A Day Trip To Oak Mountain State Park
Photos of Oak Mountain
Things To Do
There are a lot of things to do at Oak Mountain State Park. During the summer months, when people do most all of their traveling, the parks and beaches pick up the business. Alabama is very fortunate to have so many different locations across our state with beautiful parks. There are so many opportunities to get outside, and do something with the family. One of the activities that a family could do together is to spend a day at the park and enjoy the beautiful scenery. In each direction, and as far as you can see, there's water and trees. You will enjoy the many activities that the park offers.
There are several things to do at Oak Mountain.
1. Swimming- There is nothing like swimming in the lake. It is great to feel the sand between your toes and not be very far from home. This is the ideal situation. At Oak Mountain, there's a nice man-made beach area where you can bring your beach chairs and umbrellas and relax. You are welcome to bring a cooler if you would like as well. Even though the beach is man-made, this is a great place to come and stick your toes in the sand and the water is nice as well.
If you swim, you are bound to get hungry.
2. Grilling- It is not a bad idea to take the food and plan on staying for the day at the park and grill out at the facilities that are provided for you. If you choose, you can stay overnight in the camping area. The grill area is nice and there are plenty of tables to eat at or, you could eat on a blanket in the shade. A good plan is to catch fish at the lake and grill them on site for friends and the family.
3. Hiking- There are multiple trails in Oak Mountain and there different degrees of trails, from the easiest to the most experienced. The trails have a caged bird area with several bird species on display.
4. Biking- Bicycles are also welcome at the park. There's a bicycle lane throughout the park to let you know it's rider friendly. As with the hiking trails there are different degrees of trails to choose from. Tons of mountain bikes can be seen cruising the trails.
5. Disc Golf- I remember seeing a disc golf course at the park where I grew up but, these things are popping up every where. There is a disc golf course at Oak Mountain. Head's Up!!
6. Volleyball- There's an area to play volleyball that is like playing on the beach. There's a man-made beach area to let off some steam. People often bring birdies and rackets out and play badminton with the volley ball net.
7. Bird Trail- Areas have been set up also for the nature lover. Cages for several different birds are set up along the trail for our observing pleasure. The sounds you will hear on the bird trail is nature at it's best and it is simply delightful.
8. Fishing- There are designated areas to fish here and some of the fish that are in the lake are bass, catfish, croppie. Friendly reminder: Don't forget to have a valid fishing license and stickers on your boats!!
9. Paddle Boats- Can be rented to take a very slow tour of the lake. Just remember, however far you paddle and or float out in the paddle boat, you have that far to get back in to the shore. It is fun for sight seeing and your legs will get a workout.
10. Horseback Riding- There are trails for horseback riding. The trails are color coated for degree of difficulty. Trails are clearly marked making it fun to ride. There's a large barn where the horses are housed.
Which is your favorite?
Which is your favorite activity?
Location of Oak Mountain State Park
Where is Oak Mountain Park?
view quiz statistics
Fun at the mountain
Planning a time with families is hard during this day and time. A weekend get-a-way at the lake is a great idea to get away. Whether coming for the day or staying overnight, a good time is sure to be had by all. If you don't like so much nature...The City of Birmingham is not too far away and you can go shopping and come back to the camp site.
Teenagers will probably bring their Ipad's, Ipod's and any other electronic device known to man. To truly enjoy nature, I feel like you need to enjoy the trails, the water, the fishing and just clear your mind. If it were me going, I would take some sunscreen, a good book, bathing suit and lounge chair and curl up with a good book. In my opinion, their would probably be more family time if the devices were left at home and you could truly have some quality time.
Welcome To Alabama The Beautiful
- Things To Do in Orange Beach, Alabama
This vacation hub documents the different things to do in Orange Beach, AL. Snorkeling, laying out in the sun, fishing, glass bottom boat tours and parasailing are all apart of the fun.
- Visiting Spring Park in Tuscumbia, Alabama
This hub will give you a sneak peek to a very neat place to spend time with your family. In this hub you will find commentary, a poll, a quiz, pictures along with other facts and information.
- Cathedral Caverns Bat Cave: Woodville, Alabama
Cathedral Caverns is home to the widest commercial cave entrance in the world. Pictures, videos and a map are listed in this article along with other pertinent facts and information.
- Fun in The Alabama Sun: Spring Valley Beach
Spring Valley Beach is located in Blountsville, Alabama. It has multiple slides, a two acre pool and plenty of sandy beach. Pictures, videos, a poll and a map and commentary are listed in this hub.
- A Day at Vulcan Park in Birmingham, Alabama
This article focuses on Vulcan Park located in Birmingham, Alabama. It features a huge iron statue, an eating area and a fantastic view of the city from the top of the mountain. Pictures, you tube videos, polls, maps and commentary are all highlighte
- The Real Bat Cave: Desoto Caverns Park
This article is about DESOTO Caverns state park located in Childersburg, Alabama. this park has a huge cave with stalagmites and stalagtites. The park has small rides and games as well as food, hiking and a gift shop. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube
© 2012 Buster Johnson