New Louisiana Jobs in Architecture and Healthcare
High Paying Jobs for Moderate Education
- Architecture and construction jobs are the most highly demanded jobs to be filled in Louisiana. They represent the business sector that is growing most quickly across the state.
Many building-related job postings require post-secondary education, apprenticeships, certificate training, licenses, and some other sorts of training and credentialing; but these educational objectives can be easier to meet than expected. The Workforce Investment Board at the county level offers jobs training and job matching for workers seeking employment.
A few construction jobs require mainly OJT (on-the-job training), saving the cost of higher education and saving time for both employer and employee.
- The second largest industry sector in the state that requires high numbers of jobs to be filled is healthcare.
- The third largest industry sector for providing job openings to be filled is hospitality/tourism.
Many of these occupations do not require a 4-year college or university degree.
Top 10 High Demand Jobs Through 2024
The following Top 10 Jobs pay $20.00 per hour or more and do not require a 4-year degree.
- TRANSPORT/LOGISTICS/ BUILDING: Transportation, Storage & Distribution Managers: $28.00+/hour. This is becoming the highest demand job cluster in the USA. At least a million jobs were open in Truck Driving by the end of May 2015, with demand remaining steady to 2019.
- Sales: Sales Representatives, Wholesale/Manufacturing, Technical &Scientific Products: $28.00/hour
- Sea Transport: Captains, Mates, Pilots of Water Vessels: $27.00+/hour
- Sea Transport: Ship Engineers: $27.00+/hour
- Insurance: Claims Adjuster, Examiners, and Investigators, many in Healthcare Services: $27.00/hour
- Chemistry: Chemical Plant and System Operator: $25.00+hour
- Healthcare: Diagnostic Medical Sonographers: $24.00+/hour
- Healthcare: Registered Nurses (RNs): $25.00+hour
- Healthcare: Dental Hygienists: $24.00+/hour
- Gas and Oil, other fuels: Petroleum Pump System Operator, Refinery Operators, and others: $24.00+/hour
- Positions in architecture require 4-year degrees or at least 2-year associated technical certificates overall, but some can be had for on-the-job training. These jobs include landscape architect and helpers, interns, technicians, naval architects, marine designers, project managers, and other job titles. New Orleans and Baton Rouge are the cities with the most jobs of this nature.
Construction and Related
- Construction Trades require a combination of education and on the job training; management positions may require a 4-year degrees. For example, a carpenter's helper, in high demand in the New Orleans labor area can make $14.00+/hr on average, without post-secondary education. Apprenticeships in the construction trades are also available.
Location of the Most Jobs
Cities offering the largest numbers of job listings include the following list, also found on the map below. The top 10 cities for employment and the types of jobs most offered are:
- New Orleans: Healthcare, restaurants, hotels, and Tulane University jobs
- Baton Rouge: Healthcare and Louisiana State University jobs
- Lafayette: Healthcare, restaurants, and retail stores
- Shreveport: Hotel-resorts, restaurants, and entertainment
- Metairie: Healthcare, restaurants, and retail stores
- Lake Charles: Hotel-resorts and healthcare
- Slidell: Retail and restaurants
- Monroe: Healthcare, restaurants, and retail stores
- Bossier City: Jobs available in several industry sectors.
- Alexandria: Retail, grocery, restaurants, temporary employment agencies
Louisiana Resources for New Business
- Louisiana: Business Brokers at BusinessBroker.net - Businesses for Sale, Franchise Opportunities
Buy or sell a business online! Our database of businesses for sale, business brokers, and franchises connect you to a wealth of business opportunities and resources.
- Secretary of State
Doing business in Louisiana for success.
Successful Native American Businesses
At least three resort-casinos in Louisiana are operated by Native American Nations but hire all nationalities. Additional job listings can be found at this link for Job Monkey.
Native American Nations in Louisiana own additional types of businesses as well and include the following nations and bands. The parish mentioned is equivalent to a county in other US States.
Federally Recognized Groups
- COUSHATTA (Port Allen Parish)
- CHITIMACHA (St. Mary Parish)
- TUNICA-BILOXI (Avoyelles Parish)
State Recognized Groups
- ADAI CADDO (Natchitoches Parsh)
- CHOCTAW-APACHE OF EBARB (Sabine Parish)
- CLIFTON CHOCTAW (Rapides Parish)
- FOUR WINDS CHEROKEE CONFEDERATION (Vernon Parish)
Higher Education in Louisiana
Colleges, Universities, and Vocational Schools
- Baton Rouge Community College: Baton Rouge
- Bossier Parish Community College: Bossier City
- Centenary College of Louisiana: Shreveport
- Delgado Community College: New Orleans
- Dillard University: New Orleans
- Elaine P. Nunez Community College: Chalmette
- Evangel Christian University of America: Monroe
- Grambling State University
- Lacrosse University: Covington
- Louisiana Baptist University: Shreveport
- Louisiana College: Pineville
- Louisiana Delta Community College: West Monroe
- Louisiana State University: Baton Rouge, Alexandria, Eunice, Shreveport
- Louisiana Tech University: Ruston
- Louisiana Community and Technical College System: Baton Rouge
- Loyola University: New Orleans
- McNeese State University: Lake Charles
- New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary: New Orleans
- Nicholls State University: Thibodaux
- Northwestern State University: Natchitoches
- Our Lady of Holy Cross College: New Orleans
- Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady University: Baton Rouge
- River Parishes Community College: Sorrento
- Saint Joseph Abbey Seminary College: Saint Benedict
- South Louisiana Community College: Lafayette, New Iberia, Franklin
- Southeastern Louisiana University: Hammond
- Southern University and A & M College: Baton Rouge
- Southern University and Law Center: Baton Rouge; New Orleans, Shreveport, Kenner
- Troy University: New Orleans
- University of Louisiana System: Schools in Baton Rouge; Monroe, Lafayette
- University of New Orleans
- Xavier University of Louisiana: New Orleans
Specific Career Colleges In Lousiana
- Ayers Career College in Shreveport: Computers/IT, Medical Tech, HVAC.
- American Commercial College in Shreveport: Accounting, business, medical, computer/IT.
- Bryman College in New Orleans: Business, medical/dental/pharmacy.
- Herzing College in New Orleans / Kenner: Business, medical/health/legal; computers/IT.
- Blue Cliff College: Baton Rouge, Houma, Lafayette, Metairie, Shreveport. Medical assisting, massage therapy, criminal justice.
- Remington College in Baton Rouge: Business, management, computers/IT, culinary, medical/dental/pharmacy, massage therapy, criminal justice.
Sports Job Opportunities in Louisiana
Some of the major sporting opportunities in the State of Louisiana are listed below. Many of these organizations post current job openings on their websites.
College Level Sports Clubs
- Louisiana at Monroe Indians
- Louisiana State Tigers - Baton Rouge
- Northwestern State Demons - Natchitoches
- Tulane Green Wave - New Orleans
League Sports Teams
- Baton Rouge Kingfish (ECHL)
- Lake Charles Ice Pirates (WPHL) - Lake Charles
- Louisiana Ice Gators (ECHL) - Lafayette
- Monroe Moccasins (WPHL)
- New Orleans Zephyrs (PCBL)
- Shreveport Mudbugs (WPHL)
Professional Team Sports
- New Orleans Saints (NFL)
- New Orleans Hornets (NBA)
- Shreveport Sports
- Houma Bayou Bucks
- Lake Charles Land Sharks
- New Orleans Shell Shockers
- Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans
© 2008 Patty Inglish MS