- Travel and Places»
- Visiting North America»
- United States»
- New Jersey
What is in Atlantic City and South Jersey?
Where is South Jersey?
The term "Southern New Jersey" or "South Jersey" refers to a large Metroplex relevant to labor statistics, made up of the following counties: Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, Ocean, and Salem.
These counties, along with Northern New Jersey, are bordered by Philadelphia on the West and New York City on the East.
A substantial amount of business and vehicular traffic pass through South Jersey between these two large metroplexes that nearly surround it, as well as to Atlantic City.
The statue with several inner rooms is a National Historic Landmark with picnic tables and a long beach nearby. Guided tours and a newsletter are available (see the accompanying link).
Josephine Harron Park: Lucy the Margate Elephant
Famous Lucy the Elephant
This 65-foot-tall statue is an old landmark in South Jersey, located in Josephine Harron Park just off Atlantic Avenue.It was built in 1881 to attract attention to land developments in the South Jersey area of South Atlantic City, now called Margate.
The statue with several inner rooms is a National Historic Landmark with picnic tables and a long beach nearby. Guided tours and a newsletter are available.
Live Elephants - Ringling Brothers Circus Train from Philadelphia to Atlantic City
Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey removed all live elephants from all their acts around the world in 2017. This long-time, historic circus maintains an elephant retirement center and will care well for all of the elephants owned at this time, for the rest of their lives.
Popular Southern New Jersey Attractions
Legendary South Jersey Devil
Growing High Demand Job Listings to 2024
The highest demand job listings for South Jersey include the following job titles out of over 13,000 open listings at the end of January 2016:
- Truck Drivers and Owner-Operators - Federal Companies Trucking and Barr-Nunn.
- Wawa jobs -- Convenience store/gas station chain located along the East Coast of the United States.
- TD Bank jobs
- Healthcare Jobs - Physical and Occupational Therapists, technicians, patient care techs, other
- Health Insurance Sales - Telecommuting
- Retail Store salespeople
- IT related jobs
- Hotel and Motel Housekeepers
- Nurses - RNs and LPNs, especially for home care positions
- University of Pennsylvania - Research Staff
Top 10 Jobs in South Jersey
According to state labor market statistics, the ten occupations that offer the highest growth rates in Southern New Jersey though at least 2024 are included in the following list.
These jobs are found largely in the Healthcare and Information Technology (IT) Industries, along with Education: mainstream [non-Special-Education] Preschool Teachers, and Social Services: Rehabilitation Counselors.
Growth rates in these job titles are expected in the range of 30% to 50% during the 2010s:
- Personal and Home Care Aides
- Home Health Aides
- Medical Assistants
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts
- Preschool Teachers (mainstream)
- Computer Software Engineers, Applications
- Dental Hygienists
- Dental Assistants
- Rehabilitation Counselors
- Computer Software Engineers, Systems Software
Fast-Growing Jobs Numbers 11 through 20.
The second half of the top 20 fastest growing jobs in South Jersey make up an interesting variety of job titles. In addition, growth rates for these occupations rages fomr approximately 29% to 30%.
These jobs offer additional positions in the Healthcare Industry, but also in Tool Repair and Maintenance, Religion, Social Services, and Tourism.
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Social and Community Service Managers
- Post Secondary Philosophy and Religion Teachers
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
- Motor Vehicle Operators,
- Physical Therapist Aides
- Physical Therapists
- Meeting and Convention Planners
- Directors of Religious Activities and Education
Sports Teams in South Jersey
The following teams offer sports entertainment as well as job openings form time to time with the teams, related organizations, and event venues, as well as related tourism and events.
Universities, college and high school sports throughout the 8 counties of South Jersey offer additional opportunities.
- Trenton Thunder - Waterfront Park
- Atlantic City Surf
FOOTBALL - Amateur
- Camden Lynx
- Gloucester County Generals
- Egg Harbor Street Hockey Association
- Ocean City Nor'easters
- South Jersey Barons
- Atco Raceway
- Bridgeport Speedway
- Ocean City Fishing Club
Local Colleges, Universities, and Career Schools
© 2008 Patty Inglish