Klaipeda in Lithuania
Modern Day Logo Klaipeda
Short history of Klaipeda
It was always believed that the Curinian lagoon is the delta of the Nemunas river. Western Balts and Germans called the river Nemunas Memel; the city founded close to the lagoon was therefore called Memel. Lithuanians and Samogitians called it Klaipeda, or Coloypede in Latin.
In 1252 the German Teutonic Order built the castle Memelburg at the mouth of the river Dane, one year later Klaipeda receives the important city rights of Lubeck. In 1328, the city and surrounding areas are handed over to Prussia. The city suffers from a large fire in 1540.
Between 1807 and 1808 Klaipeda becomes the temporary capital of the Kingdom of Prussia. In 1854 the city suffers again because of fire.
The peace treaty of Versailles separates Klaipeda form Germany and a provisional French mandate is appointed. In 1923 Lithuania annexes Klaipeda which, since then, is part of Lithuania.
In1991 a University was established in Klaipeda, focusing on research in marine science and marine studies.
Klaipeda can be raeched by the nearby situated airport of Palanga. The ferry to Neringa and Nida can be found in Klaipeda as well.
Sculptures in Klaipeda
A statue of a 45 centimeter boy stands in the middle of Mazvydo street. He reclines against the coat of arms of Klaipeda en wears no clothes. The bronze statue of Klaipeda's city boy is created by S. Jurjus (sculptor) and V. Paulionis (architect) as a lasting memory of the 750th anniversary of the city.
Taravos Anike (Ann from Tharau)
The sculpture "Taravos Anike" or "Ann from Tharau" can be found on Theatre Square. The sculpture is dedicated to the poet Simon Dach, who was born in Klaipeda. He was in love with the already engaged girl Anne. For her he created "Ann from Tharau", still a well known song in Germany, Switzerland and Austria. Dach teached for time at Konigsberg University.
The sculpture disappeard during the Second World War andwas only reconstructed in 1990.
Old Town Little Mouse
In the old town of Klaipeda, not far from the famous jazz club "Kurpiai" , you will find a sculpture of a small mouse with rather big ears. The bronze band around the tiny mouse says: "Convert your ideas into words, words will become magic". It can't hurt sharing some thought with this mouse, but you have to whisper in one of it's ears. Funny sculpture and you really have to look for it ! (try the intersection of Kurpiu and Kepeju gatve) Responsible for the sculpture are the artists S. Plotnikovas and S. Jurkus.
Wild Man of Klaipeda
The architect Dainora Abelkiene and the sculptor Svajunas Jurkus created a sculpture of a tall (1,3 m !), wild man near the entrance of the Friedrich's Passage in Klaipeda. He has a crown of oak leaves on his head and leans against an anchor. He used to be part of the coat of arms of the no longer existing town of Friedrich, in the 17th century when Klaipeda was not yet Lithanian, but was known was Memel.
Klaipeda Drama Theatre
Symbols of Klaipeda
Drama Theatre of Klaipeda
The building housing Klaipeda's drama theatre was build in 1819 in an old Classicist style. It was destroyed by fire and rebuild in 1857. Build on top of the old structure, the new theatre is larger then the former one.
Tauralaukio Botanical Garden of Klaipeda
In the old Taralaukis Park, in the norhern part of the city, the Botanical Garden can be found. Established in 1993, the gardens take almost 10 hectares in the valley of the Dane river. Three different collections of plants are on display; fruit and spice plants, perennial and annual flowers, ad dendrites. There are more then 1,500 plants on display. Guided tours through are organized on a regular basis.
(From April 1st to November 1st)
Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 18:00
Saturday: 10:00 - 15:00
Telephone: 0037 46 350 463
Location: Kretingos gatve 92, Klaipeda
- Established in 1991 as an autonomous state higher education institution
- 6.500 students
- 500 academic teachers
- 7 faculties
- 3 scientific research institutes
- 68 undergraduate programs
- 51 postgraduate programs
- 10 doctoral programs
The 7 faculties are:
- Natural Science and Mathematics
- Health Sciences
- Marine Engineering
- Social Sciences
General Information Klaipeda
Klaipeda is the third largest city n Lithuania. The annual jazz festival and the annual sea festival are both worth visiting.
Turgaus gatve 7
Telephone +370 46 412 186
Open: Mon – Fri 08:00 19:00 Sat-Sun 10:00 – 16:00