The Most Important Natural Park of the Red Sea is Ras Mohammad (the Head Land of Mohammad), Sinai
Ras Mohammad (the Head Land of Mohammad) Natural Park is the Most Important Natural Reserve of the Red Sea
Ras Mohammad (the head land of Mohammad) is a natural reserve (natural park) located in South Sinai, 12 km from Sharm Al Sheikh, 446 km from the capital of Egypt, Cairo. It covers an area of 480 km2, 135 km2 of land, 345 km2 of coral reefs and aquatic environments. Ras Mohammad is located at the confluence of the Gulf of Suez and the Gulf of Aquapa. Ras Mohammad is characterized by coral reefs, colorful fish, endangered sea turtles and rare aquatic habitats. It was declared by the Egyptian government as a natural park in 1983.
Ras Mohammad (the Head Land of Mohammad) Reserve (Natural Park), South Sinai, Egypt
Ras Mohammad (the Head Land of Mohammad) Protected Area
Ras Mohammad Natural Park South of Sinai, Egypt
Why Ras Mohammad (the Head Land of Mohammad) has Declared as a Natural Reserve?
Ras Mohammad (the head land of Mohammad) has declared as a natural reserve for its important marine ecosystems such as coral reefs, mangrove trees, medicine desert environments and coastal environments. This environmental variation is represented by presence of plains, wet lands and marine weeds in the same place.
- Ras Mohammad (the head land of Mohammad) is located at junction of the water currents coming from Gulf of Suez and Aquaba which making it a fertile area of food for marine life. More than 200 species of coral reefs and 1000 species of fish have been documented.
- the depth of the diving area in Ras Mohammad ranges between a few meters and up to 800 meters, interspersed with hill sides, slides and spectacular views. As a result of the changes that have swept the coast over thousands of years, 70,000 large areas of rare coral reefs hang to a depth of 100 meters below water.
- The location of Ras Mohammad at the confluence of the water of Gulf of Suez and Aquaba which led to mix the water of the two regions in varying degrees of salinity and consequently to the emergence of different forms of coral reefs, rock chains and rare fish. The head land of Mohammad reserve characterized by no estuaries of rivers or valleys in its shores, thus, beaches maintain their privacy and stability.
- The eastern edge of Ras Mohammad protected is a rock wall with the water of the Gulf of Aquapa, with coral reefs, as well as the mangrove canal, that separate the head land of Mohammad and the mangrove island with a length of 250 meters.
- Ras Mohammad is characterized by the presence of endangered sea turtles such as Green_sea_turtle. Rare fish such as sea stars, feather stars, sea cucumber, Nudibranch, shells, shrimps, Red_lionfish, moray eels, octopus and Spanish dancer fish, along with dolphins. There are 150 species of coral reefs blew the island.
- The reserve contains rare birds such as falcons, storks and herons. Thousands of white storks go to the south in September to return back to the north in April and May.
- The protected area also includes rare mammals such as red foxes, hybrids, mountain rabbits, deer, mountain goat, dorsal deer and Nubian_ibex.
- In the reserve, there are 85 species of plants, the most important of them are mangrove trees.
Ras Mohammad (the Head Land of Mohammad) Natural Park
Mangrove Trees in Ras Mohammad (the Head Land of Mohammad) Reserve
Mangrove is one of the rarest plants. This plant has a special nature where it absorbs salt in the water and takes it back to the outer surface of its leaves.
The Most Attractive Diving Places in Ras Mohammad (the Head Land of Mohammad)
- Shark Reef&Yolanda Ship: Where all kinds of fish available in the Red Sea, especially in the summer months, where Scorpion fish are rarely seen in other dive sites, along with the wreckage of the Yolanda ship where an abundance of coral reefs, tuna, barracuda and sharks.
- Anemone City: Which contains the corridors and paths of the solid and soft reefs. the fertile anemone region hides a large number of anemone with many other species of fish. This area is truly a "cosmopolitan fish town".
- Eel Garden: Its bottom is sandy and large, with many eels gardens along with coral garden.
- Ras Za'atar (Head Land of Za'atar): A beautiful wall covered with soft coral and lots of cracks.
- Ras Ghozlany (Head Land of Ghozlany): A small rocky chain with large coral reefs. It has three dive sites along with lots of coral reefs and marine fish life.
- Shark's Observatory: The observatory can be accessed and exited through a narrow cave with one diver, then access to a magnificent rocky wall filled with Gorgonian, lots of Anthia's, Scorpion fish and sometimes Turtle.
- Hidden Bay: Or the lake of wishful thinking as the nomads call it. The Bedouins used to swim there long ago, throwing stones, wishing some wishes, believing them to be achieved.
Ras Mohammad (the Head Land of Mohammad) Reserve
Wreckage of the SS Thistlegorm Ship in Ras Mohammad Reserve
Tourists can go to Sharm Al Sheikh tourist offices, where can choose between two courses to either go by the sea or by safari. The best way is safari to be able to identify and visit its landmarks.
The journey takes 20 minutes from Sharm Al Sheikh by land, reaching the Gate of Allah (Allah is the name of The God in the holy Quraan in Arabic language). It is the entrance gate to Ras Mohammad (the head land of Mohammad) reserve.
From Cairo one can go to Ras Mohammad by booked car or bus which booked through the tourist offices. This trip takes nearly half a day.
The Head Land of Mohammad Natural Park
The Visa For Ras Mohammad
According to official instructions, an official visa must be provided to Ras Mohammad, different from that granted to Sinai.
For the visitors
- Many recommended visiting the head land of Mohammad as a boat or yacht as this provides many diving opportunities during the visit.
- The head land of Mohammad receives divers throughout the year, while the temperature reaches the maximum in the summer (June to August). Those who like cold water in particular should go to the reserve in winter.
- The best time to watch the Barracuda fish from mid July until September.
- To access diving places from the beach, use Open-Heel Fans and boots. These objects can be rented from the dive center.
Ras Mohammad (the Head Land of Mohammad) Natural Park
Red Sea Diving, Ras Mohammad (the Head Land of Mohammad), South Sinai, Egypt
- http://www.eeaa.gov.eg/ Egypt State Information Service. Environmental Tourism