Tips and Advice for Travellers Going Abroad
- Pick a location.
- Choose your dates.
- Look around for offers.
- Find out if you need to rent a car.
- Research the public transport system.
- Find out how you pay for things there. Do they accept credit cards or local currency?
- See what types of accommodation you can book there. Choose your accommodation carefully.
- Go online and research the area, find books in your library on the area or go on a forum and ask users if they have ever been there.
- Don't forget to take out travel insurance.
You might think now is not the time to start planning your vacation but the sooner you start researching, the sooner you can start saving.
Start your research on the Internet and check out the airlines to see if there any sales coming up.
Check out the different accommodation websites to see what's on offer and decide what type of accommodation you want to choose.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Planning Your own Holiday
- You can plan your holiday around your own budget.
- You can stay in a location that is far away from busy tourist areas.
- It can be cheaper to book directly compared to using a travel agent.
- Risky if the location is not tourist friendly.
- Could get ripped off by scam websites when making booking especially with accommodation.
- Chance of getting stranded if it's not a busy area and taxis and buses don't operate daily.
- Not insured if everything fall apart.
10 Tips for Travellers
- Be smart and research any company you are booking transfers or accommodation with. If they are not legitimate you will loose your money and be stranded.
- Ensure that you are booking with reputable companies. If they have multiple negative comments on them, be cautious if you choose them, it could be risky.
- Do your research and be a savvy traveller. Don't put yourself in a dangerous position where you are at risk.
- Know the laws of the country.
- Know where your embassy is.
- Always let those back home know where you are at all time. The Facebook location check in can be useful here.
- Don't go to any areas tourists are told to avoid by the locals.
- Don't go off with individual strangers.
- Make sure that if you book with a third party website that they are bonded with the IATA (International Air Transport Association) and the Commission for Aviation Regulation.
- Check your embassy website to see if that location is a no go area for travellers at this time.
Is Planning a Holiday Difficult
If you do it in stages and divide the tasks out when planning the holiday especially if it's a group holiday then you can reduce the stress when planning it, especially if you are going to a number of destinations.
The more time you have to plan it the more time you can take to ensure places are trustworthy.
If you've got 6 month to plan a vacation you should be fine. If you've got 6 days, then it might be a little bit stressful and you better visit www.last-minute.com asap.
Start early and check out the areas you really like first. Stick to websites you know for the flight.
If booking accommodation from a website or with individuals, be cautious. Make sure you pay only with bank transfer, don't do a Western Union transfer. They might be a scammer taking advantage of a local legitimate business who is unaware someone is pretending to be from their business.
Check out blogs online and watch travel vlogs on YouTube from people who travel to different locations. This helps you get an idea on the location and what is there for you to see or do.
Best Times to go on Holiday
It's wise to know that during fixed holiday periods like Christmas, Easter and summer holidays more families will go abroad due to school breaks.
This means the price of flights go up. That's why it's always a good idea to go a few weeks prior to the end of school term.
Planning a holiday
Do you like to do your own planning and researching when choosing a holiday?
What you Should Know About the Location Before Travelling There
- Find out what type of weather they have each season.
- Check out if the country has any customs you have to obey.
- See what the local currency they use is.
- Check to see how good the public transport system is. Do they have a bus and rail service.
- Find out if the restaurants can deal with customers with any food allergies.
- See how far the location of any attractions you want to visit are from the town or city.
United Kingdom Embassy
Before you Travel, Check Your Embassy Website
If you're visiting any country today it's always a good idea to check out that countries embassy website to see if they have any vital information that you should know before travelling there.
The embassy in your own country will also post updates on situations that are happening in countries abroad, so always visit them before you decide to visit any country. The information they contain is very useful.
Also watch the news and read newspaper as usually they are the first to report on issues.
Booking With An Airline
- Shop around and check each airlines to see who has the best prices.
- Find out how far the airport is from where you are staying. Some countries have more than one airport and it's always good to know what part of the country you will be arriving in. Some airlines are far away from the city and you don't want to arrive at your destination to find out your hotel is 100 miles away from the airport.
- Find out what type of transfers are available for holiday makers. Do you need to get a taxi, a bus or hire a car.
Booking with a Tour Group
If you would like to take the stress out of planning and booking your own holiday altogether, then you might be more interested in booking your holiday with a tour group company.
Booking a holiday with a tour group allows you to visit the destination you want to see but without the stress of planning it. The tour companies who run these services have years of experience in the business with knowledgeable guides who know the destination they are travelling to extremely well.
If you are travelling solo and want to experience a destination, then this can be a safer method of travelling especially if it's your first time choosing this option.
Before you book with any tour group, do a few comparisons to see who offers the best prices. Check out reviews from fellow travellers to see what they say about the guides and their experience.
Which do you prefer?
Advantages and Disadvantages of a Hotel
- Very straightforward.
- Can book directly with them on their website.
- Breakfast can be included in the price.
- Know the quality of service prior to arriving.
- Room is tidied when gone.
- Need to leave your room by certain time for housekeeping.
- Strangers coming into your room.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Houses or Apartments
- Can come and go as you please.
- No one comes into the place while you are staying there.
- Can lock up when you are going out.
- Can buy your own food.
- Free parking.
- Might need to do your own laundry.
- Could be more expensive depending on the area you choose.
- Might need to pay deposit in advance.
- If you damage anything you could be liable to pay compensation.
- Place might not end up looking like what you expected.
So if you are thinking of going away for a few days, always do your research online and pick up a few brochures from your travel agent to see what the destination has to offer.
The first trip you plan could be a weekend break. Then the more confident you get, the better you will be at planning longer breaks.
A good website to get advice from is www.tripadvisor.com. People who have stayed in a variety of accommodation in different countries put up reviews on this site.
It is always good to read all reviews on the different places and types of accommodation and remember if it's too good to be true, then it probably is.
© 2011 Sp Greaney