorough hub, kittyjj. Not sure it's on my upcoming to-do list (unfortunately) but I will know where to turn for all the info I need when that time rolls around. Like all your maps and tables, can't think of anything you have missed here. Voted up and useful!


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)