ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Travel Insurance for Adventure Activities

Updated on September 11, 2012

Crazy about adventures?

Didn't your mama tell you not to do this? But you still did it and were proud of yourself?

Did you ever try to make your dreams come true?

Did you leave no stones unturned on your way to success on a trip?

Then you should definitely know what a "real adventurer" is.

This hub will help you to stay safe in your adventures. There are 2 things that help adventurers stay safe on a trip:

  • common sense and
  • travel insurance.

Let's speak about the second one.

Quick question

Do you like extreme sports and activities?

See results

What is Travel Insurance?

The first and the most important feature of travel insurance is the insurance of health. If you make up your mind to visit a foreign country, your health insurance won't be valid there. So you'll have to pay bills yourself. Travel insurance policy covers all medical expenses abroad, including repatriation to your home country. This is a common understanding of the travel insurance.

In general travel insurance covers not only your health. It covers the whole trip including flight delay, event cancellation, legal expenses, passport loss, hijacks and so on. Travel insurance company will pay for any inconvenience on your trip, so your pocket won't suffer from sudden expenses that will result in sweet emotions from your adventures.

Do I Need Specific Travel Insurance for Adventure Activities?

Well, yes... and no. You should check cover of your policy before you leave. There are 3 different categories of covers from perspective of adventure travel insurance.

Some insurance companies/agents/consultants don't cover any sports at all. So if you hurt your leg playing chess you won't get any payouts. Try to avoid agents like that.

Some companies cover a number of activities for free and require additional premium for specific sports (like scuba diving, paragliding, etc). These companies usually cover basic extreme level. They require licensed operators and professional guides, so you won't be able just to take your gear and go into sports.

Third type of companies cover any possible and impossible activities and sports: scuba diving 50+m, any grades of black water rafting, white water rafting, canyoning, sky diving, shooting, hunting, etc. These agents are not cheap, since they offer very specific services, but they will insure you even if you're going to travel to hell.

Ask everything about levels of cover of your travel insurance agent before leaving on a trip.

Keep in mind that accidents in process of extreme activities and sports are usually officially not covered by your travel insurance company if the sport is not listed in your policy.

Sports Covered

Sports that are usually covered for free by the 2nd and 3rd travel insurance agents categories:

  • Archery
  • Badminton
  • Banana Boating
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Beach Games
  • Black Water Rafting
  • Blade Skating
  • Bowls
  • Bungee Jumping
  • Canoeing
  • Clay Pigeon Shooting
  • Cricket
  • Cycling (On Road)
  • Deep Sea Fishing
  • Dinghy Sailing
  • Fell Running/Walking
  • Fencing
  • Fishing
  • Football (Amateur)
  • Go Karting
  • Golf
  • Hiking Under 2,000m
  • Horse Riding
  • Jet Boating
  • Jet Skiing
  • Kayaking
  • Lacrosse
  • Lapland Activates (Husky/Reindeer Ride, Snowmobile, Sledging Short Day Trips)
  • Marathon Running
  • Netball
  • Non Manual Occupations
  • Manual Occupations
  • Orienteering
  • Parascending Over Water
  • Pony Trekking
  • Racket Ball
  • Rambling
  • River Canoeing
  • Roller Blading
  • Roller Skating
  • Rounders
  • Rowing
  • Safari Trekking
  • Sail Boarding
  • Sailing
  • Scuba
  • Skate Boarding
  • Snorkelling
  • Squash
  • Surfing
  • Tennis
  • Track Events
  • Trekking
  • Triathlon
  • Volley Ball
  • War Games/Paint Balling
  • Water Polo
  • Water Skiing
  • White Water Rafting (Grade 3)
  • Windsurfing
  • Yachting
  • etc

Ask, Ask, Ask

Before leaving on an adventure trip ask your consultant about:

  1. Grades/levels of extreme sports covered
  2. Personal liability
  3. Special gear (safety helm, body protection)
  4. Level of operator (licensed or not)

Don't forget that any trifle (like riding on a bicycle without safety helm) is an official reason to cancel your claim.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)