I'm a Cruise Fanatic: 15 reasons I Love Cruising
Cruising is the Ideal Vacation
To me, going on a cruise is the ultimate vacation. I had never gone on a cruise till 2006, and once I took my first one, I was hooked. I have been on 13 cruises in 11 years and loved every cruise.
Here are the top 15 reasons why I love cruising:
1) A cruise is the most romantic vacation I have ever been on. There are so many romantic activities for you and your loved one to do, and they are all withing walking distance of your room.From dancing to movies under the stars to dinner by candlelight, there's romance in the air on a cruise. (See my hub about how romantic can be here by clicking on the highlighted words )
2) Taking a cruise takes the money hassle out of a vacation. You pay for everything ( except alcohol and tips) upfront, and once you get on the ship, you don't have to worry about money anymore. The ship gives you a room key, which also acts as a credit card, so if you do want to buy extras, you can charge it and pay at the end. But the extras are optional.
3) You don't have to rent a car or drive. If you want to go on an excursion, you book your adventure, and the tour guide does the driving for you. Excursions can range from going scuba diving in turquoise Caribbean waters, to driving a dog sled in Alaska, to taking a helicopter ride over a volcano in Hawaii. All of those are rather expensive though, so if you are counting your pennies, you can just get off the ship and explore on your own, or take a less expensive tour that will take you on a bus around an island with a few stops along the way, etc.
4) The food is amazing! Whether you eat in a 24 hour buffet area, or a fancy restaurant, you can eat all you want, and not have to pay anything extra. It's all included in the price. If you DO choose to pay extra, all the large cruise ships have restaurants where you can pay a $10 - $25 extra charge to eat there, and have specialty foods, but the choice is yours.
5) The staff on cruise ships make me feel like royalty. On every cruise I have been on, the staff can't seem to do enough for me. And they are all so friendly. Happy people who go out of their way to make my day better are a pleasure to travel with.
6) There are hot tubs and pools to use every day. I always wanted a pool when I was growing up, but my family could never afford one. On a cruise, I can have my choice of various pools, and wonderfully warm relaxing hot tubs every day.
7) I have a work out center available to me just a few minutes walk away. And because I am eating so much delicious food every day, believe me, I use the work out center daily too.
8) There are always plenty of activities to do on a cruise ship that are within walking distance of my room. I have taken computer classes and scrap booking classes on a cruise. I have found wonderful books to read in the library, listened to beautiful music through headphones while reading, seen almost Broadway shows, heard fantastic live music of various types played nightly, heard hilarious comedians, heard speakers from various parts of the world on board my ship, gone dancing, and watched movies outside at night under the stars with popcorn and cozy blankets while cuddling with the love of my life.
9) There are numerous opportunities for my husband and I to have professional portraits taken, and bring home as mementos of a wonderful experience. We would not make the effort to have these types of pictures done if we weren't on a cruise ship with photographers readily available.
10) On many days, especially days at sea, there is no cell phone service, and that means we can relax. Also, we can check email but due to the expense, it's not something we choose to do daily, so we can truly leave our troubles behind more easily.
11) A cruise can be much cheaper than taking a vacation and paying for a hotel room and food separately each day. If we book early enough, or watch the various cruise discount websites, we can save money on cruises that makes them actually less expensive than if we went somewhere by car, plane , or train and had to pay for a hotel room, rent a car, and eat out in restaurants every day.
12) Cruise ships are beautiful and the surroundings make me feel like I am living in a floating palace. There are many cruise lines to choose from, and whether we take turns on each different cruise line to see the variety they have to offer, or find one we like to stick with that line repeatedly to gain points and therefore perks, there are cruise lines and ships enough that everyone can find one they like. For repeat travelers on the same cruise line, there are perks such as, but not limited to free laundry service, free internet for a certain amount of hours, and a welcome back cruisers captain's reception.
13) Wildlife is abundant in the ocean and I love to be able to go on deck and see whales, flying fish, dolphins, bald eagles, seals and sea lions swimming alongside the ship. I can't see anything as unusual as that in a vacation in a car, or from an airplane.
14) Many ships have spas that have spa passes available. My husband and I can work out, then use the spa as a reward. There are hot tubs, saunas, stream rooms, warm tiled lounges, spa pools, and relaxation rooms with hot tea and cold water available to help us relax. Using the spa for the duration of our cruise adds even more relaxation to our vacation. I have never been as relaxed as I am when I use the spa on a cruise ship.
15) Cruises offer a chance for adventure to see the world, with stops in numerous countries or islands in one trip. We can cruise the Caribbean, Europe, Canada, Hawaii and the Polynesian Islands, Mexico, South America, Australia, the Orient, Alaska, etc. and bring our hotel rooms, delicious food, wonderful staff, and activities with us daily.
In my opinion, cruising is the ideal vacation...adventurous, simplified, and relaxing!
Copyright by Karen Hellier, 2012
Caribbean Cruise Planner
Favorite Cruise Line
What is your favorite cruise line to travel on?
More cruise articles...My Review of the Sapphire Princess
- Cruise Ship Review: The Sapphire Princess
The Sapphire Princess is a gorgeous cruise ship with friendly staff, delicious food, and a wonderful décor.
- Norwegian Epic Cruise Ship: A Photo Essay
Many photos of the unique cruise ship, the Norwegian Epic. This ship cruises the Eastern Caribbean and Europe.
- What I Did on My Two Week Cruise Vacation Through the Panama Canal
People think they might be bored on a cruise, but I spent 2 weeks on a cruise ship with plenty to do!
Would you like to write for Hub Pages? Click the link below to get started for free!
HubPages is your online space to share your advice, reviews, useful tips, opinions and insights with hundreds of other authors. HubPages is completely free, and you can even earn online ad revenue!
Cruise stop at Bora Bora
- Bora Bora, an Island of Beauty and Simplicity
Bora Bora is one of the most beautiful and laid back islands of French Polynesia. A must see for tourists looking for the simple and beautiful island experience