St. Thomas – The U.S. Virgin Islands
Go sailing, snorkeling, shopping and sightseeing; enjoy the panorama views and the picture-perfect beaches. In St. Thomas, you can do all this and more.
St. Thomas is located in the U.S. Virgin Islands, thirty-eight miles east of Puerto Rico. This island of 32 square miles is thirteen miles long and four miles wide. The population as of 2010 was 51,600 residents and this island is home to the port and capital city of 'Charlotte Amalie.'
St. Thomas is a mountainous island, with many of the roads offering great panoramic views of the island and surrounding ocean. When exploring the hills and beaches, you will find a variety of accommodations; resorts and vacation homes. This is a water lover’s haven; if you plan to vacation here, please allow time to visit some of the beaches to relax, swim or sight-see.
There is no shortage of activities in St. Thomas; visitors will have the opportunity to see and do a variety of things including the following:
- For the traveler that enjoys art, St Thomas has a few exhibits including: the Camille Pissarro exhibit and the Gallery at St Thomas; if you are unable to visit the island, the Gallery at St. Thomas will deliver your purchase to you.
- If you like the beach, there is no shortage of beautiful beaches in St Thomas; some of the more popular locations include: Coki Point, Magens Bay, Morningstar, Sapphire, and Hull Bay on the north side.
- For the traveler that enjoys museums, St Thomas has some great points of interest; some of the more popular one includes: Blackbeard's Castle, French Heritage museum and Fort Christian
- If you are an Eco-tourist, there is Coral World Ocean park, Butterfly Garden and many other attractions.
- Shopaholics will find great shopping in the Charlotte Amalie area: There are hundreds of duty-free-shops lining the the streets of Charlotte Amalie; some of the popular shopping areas include: The Dronningens Gade street area; here you will find malls, boutiques and specialty shops. Another area is Vendors Plaza; this is a popular place to buy souvenirs. Lastly, Havensight is a popular group of stores that cater to tourist; this group of stores is located next to the primary cruise ship dock.
- For those who want to tour the island or waterways, there are a variety of ways to do it including: helicopter tours, Sky-ride, land based, submarine and the kayak mangrove tour.
- Lastly, if you desire to visit towns outside of Charlotte Amalie, two popular destinations include 'Frenchtown' and 'Redhook.'
St. Thomas is a great place to relax, unwind and enjoy yourself. With so many activities to choose from, there is sure to be something you will enjoy. Just remember, a friendly smile awaits you in St.Thomas.