Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple, Srirangam, Trichy, The Biggest Temple Complex in India
Why one must visit Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple at Srirangam in Trichy? You must for the following ten reasons:
- Being the biggest temple complex in India.
- It is the largest Vaishnavite temple
- After the Angkor Wat in Cambodia, it is the largest Hindu temple in the world.
- The main Raja Gopuram is 12-tiered and 236 ft high and this unique feature makes it the tallest temple tower in Asia
- A holy Sri Vaishnava pilgrim centre-the longest and the first among 108 Diva Desams (sacred kshetras) of Lord Vishnu.
- The temple is a magnificent mix of Chola, Hoysala and Nayak architecture.
- It is known as the 'Gateway to Vaikuntam'.
- Built in the 13th century, the temple has 21 gopurams (towers), 39 mandapas and 50 shrines.
- It's huge proportions are amazing. The gopurams are surrounded by seven concentric walls within which the town is situated.
- The deity-Ranganatha Swamy- is 21 feet long and the seven praharams’ length is roughly six miles!
The Temple Deity
Ranganathaswamy is the temple deity. Inside the temple, you can see the huge idol of Ranganatha reclining on the lap of Adishesha, the celestial serpent, whose five heads are spread to protect his sleeping lord.
Some Quick Facts
Timings: 5.30 to 1 pm; 2 pm to 9 pm.
The sanctum is closed between 8 - 9 am and 6 – 7 pm for rituals.
Prasadams: Chakkarai Pongal, Venpongal and Curd rice.
Special Offering: Tulsi garlands and Coconuts
Special Occasion: Vaikunta Ekadasi (Dec.). During the temple festival-Vaikunta Ekadasi, devotees follow the idol of Ranganathan Swamy through ‘Sorga Vaasal’, the doorway in the Second Praharam, which is believed to be a symbol of the entrance to heaven.
Video of the Srirangam Temple
Srirangam is 4km north of Chathram Bus Stand, Trichy.
Nearest Railway Station: Trichy (Tiruchirapalli)
Nearest Airport: Thiruchirapally Airport.
Tamil Nadu is the land of the temples and Srirangam is one of the holiest and crowd puller pilgrimage centers in South India. Trichy is the base town to visit Srirangam. Apart from Srirangam, Trichy is richly blessed with the august presence of several other temples. Some famous Churches and Mosques also are situated in and around the town. In fact, Trichy is a temple town and the religious hub of Tamil Nadu. You can read more about that on my articles:
© 2015 Sunil Kumar Kunnoth