Do You Want to Study in Canada? - How Can International Students Apply?
How to apply as an international student
How to apply to an Ontario College or University as an international student.
If you live outside Canada and you wish to study in a university or college in Ontario, you need to apply through the Ontario College Application Service (OCAS). This is where you should start with your online application.
If you wish to communicate with them through the mail, you may write them at the address shown below.
How to qualify as an international student in Canada
To be able to study in a college or university in one of the richest nations in North America is a golden opportunity. You need a study permit to be able to enter an educational institution in Canada. Before you can obtain a study permit, you must first be accepted by a recognized college or university in Canada.
To qualify as an international student in Canada, you must meet the following criteria:
1. You must have received an acceptance from a college or university in Canada.
2. You must have enough funds to pay for your tuition fee, living and transportation expenses. If a member of your family is accompanying you to Canada, you should be able to pay for his or her living and transportation expenses as well.
3. You must not have any criminal record whatsoever and not be a security risk to Canada. You may have to submit a police certificate to prove that you have no criminal record.
4. You must be in perfect health and must be able to submit to a complete medical examination.
5. You must be able to convince the immigration officer that you will leave Canada after your studies.
There are situations, though, where you don't need a study permit to be able to go to school in Canada:
1. You don't need a study permit if you intend to enroll in a six-month course or less.
2. You are a family or staff member of a foreign diplomat.
3. You are a member of a Foreign Armed Forces by virtue of the Visiting Forces Act.
How to apply for a student permit
- Check how long it will take for your visa office to process your application. You need to know the number of days the Canadian Embassy in your area will process your student visa so you can prepare the required documents and submit your application way ahead of time.
- Fill out and print the application form. The application form for a student permit or student visa can be obtained from the Canadian immigration website.
- Determine where you will submit your application. You need to get the exact address of the Canadian visa office you will submit your application
- Gather the documents you need to submit with your application form. You need to get a list of documents to prepare to submit together with your application forms.
- If you intend to study in Quebec, check their provincial application guidelines.
- Complete your application documents for a study permit.
- Pay the processing fee.
- Double check your application form.
- Submit the application form.
- Provide additional information or documents required by the visa office.
Citizenship and Immigation Canada has introduced a new Application for a Study Permit Made Outside of Canada form. It includes additional forms for applicants to fill out and an instruction guide.
An applicant must fill out and sign his own individual form, including those persons travelling as members of a family. An applicant who is under the age of 18 must have his form signed by a parent of guardian.
If you wish to apply for a criminal record check, for security clearance for employment puposes, or want to get a fingerprint form, log on to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police website and it will show you how to obtain these important documents.
© 2012 Zee Mercado