Restaurant Options for Expats in Luanda Angola
As an expat living in Luanda, I quickly realized that restaurant dining is one of the only things to do around for entertainment on weekday evenings. After a couple of weeks of living in a hotel in Luanda (read: no kitchen), my boyfriend and I quickly tried out all the expat hotspots, as well as ventured to some local spots.
Luanda is known for excellent fresh seafood, and for having lots of Portuguese restaurants, as well as some Chinese cuisine. Other types of word cuisines are quickly opening up around the city. Below is a lists of my favorite restaurants in Luanda.
Cais de Quatro
Cais de Quatro is probably the most popular restaurant in Luanda amongst expats and rightfully so. The restaurant offers some of the most breathtaking views of the Bay of Luanda, a nice and relaxed atmosphere and pretty good food. The menu of Cais de Quatro is rather pricey but expectantly so, offering all kinds of cuisine ranging from Portuguese, to sushi, pasta, and burgers.
Address: Avenida Mortala Mohamed (at the Casa do Desportista), lha de Luanda AKA Ilha do Cado, Luanda, Angola
Tel. #: +244-222-309-430 / +244-222-309-286
Restaurante Chez Wou - Chinese Restaurant
Chez Wou restaurant is my favorite Chinese restaurant in Luanda. It has really beautiful décor and a very extensive menu even with vegetarian options. Chez Wou is the only restaurant I know of in Luanda to offer tofu and specialty dishes. The staff is also really nice.
Address: Av. Mortala Mohamed, Ilha do Cado (inside the Chez Wou Hotel), Luanda, Angola
Tel. #: +224-924-237-190 / +224-924-237-191
Al-Amir - Lebanese Restaurant
I have to say, Al-Amir, a Lebanese restaurant is my and my boyfriend's favorite restaurant in Luanda. That is a pretty bold statement and the reason for that is because:
- The food is affordable. That is a rare statement in the most expensive city in the world. We eat an excellent dinner, including starters, entrees and drinks for about 60000 Kwanzas ($60). That's over half of what we pay at other restaurants.
- Consistent service. Consistence in service is something I realize I've always taken for granted but notice now that I'm living in Luanda. I find that in Luanda, each time you order any dish, it comes out very different each time. Not at Al-Amir, each time I go to there and order the same dish, it comes out with the same ingredients and prepared the same way and I've come to love Al-Amir for this.
- Excellent service. The staff is really nice at Al-Amir and the food comes out really quickly. The waitresses are always smiling and friendly, making it a pleasant experience to eat at Al-Amir.
- A mix of locals and expats. My boyfriend and I are amongst the many expats who dine at Al Amir but notably, the restaurant is also popular amongst locals.
- Delicious desserts. In addition to delicious entrees, the restaurant also specializes in desserts and ice-cream and even sells cake candles and cake decorations.
Al Amir is located in the Macalusso neighborhood.
Address: Rua Fernao de Sousa, 21/23, Luanda, Angola
Tel. # : +244-923-336-418 / +244-928-347-666
Caribe - Seafood Restaurant
Caribe is another restaurant really popular amongst expats. The place has a really great view of the beach and sea, and has excellent fresh seafood. Everyone comes here for lobster.
Address: Rua Mortala Mohamed, Ilha do Cado, Luanda, Angola
Tel. #: +244-222-309-493
Pizzaria Bella Napolis
Pizzaria Bella Napolis is a great pizzeria in Luanda. It's popular amongst both locals and expats.
Address: Rua Tipografia Mama Tita, #29, Luanda, Angola
Tel. #: +244-923-339-091
Andy’s Broadway Bar and Restaurant - Indian Food
Andy's Broadway is a popular Indian restaurant amongst expats, although very expensive. In addition to Indian cuisine, the restaurant also has a Chinese food selection. The décor is very interesting and a bit over the top.
Address: Rua Albano Machado 88 (next to Andy’s boutique), Luanda, Angola
Tel. #: +244-222-394-962 / +244-222-391-589 / +244-926-384-652