- Travel and Places»
- Travel Tips & Preparation
Retire and Enjoy Clearwater, Florida
Best Cities in the 21st Century
Clearwater is a city of 106,000+ people on the beaches of the Gulf Coast of Florida, across from Old Tampa Bay and northwest of St. Petersburg, which is in the same metropolitan area. This is a comfortable place to retire or to vacation, but it also enjoys jobs listings over 31,000 positions during Spring 2015.
See the map below for the exact location of Clearwater northwest of I-275 on US 19. This area is full of new additions and improvements in the quality of life for residents.
Clearwater - St. Petersburg
Travel Distances From Clearwater to Other Communities
City or Town
Distance from Clearwater
2.4 miles from city center
Approximately 5 miles
Approximately 10 miles
Approximately 14 miles
16 to 19 miles, depending on route
An Easier Life in Clearwater
Great Improvements to Ease Life
Clearwater leadership and residents seem always on the lookout for ways to improve life in the community. for instance, near the end of 2011, residents petitioned the Federal Government to declare Clearwater in a single zip code (29822) rather than the current two zip codes in order to focus, streamline, and speed mail service and EMT/Fire/Police runs.
Another improvement is the addition of Z-Vans in the community that travel about to teach deaf students how to use video phones. This will likely improve the communication services offered already to the deaf and hard of hearing among Clearwater retirees. Clearwater aims to be an accessible community.
The Clearwater Aging Well Center makes a tremendous effort in offering wellness tips and programs for Seniors in the area. This division of city government appreciates Seniors and is constantly offering new things to help maintain independence and enjoy life. Anything from meals to health tips to how to use the local Police Department to good advantage is on the agenda.
Clearwater is a good place for the retirement years, but many younger people make a good living in the area. In fact, over 31,000 job openings on average daily were listed for a radius of 25 miles of city center ever since December 2011 (see employment information at the end of this article). Many of these positions are in the Healthcare and Transportation/Freight Industries.
Visit Other Cities in the Area of Clearwater
Neighboring Cities are Interesting
- Top 10 Best Places to Retire in Florida - Experts' Opinions
55-Alive! Magazine suggests a number of places they feel are better than average for retirement living. These include a number of US States and major metro areas.
- Best Places to Retire in Florida - A St. Petersburg Review
St. Petersburg is great for both work and retirement, with hundred of attractions within just 25 to 30 miles. A wide range of rents is available and the downtown area is in ongoing development. Transportation is readily available in several forms, making travel and access to good and services easy.
New Multi-Screen Cinema
Clearwater became the home of a new 12-screen cinema in December 2011 - the high-tech Cobb Countryside 12 Theater at the Westfield Countryside Mall. It has become quite popular.
Cobb Countryside 12 Theater
Things to Do and See In Clearwater
Movies are back "in" in Clearwater. The city had not hosted a first-run film between 2002 and December 2011, but that changed with the addition of a new theater complex.
In the middle of December 2011 and just in time for the crop of Christmas films to be released, Clearwater became the home of a new 12-screen cinema. This is the brand new high-tech Cobb Countryside 12 Theater at the Westfield Countryside Mall.
Travel and Tourism make this area a prime site for new entertainment venues that current residents of all ages can enjoy as well. High-Tech? -- The first three rows of seats in the Cobb theater's 4D offering includes vibrating chairs. In addition to that, the theater offers many more features in its huge addition to the Westfield Country side mall that came with a ticket price of $12 Million. There is plenty to do in Clearwater!
- Clearwater Beach
- Florida Holocaust Museum
A good friend visited this place and her life was never the same again. We must not forget this history.
- Welcome Aboard Clearwater Jolley Trolley!
Everyone has a good time on this trolley car route around the most accessed spots in the Clearwater area. Great for Seniors, families and shoppers!
- Welcome to ClearwaterIceArena.com
Clearwater Ice Arena serves party, skating, hockey and figure skating needs! Improved in December 2011 to eliminate all concerns of carbon monoxide possibilities.
Life With Sea Animals
Clearwater Marine Aquarium Hospital
- Clearwater Marine Aquarium - Passion to respect and protect our marine life and environment
Many people who have lost limbs have gained hope from visiting a dolphin who has a prosthetic tale.
- Life is better around water and water creatures, shown in reduced blood pressure readings among many health studies! The aquarium is a wonderfully fun, healthy place to visit. Besides dolphins, this facility recuses sea turtles as well. The rescue hospital produces an online web series called Rescue-Clearwater, with new episodes twice a month.
Clearwater Marine Hospital
The Clearwater Marine Aquarium Hospital is the site in the new film Dolphin Tale, about Winter the dolphin.Her take was damaged to the point that she might die, but she was found and transported to the hospital, where she was finally fitted with a brand new tail.
Beaches and Resorts
Senior Living Options
Senior Housing Options in and Near Clearwater
- Aging Wisely - Elder Care Assessments, including housing: http://www.agingwisely.com/
- Belleair Towers
- Harbourtown Apts. in Palm Harbor. Starting at $650.00. (727) 362-2085
- Imperial Palms Apts. in Largo. Starting at $720.00. (727) 674-2323.
- Magnolia Manor
- Park Place - (727) 734-7734; no web site.
Additional affordable housing communities in Clearwater are in planning and under construction.
Home Purchase Market
Calculated from raw data found at the Zillow.com real estate web site, the following housing was available now
- Number of Total Homes for sale: 1888
- Price Range: $61,000 to $14,900,000
- Median Price: $549,000
- Number of 2-Bedroom Apartments/Condos for sale: 481
- Price Range: to $39,900 - $3,400,000; 18 Foreclosures up for auction.
- Median Price: $249,900
Spectator and Recreational Sports
Sports Options in Clearwater
- Clearwater Threshers - Florida State League Baseball -- Bright House Networks Field
- Philadelphia Phillies - Major League Baseball -- Bright House Networks Field for Spring Training.
- Tampa Bay Devil Rays - Major League Baseball -- St. Petersburg Tropicana Field.
- Tampa Bay Lightning - National Hockey League -- St. Pete Times Forum.
- Tampa Bay Storm - Arena Football League -- St. Pete Times Forum.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers - NFL.
OTHER - Recreational and Social Sports
- Lazin' Ravens Track Club
- Countryside Lightning Soccer and Chargers Soccer Club
- Disc Golf - Cliff Stephens Park and Coachman Park.
- Lega Mexicana - Mexican League Soccer
- Pinellas Heat - Volleyball
Plenty of Work for Those Who Want It
Top 15 Companies Listing the Largest Numbers of Jobs
- BayCare Health System Clearwater
- Baycare Health System, Tampa/St. Petersburg
- Cross Country TravCorps and Maxim Travel Nurses
- Tampa General Hospital
- Supplemental Health
- IT Jobs - Engineers, etc.
- CVS/Pharmacy and several other retail outlets
- Hy-Vee Foodstores
- Winn Dixie
- Raymond James Financial
- Schneider National; Barr-Nunn; Melton Truck Lines; Knight Transport - Trucking and Freight
- New PTRS - Physical Therapy
- Deloitte Development
Within 10 Miles of the City:
- Lockheed Martin
- HCA - Health
- Largo Health System
- Sterling-Hoffman - IT jobs, all levels
© 2011 Patty Inglish