- Travel and Places
Ten Tips for Driving the Alaska Highway
Enjoy Driving the Alaska Highawy
Driving to Alaska is the adventure of a lifetime. Here are some tips for a pleasurable and pain free trip.
1. Keep a copy of the Milepost close at hand. It is the most comprehensive guide to driving the highway with a mile by mile breakdown of sights and attractions along the road.
2. Allow enough time to take some side trips. In a matter of hours you can leave the Alaska Highway and visit scenic communities like Haines or Skagway,
3. Make sure your vehicle is well maintained before you leave. You will be traveling for long stretches without access to a mechanic.
4. Take time to visit museums and cultural centers along the way. They offer a unique insight into the history and culture of the Yukon and Alaska and are staffed by friendly people.
5. Spend some time exploring the major centers like Whitehorse. The Yukon capital has a rich arts and sports community.
6. Camp in Yukon government campgrounds. They are available for a small nightly fee, offer free firewood and are a great way to meet people along the way.
7. Leave your itinerary with a friend or family member back home. Check in along the way. You will not have cell phone service along most of the highway.
8. Don't forget your camera or video recorder. Chances are you'll encounter wildlife like moose, bison and bears along the way.
9. Take at least one adventure day along the way. Choose rafting, a helicopter tour or a guided hike.
10. The Alaska Highway is fully paved but expect delays due to construction along the way. Take your time. There is a scenic view around every corner.
Number 11. There's always a bonus item to the top ten. Don't forget to pack lots of bug spray. Enjoy your trip to Alaska.
Milepost Guide 2012
- Best Road Trip: Alaska On The Alaska Highway
In 2007 I had the chance to take a road trip, and on a whim I decided it would be fun to drive to Alaska along the Alaska Highway! It wasn't part of the original plan, and it ended up costing a fortune. I had no idea that traveling through Canada wou
- So You're Going To Alaska (A Few Things You Should K...
Seven things to know about Alaska before you visit. This can help you plan your trip if you decide to go. Enjoy the United States Last Frontier!
- Alaska Living: A Day in the Life of a Typical Alaska...
To learn more about Alaska and Alaskans, I guess talking about a day in the life of a
- Alaska Seasons Explained
Dispelling some of the myths and defining the terminology surrounding the turn of seasons (Winter, Summer, Fall, and Spring) in Alaska…with a bit of humor thrown in to make it interesting.