Places in Singapore You Must Visit: Orchard Road
They say, when you think of Singapore, you think of Orchard Road. Indeed, this place is a shopping paradise that you shouldn't miss while in Singapore. You don't even have to spend your money to enjoy yourself. Along this 'street', which actually is a long and big road, there are myriad of things to see.
Orchard Road is actually about 2.3 km long, including Orchard MRT Station and Somerset MRT Station, it stretches out from Delphi Orchard up until Orchard Central. So, should you decide to walk from one point to another, in a straight line (without being distracted by sparkling discounts, talented street-musicians, and branded stuffs along the way) it would take you approximately one hour and a half. But due to sparkling distractions along the road, it would be wise to side aside one whole day to explore this shopping belt.
Official website: Orchard Road - A Great Street
When in Orchard Rd, don't forget to enjoy...
Orchard Road is full of talented street performers. Singapore pays so much attention to quality that even the street buskers must obtain a license to perform. Take a break from your shopping with these singers, musicians, dancers, human statues, and artists.
Especially during holidays like Chinese New Year, Christmas, New Year, even Valentine's Day.
..$1 ice cream.
In this expensive city, you can still have little happiness like this $1 ice cream from a push-cart available almost in every corner of Orchard Road. The taste is not so much different from a $15 ice cream, especially in Singapore hot weather!
Not many people realise that behind the main road, there are a few small roads that goes parallel to Orchard road. One of them is the Cuppage Road, behind The Centre Point Orchard. Make sure you drop by the semi-hidden bars here.
1. Ayam Penyet Ria - #01-45 and #04-25 Lucky Plaza.
This popular restaurant chain’s most famous item is as the name suggests: Ayam penyet, or the smashed chicken. Going at around $7, the chicken is served with sambal belacan (chilli paste), fried tahu (Indonesian beancurd), and tempe (Indonesian soybean cake).
2. Food Republic, level 5 313@Somerset.
Probably one of the biggest foodcourts in Singapore, this particular branch of Food Republic is decorated in 1960's style and having an ambience of a penthouse restaurant. The choices of food are not disappointing either, among which the Japanese and Vietnamese stalls are worth the mention.
Travelling to Singapore?
- Uniquely Singapore: The Where, Who, What, How, and When.
- Click here for other places in Singapore you shouldn't miss.
- Bored of the usual? Here are 8 unconventional places in Singapore you can visit.
- You can enjoy Singapore with low budget too.
Big Shopping Malls in Orchard Road
- Delfi Orchard
- DFS Galleria Scottswalk
- Forum The Shopping Mall
- Hilton Shopping Gallery
- ION Orchard
- Lucky Plaza
- Mandarin Gallery
- Ngee Ann City
- Orchard Central
- Orchard Gateway
- Palais Renaissance
- Plaza Singapura
- Scotts Square
- Shaw House
- Tanglin Mall
- The Centrepoint
- The Heeren
- TripleOne Somerset
- Wheelock Place
- Wisma Atria
If you are looking for a cheaper accommodation that is close to Orchard Road, try YMCA International House. Located just across Dhoby Ghaut MRT, it is just a walk away Plaza Singapura, Istana, and Orchard Road.
Where to stay: Hotels around Orchard Road
- Concorde Hotel
- Four Seasons S'pore
- Goodwood Park Hotel
- Grand Hyatt S'pore
- Grand Park Orchard
- Hilton S'pore
- Holiday Inn
- Mandarin Orchard
- Orchard Hotel S'pore
- Orchard Parade Hotel
- Pan Pacific Orchard
- Pan Pacific Serviced Suites
- Royal Plaza on ScottsS'pore
- Marriott Hotel
- Shangri-La Hotel
- St Regis S'pore
- The Elizabeth Hotel
- The Quincy Hotel
- The Regent S'pore
- Traders Hotel, S'pore
- York Hotel, S'pore
Where to drink: Great bars around Orchard Road
- Acid Bar - Peranakan Place, 180 Orchard Road
- Alfresco Gusto - #01-15, ION Orchard
- Balaclava - #05-02 ION Orchard
- Brotzeit - #01-27, 313@Somerset
- Dubliner Irish Pub - #01-00 Winsland Conservation House
- JiBiru - #01-26, 313@Somerset
- KPO Cafe Bar - Killiney Road Post Office, 1 Killiney Road
- Lucky 13 - #01-02 TripleOne Somerset
- No.5 Cocktail Bar - Peranakan Place, 5 Emerald Hill Road
- Onyx Bar - #01-00 Grand Park Orchard
- Wine Connection - Cuppage Terrace, 41 Cuppage Road