Complete Itinerary for Family Friendly Vacation in Williamsburg, Virginia
Williamsburg, Virginia: A Brief Overview
Williamburg is a city full of history and family friendly activities. There are plenty of hotel accommodations, restaurants and activities to plan a fun filled itinerary guaranteed to please the whole family.
Founded in 1699 Williamsburg, Virginia was the capital of the Virginia Colony and named for King William III of England. As it grew, it became the center of society, religion and politics in the colonies. Home of the College of William and Mary, Williamsburg was a city that was home to many scholars such as Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe and John Tyler. In 1780 the capital was moved to Richmond where it remains today. Williamsburg continued to flourish, but in a more quiet manner. Today it is the center for the preservation of colonial life and a frequented tourist attraction.
Attractions at a Glance
- Colonial Williamsburg
- Busch Gardens
- Governor's Palace
- Bassett Hall
- Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Art Museum
- Bruton parish Episcopalian Church
There are many more activities, but these are some of the most popular
Attractions to Visit, Sites to See
- Colonial Williamsburg: experience and become a part of the Revolutionary City, learn about the hardships of war, visit the art museums, stay at a historic hotel, eat local cuisine and explore the city at your leisure
- Jamestowne: visit the first settlement in the United States, see current archaeological digs, experience daily life during the time with living history programs, eat at the historic cafe and visit the famous James Fort
- Busch Gardens: European themed adventure park with rides, beautiful scenery, wide variety of cuisine, live stage shows, shopping and so much more
- Governor's Palace: see how the governor lived in this historically accurate refurbished home with complete restoration and guided tours
- Bassett Hall: smaller scale than the Governor's Palace, but just as historically accurate home of Mr. and Mrs. Rockefeller Jr complete with 18th century furnishings and well guided tours
- Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Art Museum: see historic objects restored and on display from toys to paintings to furniture from the 19th century
- Bruton Parish Episcopalian Church: One of the oldest churches in the area, this historic site was the spiritual guide for people such as George Washington and Thomas Jefferson
Links to Attractions Websites
- Bruton Parish Episcopal Church - Williamsburg - Reviews of Bruton Parish Episcopal Church - TripAdvi
Bruton Parish Episcopal Church, Williamsburg: See 330 reviews, articles, and 27 photos of Bruton Parish Episcopal Church, ranked No.3 on TripAdvisor among 51 attractions in Williamsburg.
- Governor's Palace - Williamsburg - Reviews of Governor's Palace - TripAdvisor
Governor's Palace, Williamsburg: See 454 reviews, articles, and 41 photos of Governor's Palace, ranked No.7 on TripAdvisor among 51 attractions in Williamsburg.
- Bassett Hall - Williamsburg - Reviews of Bassett Hall - TripAdvisor
Bassett Hall, Williamsburg: See 88 reviews, articles, and 1 photos of Bassett Hall, ranked No.6 on TripAdvisor among 51 attractions in Williamsburg.
- The Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum : The Colonial Williamsburg Official History & Citi
- Home--Historic Jamestowne
Historic Jamestowne is the site of the first permanent English settlement in America. This site details information for visitors, students, and researchers who are interested in the site and its archaeology.
- Discover | Colonial Williamsburg
Explore info about The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation (CWF) and discover more about our heritage and culture. Learn about the historic colonial city of Williamsburg, Va., in America's historic triangle and join us to be part of the story.
Lodging at a Glance
- Williamsburg Inn
- Holiday Inn
- Days Inn
- Hampton Inn and Suites
- Providence Inn
Find a Bed to Lay Your Head
- Williamsburg Inn: Located in Colonial Williamsburg, this luxurious inn is elegance and comfort at its finest.You have many choices such as relaxing in the spa, spending quiet time in your beautifully furnished room with your loved one and a movie, eat at the Inn Restaurant or spend some time pampering yourself in the exquisite bath in your room. Furnishings are 19 century reproductions and the rooms styled in the elegance of the era. There are five rooms from which to choose: the Inn Superior, the Inn Deluxe, the Inn Luxury, the Inn Junior suite and the Inn Resort Suite. It is on the more expensive side per night, but if its elegance, comfort and refinement you are searching for look no further!
- Providence Inn: Featuring beautiful luxerious king size suites the Providence Inn boasts beautiful gardens and other activities for their guests. They provide a shuttle service for anywhere within the Revolutionary city, a pool, tennis courts, meeting rooms, golf course, driving range, fitness center and much more. Still on the more expensive side, but cheaper than the Inn. Also located in Colonial Williamsburg
- Holiday Inn: There are several locations all conveniently situated within Williamsburg depending on the areas you will frequent. Very reasonably priced with large rooms that are clean and feel almost brand new and a very courteous helpful staff.
- Days Inn: On a smaller and less expensive scale, the Days Inn fits the bill! Friendly helpful staff will assist you with your needs. Recently renovated the rooms are well maintained as is the rest of the hotel. Many of the reviews of traveler's are that it is "the best kept secret in Williamsburg"
- Hampton Inn and Suites: Right in the same price range as the Days Inn and Holiday Inn, the Hampton Inn and Suites is well kept and clean. It has not been renovated so the décor is on the smaller, older side but very well maintained. There is a breakfast area and a large pool for guests' use as well.
Links to Lodgings Websites
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Williamsburg-Historic Gateway - Williamsburg, Virginia
Official site of Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Williamsburg-Historic Gateway. Read guest reviews and book your stay with our Best Price Guarantee. Kids stay and eat free at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites.
- Days Inn Historic Area (Williamsburg, VA) - Motel Reviews - TripAdvisor
Days Inn Historic Area, Williamsburg: See 201 traveler reviews, 51 candid photos, and great deals for Days Inn Historic Area, ranked #4 of 81 hotels in Williamsburg and rated 4.5 of 5 at TripAdvisor.
- Hotels Williamsburg, VA - Hampton Inn Williamsburg Historic District
Step back in time at the Hampton Inn and Suites hotel in Williamsburg. In Virginia's legendary historic area, our Williamsburg hotel offers spacious accommodations and gracious service near the city's top historic attractions.
- Providence Hall Guesthouses | Hotel Rooms and Suites | Colonial Williamsburg | Colonial Williamsburg
Explore the relaxing Providence Hall Guesthouses in Williamsburg, VA. Read about amenities, view photos of rooms and suites, find vacation packages, make a reservation online, and more.
- Williamsburg Inn | Hotel Rooms and Suites | Colonial Williamsburg | Colonial Williamsburg
Explore the luxurious Williamsburg Inn resort hotel in Williamsburg, VA. Read about amenities, view photos of rooms and suites, find vacation packages, make a reservation online, and more.
Dining at a Glance
- The Fat Canary
- Guiseppe's Italian Restaurant
- Food for Thought
- Huzzah! BBQ Grille
- Squire's Grille
- Pigs in a Kilt
- Grogan's Pub
- Grogan's Grille
- Cafe Lulu
- Trapper's Smokehouse
- Ristorante della Plazza
Pick a Place to Feast
- The Fat Canary: If you are in the mood for finer cuisine the Fat Canary is a great place to try. Rated one of the best restaurants in Virginia, the Fat Canary has a wonderful selection of both food and wine from which to choose. As the food is on the finer side, the prices do match. However, for the quality of food, the prices are quite reasonable.
- Giuseppe's Italian Restaurant: For Italian food look no further than Giuseppe's! Fantastic food at great prices for both lunch and dinner. There are an abundance of appetizers and entrees from which to choose, all of which are beautifully prepared.
- Food for Thought: For a more varied menu give Food for Thought a try. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, the menu carries a wide variety of options and does have many options for seniors, kids and gluten free. Good prices and friendly staff make this not only a pleasant dining experience, but a relaxing family friendly environment.
- Colonial Williamsburg: Upon visiting Colonial Williamsburg, there is no need to even leave for meals. There are plenty of choices from five different taverns to a BBQ Grille to Cafes. The best for kids (assuming you don't mind them getting their hands a little dirty) would be Huzzah! BBQ Grille. Here your children can make their own pizza and enjoy food they are more familiar with such as chicken tenders and cheeseburgers. Of course there are many options for adults as well like ribs and salmon. Great prices in a great atmosphere, you can't go wrong!
- Busch Gardens: There is something for everyone during your visit to Busch Gardens. First choose a European food genre. Choices from Italy, England, Ireland etc, then choose a restaurant. From England, the Squire's Grille is a good dining choice for the family. Scotland offers an extremely fun filled casual atmosphere at Pigs in a Kilt. If it is snacks and beverages you seek, stop in at Grogan's Pub but if you are interested in a full Irish meal, go to the much frequented Grogan's Grill. In France, visit Cafe Lulu or Trapper's Smokehouse. For great food and fun head to Germany's Oktoberfest. Here there are many options from sit in dining to grab and go snacks. For a food and entertainment head over to Italy at Ristorante della Plazza for a show with your meal as well as a selection for children.
Links to Restaurants
- Contemporary Restaurants | Colonial Williamsburg | Colonial Williamsburg
Experience the best restaurants at the Colonial Williamsburg Resort. There's something for all tastes, from fine cuisine to regional dishes or causal fare.
- Taverns and Historic Dining | Colonial Williamsburg | Colonial Williamsburg
Go back in time and experience a meal at a tavern in Colonial Williamsburg's historic area. Enjoy great food, entertainment, balladeers, and living history.
- Giuseppe's Italian Restaurant | Williamsburg, Virginia | Pizza | Pasta | Wine
Italian Restaurant in Williamsburg, Virginia | Pizza | Pasta | Wine
- Busch Gardens Theme Parks in Tampa and Williamsburg
Experience unique animal encounters, world class roller coasters, tasty dining and amazing live entertainment. Plan your vacation, buy tickets, get park hours.
- Fat Canary, good food and wine in Merchant's Square, Williamsburg, Virginia
- Food For Thought Restaurant | Eat, Drink, Think
- Huzzah! BBQ Grille Restaurant | Colonial Williamsburg | Colonial Williamsburg
Huzzah! BBQ Grille offers family favorites such as barbecue, pizza, and wings. Enjoy the beers and specialty drinks on hand that pair perfectly with the savory BBQ menu.
Please feel free to add any ideas, suggestions, etc to help this enhance this hub!