- Travel and Places»
- Visiting North America»
- United States
Rainy day fun in Fort Myers, Florida
Bring on the rain!
Fort Myers rarely goes a whole day without seeing the sun, but if you're looking for something to keep the kids entertained on a nasty day, here are some fun indoor attractions you'll want to check out:
1) The Imaginarium. This hands-on museum has a nice variety of activities and amusements from a saltwater touch tank, interactive science and math exhibits and a hurricane simulator. They also have live animal shows and 3-D movies daily. Should keep you busy for at least 90 minutes.
2) Calusa Nature Center and Planetarium. Where else can you learn about alligators, insects and the planets, all at the same place? Check their website for planetarium showtimes and spend time before or after the show viewing the animals in the "living museum". If the rain clears, check out their captive wildlife outside or head out on the trails. Should keep the kids entertained for at least an hour.
3) Bailey Matthews Shell Museum. If your kids are curious about the shells and the mysterious blobs they find on the beach, they'll enjoy this museum. There's a kid's area and a touch tank. Many parents say that their children were occupied for more than an hour.
4) Broadway Palm Dinner Theatre. Check out their Children's Theatre for lunch and dinner shows with kid-friendly plays (and food). Plays don't run everyday, so be sure to visit their website for details. Allow at least 2.5 hours.
For older kids or young ones who have an interest in history...
5) Edison and Ford Winter Estates. During downpours, purchase a ticket for just the museum and lab and you can stay dry, easily spending an hour learning about Edison's inventions and Ford's cars. Small kid's area with a few-hands on activities and a cartoon about Edison, but most of the museum is geared for older kids and adults.
6) Southwest Florida Museum of History. From dinosaur bones to Pullman railway cars, this museum traces Florida's history through the ages. They also host traveling exhibits so check their website to find out what's currently on display. Allow at least one hour.