- Travel and Places»
- Visiting North America»
- United States
14 Little Known Facts About South Carolina
If you happen to look at a South Carolina map-whether it’s the “old school” paper map, Google maps, or your GPS unit- then by and large you are only getting a brief overview of what the state has to offer. In addition, the map show is not likely to include many of the interesting facts and facets that make up South Carolina. So, to add to your information of South Carolina, here are some of the interesting tidbits that have contributed to what the state is today.
1. In 1562 in Port Royal, SC a group of 50 French Huguenot returning to the port of Havre de Grace built the first American ship to cross the Atlantic Ocean.
2. 1788- South Carolina became the 8th state.
3. President Andrew Jackson was born in South Carolina.
4. Anderson City was nicknamed the “Electric City” because of its early innovation with electric power.
5. Camden, South Carolina is the oldest inland town and dates back to the early 1730s.
6. Charleston was the site of the first golf club in America. The Carolina Golf Club was established in 1786.
7. 1860-61- South Carolina secedes from the Union and the Civil War begins at Fort Sumter.
8. 1954- Strom Thurmond was elected to the U.S. Senate by a write-in vote. He is the only person ever elected to the Senate in this manner.
9. 1989- Hurricane Hugo devastated much or the South Carolina coast, costing a staggering $3.7 billion in damages.
10. In 1995-97 a Supreme Court ruling allowed the admittance of female cadets to The Citadel- a state supported military school.
11. 2000- The Confederate submarine H.L. Hunley was raised in the Charleston Harbor.
12. Although Georgia is referred to as the Peach State, South Carolina is actually the largest producer of peaches in the South.
13. Rice was first grown in America in the early 1700s by Dr. Henry Woodward of Beaufort, South Carolina.
14. The highest point in South Carolina is Sassafras Mountain with an elevation of 3,548 feet.
South Carolina is a fascinating place to visit. It is a place of stories and legends, history and facts, talented people and unique places. Come see what other facts and tidbits you discover when you visit.
- South Carolina Peach Tree Story
South Carolina peach tree opens with God fructifying the state with peaches, then details the helping hand of our Peach Tree president and ends center stage with a piece of warm South Carolina peach cobbler on your plate. Oh, and heed the warning a
- South Carolina Ghost Stories
The Gray Man is said to haunt Pawleys Island South Carolina People from Pawley's Island South Carolina will tell you of the Gray Man who is usually seen in a rain slicker and a hat and he warns people before a...
- Spartanburg South Carolina Thrift Shops And Consignm...
Many people miss all the great festivals and events that are only a few miles to a hundred miles or less from their home and if you've never been there you want to check out Spartanburg South Carolina and be...
- A Hub Portal to Labor Markets and Hot Jobs in South ...
vocations, relocations, retirement, or business, discover South Carolina's sunny beaches, crystal waterways, and a different character in each and every state region...