Visit Sarasota for Relaxation and Jobs
Tourism and Travel
The tourist trade is always healthy in Sarasota, because people love to visit this area and enjoy the many new activities added each year. The people who live here love it, too.
While visiting, some vacationers find well paying job opportunities they feel they cannot dismiss. Thus, the job market is increasing in tourist sites like the many museums, historical places, and similar installations in Sarasota. Other jobs are increasing as well.
Insurance, Financial Products, Information Technology, and Tourism
The Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice national census and job market area covers both Manatee County and Sarasota County on the fun-filled Florida Gulf Coast. In fact, Sarasota County once was part of Manatee and was apportioned off from the larger county as the population and businesses increased in number. it certainly is a growing region.
The population of this place over 700,000 people and the city along, with the larger statistical region surrounding it, is recognized by economists and workforce specialists among the Top 25 Best Medium-Sized Cities in America for Jobs and Business expansion. Sarasota was chosen a leading American city back in 2001 and has maintained that characteristic to this day.
Since AD 2003, this market area has grown in economy and population at least four times faster than the average rate for all USA cities! Of course, Florida is a good place for retirees from the Baby Boom cohort, but people are coming down here for work as well.
Information technology is a fast-growing industry here, along with financial products and insurance products. Tourism is a steady mainstay of the local economy.
Sunset on Lido Beach, Lido Key Sarasota FL
Top 10 Fastest Growing Employment Sectors
- Museums, Historical Sites, and Other Installations: Outstanding growth in this tourism sector increases the influx of people and their impact on the local economy with incoming dollars and tax revenues.
- Internet Publishing & Broadcasting
- Social Assistance
- Retail Furniture and Home Furnishings
- Administrative & Support Services: Banking, health and medical, IT, sustainability, other.
- Ambulatory Healthcare: The leader is Sarasota Memorial Hospital.
- Warehousing and Storage
- Wood Products Manufacturing
- Retailer Store: Managers and staff.
- Merchant Wholesalers
At least 10,000 jobs are listed by major companies consistently in the Greater Sarasota Area.
Tidy Island, Sarasota Bay
Other Fast Growing Occupations
- Personal & Laundry Services
- State Government Occupations
- Retail Electronics & Appliances
- Online Retailers
- Retail Building Materials and Garden Supplies
- Performing Arts, Spectator Sports, and Related Industries in tourism/hospitality.
- ISPs, Web Search Portals, and Data Processing Services
In Manatee County particularly, additional fast-growing jobs include
- Agriculture: Vegetables. citrus fruits, livestock, ornamental plants, commercial fishing, and forest products are leaders.
- Construction: Infrastructure (especially roads), new homes and schools, university expansions. Building permit fees reduced by over 50% in six years, stimulating new construction.
- Manufacturing: Sun Hydraulics, PGT Innovations, Tropicana Products, and Tervis are the largest of 600 local manufacturers.
Leading Companies Listing the Most Job Openings
- University of South Florida: 8350 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota FL. This school has an 82% approval rating among 188 employees surveyed through December AD 2018. Heavily focused on science and research, this school offers a new Culinary Innovation Laboratory and other business and tourism education.
- Care.com: Home health aides, companions, childcare professionals, etc.
- Lowes Stores: DIY, hardware, home decor, other.
- CVS Health and Retail: Management and crew positions.
- Marriott Hotels: All positions.
- The Resort at Longboat Key Club: Includes the Ringling college campus.
- Ringling College of Arts and Design: https://www.ringling.edu/ 2700 N Tamiami Trail, Sarasota FL 34234 The school is accredited and includes the Basch Visual Arts Center and the Longboat Key Center for the Arts. College Motto: "Shattering the myth of the starving artist.™"
- Healthcare Services Group: Housekeeping, Laundry, Dining and Nutritional services to patients in a variety of facilities.
- BeallsFlorida.com retail stores in a company over 100 years old include 500 Bealls Department Stores, Bealls Outlets, Burke's Outlets, Bunulu, Home Centric, and online sales: All positions. Average starting pay is near $10.00/hour. About 70% of employees polled felt satisfied with the company, which contributes to a number of charitable organizations that target housing, children, cancer research and others. The Robert S. Bealls, Sr. Foundation supplies scholarships to employee families.
- McDonald's, Wendy's/Pizza Hut via NPC International, Domino's Pizza, Dunkin Donuts, Taco Bell
The first BeallsFlorida store in Bradenton sold everything for $1.00 or less and was called "The Dollar Limit."
Tourism and Sports Teams Around Sarasota
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: NFL. Football commentator Tony Dungy was the head coach here for some time.
- Tampa Bay Storm Arena Football. Arena football has been growing in popularity since AD 2000.
- Tampa Bay Lightning: NHL. Hockey fans in the South enjoy this team.
- Tampa Bay Devil Rays: Major League Baseball
Ringling Family Landmarks
The Ringlings loved Italy. The Italian historic Asolo Theater, an 18th-century structure, was disassembled during The Great Depression and shipped to the Ringlings, who reassembled it where it stands today on the Ringling Museum grounds.
John Ringling Mansion and Art Museum
The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art is a tribute to a legendary circus magnate and his wife. Ringling Brothers Circus was a mainstay of entertainment in the first half of the 20th century, joining with Barnum and Bailey Circus thereafter to continue the circus tradition.
Once held in gigantic tents, the stakes of which were placed into position by elephants, these circuses switched to sports arenas and stadiums in large part by 1950.
These circuses and others like them gave the inspiration to Ray Bradbury as a boy to later create such unforgettable stories and novels such as Dark Circus, and Something Wicked This Way Comes. Combining his inspiration from the circus, early horror movies, and science fiction, Mr. Bradbury wrote these stories and they have remained unmatched to this day.
John Ringling did not realize that this could happen from his three magic rings of entertainment in the center of a canvas tent on a hot August afternoon.
On Sarasota Bay, the Ringling Art Museum is the state art museum of Florida. The mansion was restored in AD 2002 and includes Circus Museums, a huge library, a learning center, acres of gardens, parks, and the World's Largest Miniature Circus.
You can see the old circus wagons that used to come to town surrounded by running, laughing children that would pick up some work around the circus in order to gain free tickets and make friends with the elephants and the clowns. A large rose garden completes a lovely, fascinating location.
Circus Sarasota carries on the Ringling tradition of good entertainment at affordable prices, plus programs for artists and education, including guest performers from China and other countries. Link: CIRCUS SARASOTA
Salvador Dali Museum
Salvador Dali was the icon of the Surrealist Movement of art, and is known for his partings of melting clocks and faces with two eyes on only one side.
The Dali Museum is about 40 miles north from Sarasota in St. Petersburg at 1000 Third Street South. Exhibits have included an exhibit dedicated to Women, selections from 100 paintings based on the Latin Vulgate Bible, and several others.
The museum also hosts its touring galleries around America as well as multimedia presentations in Florida.
Salvador Dali's Famous Melting ClockClick thumbnail to view full-size
Postsecondary Schools in Greater Sarasota
The local higher education system catches the eyes of many visitors, who often decide to attend on of the schools listed below or apply for jobs listed by the institutions.
- Bradenton Beauty & Barber Academy
- Fashion Focus Hair Academy
- Gospel Crusade Institute
- Keiser College-Sarasota
- Manatee Community College
- Manatee Technical Institute
- New College of Florida
- Ringling College of Art & Design: One of the top employers listing job vacancies and job growth.
- Sarasota County Tech Institute
- Sarasota School of Massage
- Sunstate Academy of Hair
- Sarasota School of Architecture at USF: 4202 E. Fowler Avenue, HMS 301,Tampa FL 33620. This school prepares professionals in the increasing field of design and construction.
- Sarasota Travel School
- University of Sarasota
- University of Tampa
- University of South Florida (USF): Number One top employer listing job openings.
One famous graduate of the Ringling Art College is John Marshall, who has drawn the Blondie comic strip for many years since AD 2005. Another grad is Bret Iwan, who has voiced Mickey Mouse from AD 2009 to the present.
- Bondie.com/The Artists. Accessed December 27, 2018.
- Brooks, C. Best Editorial Cartoons of the Year 1994-2002.
- Indeed.com survey of 67 Bealls employees through December 27, 2018.
- Indeed.com Sarasota accumulated job listings for January 1 through December 27, 2018.
- MediaMikes.com. Interview with Bret Iwan. Accessed December 27, 2018.
- National Cartoonists Society. Accessed December 27, 2018.
- Sarasota Chamber of Commerce. CareerEdge. Accessed October 28, 2018.
- Valverde, M. "Bealls launches Bunulu, new stores for millennials". Accessed December 27, 2018.
© 2008 Patty Inglish MS