- Travel and Places»
- Visiting Asia»
- Southeastern Asia»
One Day Walk At Cebu (DIY Cebu)
My husband and I agreed to tour our country right after we got married - we are now 1 month away from our 1st year wedding anniversary and we've been travelling every month to different locations DIY. For his November birthday, we went to Cebu and Bohol. One day at Cebu, three days at Bohol.
To those interested to go to Cebu DIY, here's our itinerary and budget. I will write another hub for Bohol :)
8:30AM - Arrival at Mactan Airport. Got Cebu Pacific promo fare at their 8P seat sale. Total price per pax is 978 Pesos roundtrip
8:30AM to 4:00PM - Tour around Cebu City.
1) Liberty Shrine - There, you will see the monument of Lapu-lapu and Magellan as well as the historical write-up of the Battle of Mactan.
To go there: a) Walk from Airport to 'Save More' multicab at the end of international airport (7P); b) Save More to Mactan/Liberty Shrine (9P).
2) Sutukil - is actually their term for cooking fresh seafood via “sugba, tinola, kinilaw” which translates to grill, stew and raw. Just at the back of the Liberty Shrine, one could choose from different Sutukil restaurants. We chose Fredz Sutukil and got ourselves a half kilo of squid cooked breaded/ calamares (140P for the squid + 60P for cooking). I also got myself a 'I love Cebu' shirt (150P). The price for shirts can go lower depending on your bargaining skills and the quality of the shirt.
3) Taoist Temple - is located inside a posh subdivision which is aptly named as Beverly Hills. It is takes quite an effot to go there since it is far from all the attractions, but it does have a beautiful view. Just be cautious with what you are taking pictures of since I was told not to take pictures facing the altar even if I am very far from it.
To go there: c) from Liberty Shrine ride a multicab to Mandaue, get down at Coloseum (14P)
d) Cab from Mandaue to Taoist Temple (145P meter, 100P waiting for 30mins). There is no fixed rate for waiting cabs in Cebu so you would have to bargain with the driver.
4) Zubuchon - is a restaurant which sells the Cebu Lechon that Anthony Bourdain of No Reservations named as the 'Best Pig' (240P half a kilo, 20P each for rice). My sister brought me a pack of it from her Cebu trip, but I just had to taste it fresh!
To go there: You can ask the same cab from the Taoist temple to pass by Escario Building before Capitol.
5) Heritage Houses - since we were doing a fast track tour, we asked the same cab to just pass by the Lopez Jaena streets so that we could take a picture of the Yap-San Diego Heritage House and the Casa Gorordo Museum
6) Magellan's Cross - finally, the cab dropped us off at the Magellan's cross (meter was 185P for the trip back) and the walking tour starts. At the cross, we were being annoyed by ladies selling candles. I was so annoyed that I just said I'd buy one candle from her at 10P just so that she'd leave me alone, but instead she started praying/dancing/shouting over a bundle of candles then afterwards asked me to pay 100P :(
7) Sto Nino Basilica - Got small green Sto Nino at 50P each which is said to be good for business.
8) Cathedral - Just a quick picture as well at the Cathedral.
9) Bbq AA - We were already tired from walking and wanted to eat our take-out from Zubuchon but they didn't give us any fork, then we saw Bbq AA which was across the Fort San Pedro Park. We got ourselves Chopsuey (mixed vegetables at 120P) to go with our lechon and a pitcher of Fruit Juice (120P)
10) Fort San Pedro - Walked around the park. Fort San Pedro looks very much like Fort Santiago in Intramuros, Manila. They had a museum with an entance fee of 30P but we were already running out of time and had to run to our ferry for Tagbilaran, Bohol
4:30PM - Ferry to Bohol
We had to take a less than 10min multicab ride via 02B/Pier Sign to go to our ferry for Bohol (7.50P). Went down at Pier Quatro hotel which was at the middle of the street!
The Supercat ride was at 545P and is double the price of other ferries going to Bohol, but it was very comfortable. It had 'Green Lantern' movie on, with AC, restroom, snacks for sale, and cruise like chairs.
Overall our Cebu Trip was just fine. The one I enjoyed most was their food, but other than that I guess I'm not more into visiting cities. Perhaps next time we'll just stay at Mactan and explore the 6 islands they have via boat.
Price Per Pax
Fredz Sutukil + Shirt
Taoist Temple - Multicab
Total Cab (temple to Cross)
Magellan's Cross Candles
Sto Nino Basilica - green Sto Nino
Bbq AA House
Fort San Pedro
Multicab to Pier 4
Supercat to Tagbilaran, Bohol