- Travel and Places»
- Visiting North America»
- United States»
- New York
Best Niagara Falls Jobs in New York and Ontario
Centuries of Beauty and Work at Niagara Falls
Travel and Tourism Around The 3-in-1 Falls
In 2009, readers voted at StoodThere.com for the 100 Greatest Places to Stand in America (for photos and travel attractions). Niagara Falls was voted at the Number Four Greatest Place!
Niagara Falls spans two countries and includes three water falls - American Falls, Canadian Horseshoe Falls, and Bridal Veil Falls. These three wonders are at least 12,000 years old, as old as the migration of the Native Americans that have lived there since they appeared in North America, especially the Seneca Nation of the Iroquois Confederation.
The word Niagara itself comes from a a word among the Iroquois languages: Onguiaahra, translated into English as The Strait (reference: Six Nations Reserve, Ontario). Such historical interest and natural wonders make for a healthy Travel and Tourism business and attract many guests.
One element of tourist business around Niagara is the set of tours available by boat underneath the falls by the vessel Maid of the Mist, first launched in 1846 about the time that the American railroad systems began to operate.
Several Maids followed after the original, right up into modern times in the 21st Century. Back in the 1930s and 1940s, people I have interviewed related that they donned rubber suits to go behind the falls. Today, sightseers simply become misty-wet, from what I understand, but not drenched.
Mohawk Nation (Iroquois) Reservation in New York and Canada
New Zip Lines
With the expanding tourist movement in Niagara Falls, a new zip line ride was added to the attractions in 2016. Along the Canadian side, four parallel zip line devices travel at speeds of over 40 mph at least 2,200 feet.
Maid of the Mist Tour
Legend has it that the first honeymooners at Niagara Falls were Napoleon Bonaparte's brother and new bride. However, we have no written documentation of that event. (Romantic though, isn't it? ♥)
City of Niagara Falls, OntarioClick thumbnail to view full-size
Niagara Falls is a set of two twin cities and together form a popular vacation spot in the northeast United States and Southeast Ontario Province, one visited by some 12,000,000 travelers each year. Many of these are honeymooners that celebrate their new marriages, but people from all over the world come to Niagara Falls just to see the three immense water falls and to experience the other attractions in the area.
Niagara Falls is located in the Western NY Labor Market Region of the state, which includes the county of Niagara, along with Allegheny, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, and Erie counties. The city also is included in a smaller area known as the Buffalo-Niagara Falls MSA or metropolitan statistical area. This area includes only Erie and Niagara counties, for purposes such as projecting future high demand jobs within a particular decade (see below).
City of Niagara Falls, New York
- Niagara Falls Boat Rides & Trips | Maid of the Mist
Official Maid of the Mist website about the boat ride that gives you a close-up experience of Niagara Falls.
Mummies and the Unbelievable
Niagara Falls on both sides of the American-Canadian border offers employment choices in all types of Travel and Tourism installations - restaurants, retail businesses, large hotels, resorts, guided tours, outdoor recreation and sports, and nameless others.
A variety of fascinating museums make up a large part of the Niagara tourist attractions.
An Egyptian Mummy was shown at Niagara Falls on the US side for many years. The background is that from 1850 - 1851, a man named Serrell constructed a suspension bridge over the falls gorge at Lewiston, using Egyptian-type pylon supports. A double-decker bridge followed, also in the style of Egypt. Then, in the 1850s, part of an Egyptian collection was purchased to begin the famous Niagara Falls Museum on Table Rock.
In 1861, 6 mummies arrived in Canada to be displayed at the Falls. In the 1980s, work began in order to attempt to confirm whether the bodies are actually ancient and Egyptian, or not. In the meantime, the display alternates locations between the Canadian and American falls for display purposes and many people enjoy viewing them. It might be fun to work in this museum.
The Guinness World of Records Niagara Falls Museum is another big attraction. Many people love record-breaking feats and stunts.
Daredevils of Niagara Falls- This museum exhibits the details of the people that went over the falls in a barrel, walked a tight-rope across the gorges, etc. -- I wonder if they include the stunt presented by the old Steve Allen Tonight Show in the early 1950s, where a very young Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme sat and sang on a tree branch far out over the falls?
Singing on a Tree Branch Over the Falls
Believe It or Not!
Ripleys Believe It or Not! Museum
This is perennial favorite for visitors that enjoy the strange, true, and interesting. I began reading the collection of books based on Ripley findings when I was a child and still enjoy them.
Be sure to visit Ripley's Niagara - their website is: ripleysniagara.com. The museum has its own "wax museum" displays like the Tussauds' and more, and a theater as well as many fascinating exhibits. Additional attractions are presented in the Clifton Hill area near the falls.
The Rock Legends Wax Museum is located at 5020 Centre Street, Niagara Falls, ON L2G 3N7.
Another wax museum is the Criminals Hall of Fame Wax Museum at 5751 Victoria Avenue, Niagara Falls, ON L2G 3L6. And believe it or not, there are other wax museums around Niagara Falls as well!
The Niagara Aerospace Museum in New York is also very interesting. Once in Niagara Falls NY, it has moved nearby to Buffalo.
Many more museums and exhibits make the Niagara Falls area on both sides of the Canadian border an exiting, fun place to work and visit.
Suspension Bridge at Niagara Falls in 1886
Niagara Twin Cities Links
- The Q: Niagara Falls Downtown
Queen Street: From its origin in the 1850's, the downtown core remains the City's financial hub.
- Official Website for Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
The New Niagara Falls, Canada with attractions, vacation, and hotel information.
Queen Street, Downtown
Maid of the Mist
High Demand Jobs Inside Niagara Falls City:
- Nurse and Physician specialists
- Full-Time Retail Sales Consultants
- Supply Technicians
- Net Developers
- Commission Sales Associates
- Customer Service Representatives
- "Athlete I" - Nike Shoe Store Sales
- Retail Sales Representatives
- Loss Prevention jobs
- Maintenance/Repair jobs
- Internal Audit Directors
- VP/Directors of Finance
Jobs in Niagara Falls, Ontario
Herer are the most-advertised Top Job Listings in and around the Niagara Falls area on the Canadian side of the falls in Ontario Province. This includes the communities of nearby St. Catherines, Ontario. Many are in the Travel and Tourism Industry:
- Sales Associates ( Salespersons or Salespeople)
- Hotel Jobs in a number of fields
- Warehouse and Bottling at Winery in Grimsby
- Cooks and Line Cooks
- Technical Support Specialists
- Chartered Accountants
- Design Analysis Engineers
- Food and Beverage Servers
- Sales Representatives
- Live-in Caregivers
- Registered and Licensed Practical Nurses (RNs and LPNs)
- Restaurant Managers
- Poultry Farm Workers
Top Jobs Openings at Niagra Falls, New York
Within 25 miles of Niagara Falls on the American side of the falls, frequently-listed job titles among some 6,000+ job vacancies include the following list. They are generally in Niagara Falls, Buffalo, Amherst, and Williamsville, New York.
- Bank Tellers
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Physical Therapists
- Retail Customer Support related jobs
- Physicians in a number of specialties
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs)
- University/College Faculty
- Sales Managers
- Store Managers
- Retail and Wholesale Sales Representatives
- Bill/Account Collectors
- Sales Associates (Salespersons)
- Full Time Retail Sales Consultants
- Administrative Assistants
Most of these occupations have to do with Retail Sales and the Tourism Industry, although some Healthcare jobs are near the top of the list.
Even in January-February 2012, over 1,500 jobs appeared listed as vacancies.
Expected High Demand Jobs in Nigara Falls Area
For the decade of 2006 - 2016, the expected highest-demand jobs for ths area include:
- Waitstaff - dining.
- Retail Salespersons
- Customer Service Representatives
- Registered Nurses (RNs) - associates degree or higher.
- Food Preparation Workers
- Janitors/Cleaners, not including housekeepers
- Manual Laborers and related occupations.
- Counter Attendants - food and beverage.
- General Office Clerks
- Child Care Workers
- Mainstream Elementary School Teachers
- Home Health Aides (HHAs)
- Combined Food Prep-and-Service
- Bill/Account Collectors
- General Secretaries
- Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses (LPNs and LVNs)
- Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks
- Stock Clerks/Order Fillers
- Nursing Aides and related jobs
How to Relocate to Niagara
Relocation and Immigration - USA and Canada
Relocating to Canada
The schools on both sides of the Canadian Border are all within a radius of about only 5 miles. if you'd like to move to Canada for work or education, please visit this site: Citizenship and Immigration into Canada.
Relocating to the US for Work
If you would like to move to the American side of the falls to work or attend school, see: Applying for Work in the USA as an International Worker and obtaining a Green Card. US Passort Card: Information.
Local Higher Education
Higher Education: Colleges, Universities, Career Academies
Niagara Falls, Ontario
- Kingston College: 4700 Epworth Circle, Niagara Falls, ON L2E 1C6, Canada - (905) 353-8709
- Niagara Retraining Facility - Downtown Niagara Falls, Ontario. This school's training courses include GED; math, English, physics, and chemistry; computer skills, customer service, and security training.
- Niagara College of Applied Arts & Technology
- Niagara College Job Connect - Job-matching, referrals, placement.
- Niagara University
- Academy Of Learning Niagara – Career academy certification in a number of fields.
Niagara Falls, NY
- Cheryl Fell’s Business School: 2541 Military Rd, Niagara Falls, NY - (716) 297-2750
- Niagara County Community College (SUNY) – Undergrad programs, Graduate School, Extension Centers, Small Business Development Center.
- Niagara University – Certificates, degrees, graduate programs, nursing school, adult education, and more.
Niagara Falls, Canada
Sports Teams In Niagara Falls NY & ON
New York Side
- Niagara Falls Sox - Class A Minor League Baseball
- Niagara Power - New York Collegiate Baseball League, since 2007 [Niagara Falls is the Number One Producer of Electricity in the world]
- Niagara Falls Srbija -- Niagara Falls Soccer League
- Niagara Falls Canucks -- Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League
- Niagara IceDogs -- Ontario Hockey League
© 2009 Patty Inglish