- Travel and Places»
- Visiting North America»
- United States»
St. John's Cathedral, Cleveland, Ohio
For the first several decades of the city’s existence, the religious needs of Cleveland’s Catholic citizens had been met by only St. Mary on the Flats, a parish that proved remote to many townspeople. In 1847, however, the city received both its own Diocese and a newly appointed Bishop, Louis Amadeus Rappe. Rappe, a native of Pas-de-Calais, France, had by 1840 traveled to Cincinnati, Ohio, and had later served pastoral duties along both the Maumee River and the Miami and Erie Canal in northwestern Ohio.
One of Rappe’s fist duties as Bishop of Cleveland was to lay the cornerstone of the planned Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, at Superior Avenue and Erie Street (now East 9th Street), in late 1848. By late 1852, Rappe was able to consecrate the completed Cathedral (only after venturing as far as New York City and France to solicit donations in aid of his relatively poor Diocese).
The Cathedral of 1848-1852 was designed by up-and-coming Midwestern ecclesiastical architect Patrick Charles Keeley in an ornamental French Gothic style. However, little of that original Cathedral remains today within the repeatedly expanded and renovated Cathedral and its surrounding structures.
From 1857 through 1946 many changes occurred: a boys school was added, a major hall and girls school were added, a spire was added, interior and exterior decorations were completed, new stained glass windows were installed, new furnishings were added, the crypt was rebuilt, and a Sisters’ college was added. By the mid-1940s it became apparent that the entire Cathedral complex needed reassessment. There were even discussions to relocate the Cathedral from its East 9th and Superior site.
Instead, in 1948 an even more significant reconstruction and modernization of the Cathedral and its ancillary structures began. Designed by the local architectural firm of Stickle, Kelly and Stickle, a new Cathedral arose around the shell of the old. Towers were altered, and the Cathedral lengthened, with the entire complex being faced in a golden Tennessee ashlar quartzite. With additional refinements in the years since, The Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist continues to serve its community of over 1100 members, and the largest Catholic community, as the seat of the Bishop and heart of the Cleveland Diocese.
The heart of Cleveland's Catholic Diocese and home of its Bishop.
- Epworth-Euclid Church, Cleveland, Ohio
Epworth-Euclid Church, Cleveland, Ohio Approaching its 90th year of serving its congregation, the ‘Oil-Can’ Church, erected in 1928, regally presides over a key intersection in Cleveland’s east-side University Circle area. This modern...
- Euclid Avenue Congregational Church Lost to Fire
Euclid Avenue Congregational Church Depicted above as it appeared just a few weeks ago, The Euclid Avenue Congregational Church in Cleveland, Ohio, succumbed to a massive blaze on March 23rd. The city has thereby lost another of its great historic...
- East Mount Zion Baptist Church, Cleveland, Ohio
The distinctive green stone of this church combines with its multiple gables and conical forms to make a distinctive design statement.
- Erie Street Cemetery, Cleveland, Ohio
Erie Street Cemetery, Cleveland, Ohio This historic urban cemetery occupies grounds on the north side of East Ninth Street immediately opposite Progressive Field (formerly Jacobs Field), home of the Cleveland Indians baseball team. The burial...
- Romantic Architecture of Cleveland
Romance: al fresco at Legacy Village To commemorate Valentine’s Day, here’s a sampling of some of the most romantic settings of Cleveland-area architecture (and urbanism): • The restored grandeur of Severance Hall during a Cleveland Orchestra...
- Voinovich Bicentennial Park, Cleveland, Ohio
This relatively recent addition to Cleveland's string of attractions along the Lake Erie shore punctuates the terminus of the City's downtown as it meets the water.
- See More of Cleveland Now!
Here's a great way to get a newcomer's introduction to some of the sights of 'The Forest City' on the shore of Lake Erie.
- The Terminal Tower: A Cleveland Landmark
To most Cleveland residents, this structure towering over Public Square is the most recognized icon of the City.
- Cleveland's Severance Hall
It is a grand and special experience to hear the famed Cleveland Orchestra perform in the classic splendor of this highly regarded concert hall.
- Cleveland's Erieview Tower
Erieview Tower Whether you call it Erieview Tower, or the Tower at Erieview, or Erieview Plaza Tower or simply 100 Erieview, this 40-story modernist slab . . .
- First Federal Savings Bank Building (Charter One), C...
The former First Federal Savings Bank Building was erected in 1987 at 1215 Superior Avenue.
- Eaton Center, Cleveland, Ohio
All-glass-clad edifice towering 356 feet above the intersection of East 12th Street and Superior Avenue in downtown Cleveland.