New Jobs In Architecture And Healthcare For Louisiana
High Paying Jobs for Moderate Levels of Education
Architecture and Construction jobs are the most highly demanded jobs to be filled in Louisiana. They represent the business sector that is growing most quickly across the state.
Many building-related job postings require post-secondary education, apprenticeships, certificate training, licenses, and some other sorts of training and credentialing; but these educational objectives can be easier to meet than expected. The Workforce Investment Board at the county level offers jobs training and job matching for workers seeking employment.
A few construction jobs require mainly OJT (on the job training), saving the cost of higher education and saving time for both employer and employee.
The second largest industry sector in the state that requires high numbers of jobs to be filled is the Healthcare Industry.
The third largest industry sector for providing job openings to be filled is the Hospitality and Tourism Industry.
The Top 10 Jobs in Louisiana come largely from these and related businesses; many of these and two dozen other occupations do not require a 4-year college or university degree.
Top 10 High Demand Jobs 2014 - 2024
The following Top 10 Jobs pay $20.00 per hour or more and do not require a 4-year degree. The list is not all-inclusive and many other jobs also pay at least $20/hr. in the state.
- TRANSPORT/LOGISTICS/ BUILDING: Transportation, Storage & Distribution Managers: $28.38/hour. This is becoming the highest demand job cluster in the USA. At least a million jobs were open in Truck Driving by the end of May 2015.
- SALES: Sales Representatives, Wholesale/Manufacturing, Technical &Scientific Products: $28.09/hour
- SEA TRANSPORTATION: Captains, Mates, Pilots of Water Vessels: $27.16/hour
- SEA TRANSPORTATION: Ship Engineers: $26.77/hour
- INSURANCE: Claims Adjuster, Examiners, and Investigators, many in Healthcare Services: $26.68/hour
- CHEMISTRY: Chemical Plant and System Operator: $25.66/hour
- HEALTHCARE: Diagnostic Medical Sonographers: $24.59/hour
- HEALTHCARE: Registered Nurses (RNs): $24.50/hour
- HEALTHCARE: Dental Hygienists: $23.88/hour
- OIL& FUELS: Petroleum Pump System Operator, Refinery Operators, and Gaugers: $23.50/hour
Positions in Architecture require 4-year degrees or at least 2-year associated technical certificates overall. Construction Trades require a combination of education and on the job training; management positions may require a 4-year degrees.
For example, a Carpenter's Helper, in high demand in the New Orleans labor area can make $14+/hr on average, without post-secondary education. Apprenticeships in the construction trades may also be available.
Location of the Most Jobs
Cities offering the largest numbers of job listings include the following list, also found on the map below. The top 10 cities for employment and the types of jobs most offered are:
- Baton Rouge: Healthcare and Louisiana State University jobs
- New Orleans: Healthcare, restaurants, hotels, and Tulane University jobs
- Lafayette: Healthcare, restaurants, and retail stores
- Shreveport: Hotel-resorts, restaurants, and entertainment
- Metairie: Healthcare, restaurants, and retail stores
- Lake Charles: Hotel-resorts and healthcare
- Slidell: Retail and restaurants
- Monroe: Healthcare, restaurants, and retail stores
- Bossier City: Jobs available in several industry sectors.
- Alexandria: Retail, grocery, restaurants, temporary employment agencies
Louisiana On the Gulf Coast
Louisiana Resources For New Business
- Louisiana: Business Brokers at BusinessBroker.net - Businesses for Sale, Franchise Opportunities
Buy or sell a business online! Our database of businesses for sale, business brokers, and franchises connect you to a wealth of business opportunities and resources.
- Secretary of State
Doing business in Louisiana for success.
Native American Businesses are Successful
At least three resort-casinos in Louisiana are operated by Native American Nations but hire all nationalities. Additional job listings can be found at this link for JOB MONKEY.
Native American Nations in Louisiana own additional types of businesses as well and include the following nations and bands. The parish mentioned is equivalent to a county in other US States.
FEDERALLY RECOGNIZED NATIONS
- COUSHATTA (Port Allen Parish)
- CHITIMACHA (St. Mary Parish)
- TUNICA-BILOXI (Avoyelles Parish)
- JENA BAND OF CHOCTAW (LaSalle Parish)
STATE RECOGNIZED GROUPS
- ADAI CADDO (Natchitoches Parsh)
- CHOCTAW-APACHE OF EBARB (Sabine Parish)
- CLIFTON CHOCTAW (Rapides Parish)
- FOUR WINDS CHEROKEE CONFEDERATION (Vernon Parish)
Area History: Native Americans In LouisianaClick thumbnail to view full-size
Local Higher Education Is World Renown
Higher Education in Louisiana
Colleges, Universities, and Vocational Schools
- Baton Rouge Community College: Baton Rouge
- Bossier Parish Community College: Bossier City
- Centenary College of Louisiana: Shreveport
- Delgado Community College: New Orleans
- Dillard University: New Orleans
- Elaine P. Nunez Community College: Chalmette
- Evangel Christian University of America: Monroe
- Grambling State University
- Lacrosse University: Covington
- Louisiana Baptist University: Shreveport
- Louisiana College: Pineville
- Louisiana Delta Community College: West Monroe
- Louisiana State University: Baton Rouge, Alexandria, Eunice, Shreveport
- Louisiana Tech University: Ruston
- Louisiana Community and Technical College System: Baton Rouge
- Loyola University: New Orleans
- McNeese State University: Lake Charles
- New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary: New Orleans
- Nicholls State University: Thibodaux
- Northwestern State University: Natchitoches
- Our Lady of Holy Cross College: New Orleans
- Our Lady of the Lake College: Baton Rouge
- River Parishes Community College: Sorrento
- Saint Joseph Abbey Seminary College: Saint Benedict
- South Louisiana Community College: Lafayette, New Iberia, Franklin
- Southeastern Louisiana University: Hammond
- Southern University and A & M College: Baton Rouge
- Southern University and Law Center: Baton Rouge; New Orleans, Shreveport, Kenner
- Troy University: New Orleans
- University of Louisiana System: Schools in Baton Rouge; Monroe, Lafayette
- University of New Orleans
- Xavier University of Louisiana: New Orleans
Career Colleges Provide Practical Training for Good Jobs
Career College Cities In Louisiana
Specific Career Colleges In Lousiana
- Ayers Career College - Shreveport - Computers/IT, Medical Tech, HVAC.
- American Commercial College - Shreveport - Accounting, business, medical, computer/IT.
- Bryman College - New Orleans - Business, medical/dental/pharmacy.
- Herzing College - New Orleans / Kenner - Business, medical/health/legal; computers/IT.
- Blue Cliff College - Baton Rouge, Houma, Lafayette, Metairie, Shreveport - Medical assisting, massage therapy, criminal justice.
- Remington College - Baton Rouge - Business, management, computers/IT, culinary, medical/dental/pharmacy, massage therapy, criminal justice.
Sports Opportunities in Louisiana
Some of the major sporting opportunities in the State of Louisiana are listed below. Many of these organizations post current job openings on their websites.
Collge Level Sports Clubs
- Louisiana at Monroe Indians
- Louisiana State Tigers - Baton Rouge
- Northwestern State Demons - Natchitoches
- Tulane Green Wave - New Orleans
League Sports Teams
- Baton Rouge Kingfish (ECHL)
- Lake Charles Ice Pirates (WPHL) - Lake Charles
- Louisiana Ice Gators (ECHL) - Lafayette
- Monroe Moccasins (WPHL)
- New Orleans Zephyrs (PCBL)
- Shreveport Mudbugs (WPHL)
Professional Team Sports
- New Orleans Saints (NFL)
- New Orleans Hornets (NBA)
- Shreveport Sports
- Houma Bayou Bucks
- Lake Charles Land Sharks
- New Orleans Shell Shockers
- Louisiana Superdome - New Orleans
© 2008 Patty Inglish MS