- Travel and Places»
- Travel Tips & Preparation
The Best and Easiest Food for Travel
Packing your own snacks and meals is a great way to save money while you’re traveling, and also a way to stay healthy. Rather than spending extra money on restaurants or trying to subsist on fast food, you can pack a few healthy and easy snacks for yourself. Depending on how far you’re traveling, your foods may need to meet certain requirements. For example, it’s probably best if they don’t need to be refrigerated and are fairly lightweight. Here are a few ideas of easily prepared and travel-friendly foods you can pack to take with you:
1. Nuts. A bag of mixed nuts is a good source of protein and healthy fats to carry along with you while traveling. They keep for ages and are easily stuffed into a side pocket of a bag. If you’re aiming for health, unsalted nuts are best.
2. Dried fruit. Snacks like fruit leather, raisins, or other dried fruits are a good source of fiber and easy to carry around. You can also mix these with nuts to make a good trail mix.
3. Vegetable chips. I don’t mean your average bag of potato chips, which are often salty, greasy, and a bit unsatisfying. Instead, try picking up a bag of unsalted vegetable chips made of potato, sweet potato, beets, and other veggies.
4. Whole grain crackers. Another good source of fiber and protein, and easy to eat on the go.
5. Peanut or almond butter packets. You can pick up small packets of peanut or almond butter at most outdoors-themed stores. These are small and easy to pack, and you can squeeze them onto a cracker or an apple for a quick snack.
6. Fresh fruit. If you’re going on a short enough trip or have enough room in your bag, try bringing along an apple, banana, or orange.
7. If you have a cooler, like for shorter trips, here are some other ideas:
-Carrot sticks, celery sticks, or cucumber slices
-One or two sandwiches
With some of the above snacks, hopefully you’ll be able to make it through your trip in good health and be able to save a little money. Any other ideas? Share them below!