Renting a Car — Checklist
Ever rented a car and then found you forgot to do something during the renting process? This list will help avoiding that in the future.
- Decide if a rent-plan with unlimited mileage is better than limited mileage per day (and then paying for any over-the-limit surcharges).
- Note the insurance deductibles (השתתפות עצמית) and contemplate if you'd like to pay to avoid deductibles (ביטול השתתפות עצמית) .
- Verify which insurances are included.
- In which countries may the car be driven?
Before Accepting the Car
- Go around car and verify that all scratches/dents/accidents are recorded in the renting document. Same for car interior, engine compartment, and trunk.
- In the trunk:
- reserve wheel - properly inflated
- wheel's bolt spanner
- warning triangle
- warning-reflective coat
- Verify that fuel tank is full
- Car operation:
- code to start
- wheel locking
- turn signals
- trunk opening
- engine compartment opening
- window wipers
- other interior buttons
- internal light
- in which situations car won't start (code, steering wheel locking, etc.) ?
- Go over rent-contract and see you understand all you sign on.
Upon Acceptance of Car
- Make note of -
- Time of actual car delivery (since time of rent is time of return).
- Number of miles/KMs on odometer.
- Miles-per-day limits if applicable, and plan daily driving accordingly.
- Type of fuel.
- Wheels air pressure.
- Whom in agency to call in case of mechanical failure, theft, operation problems?
- Verify car has:
- insurance documents.
- Car registration.
Before Returning the Car
- If your rent-plan allows only certain distance per day, do the calculation if renting for more days is cheaper than paying the surcharge.
- Fill fuel tank. Retain last filling receipt.
- Try to arrive head of time.
In Case of Accident/Theft
- Contact rental agency.
- Contact police.
- Photograph the damages.
- Fill damage report.
- Get all third-party details.
- Retain copies of all incident related documentation.
- Retain receipt of deduction payment.
After Returning the Car
- Get document attesting to return of car (with all extra rented equipment), and payment.
- Retain last fuel filling receipt.
- Retain rent related documents in case of later disputes.