- Travel and Places
The Fascinating One Thousand Islands in Canada and USA
Travel Man's 2008-2009 shots at Thousand Islands featuring Boldt & Singer CastlesClick thumbnail to view full-size
I fell in love with Canada, when the cargo ship that I worked for in 2008-2009 included almost all the provinces and key cities of the country surrounding the Seven Great Lakes. I've been at the ports of Quebec and Toronto last Christmas of 2008. The rigors of passing the locks of the lakes at the top of the mountains, just overlooking two countries (of course the United States of America) was awesome to remember. But the most vivid photos I've been longing to share with you were the beauty of the famed 'One Thousand Islands' and the two historic castles that were vocally and visually promoted by the port captains and visitors that went onboard our vessel. I left my heart on those islands and those friendly homeowners who can't stop waving on us when we shouted Christmas greetings on them. The cold and frigid air didn't stopped me from taking those memorable photographs including some videos.
This coming Christmas 2010, I'll recommend that you
explore the islands and the two castles, Boldt and Singer Castles that
I'm sure will be included in your itinerary.In Thousand Islands, Canada and USA meet at St. Lawrence Seaway and Ontario.
Please stay with me and be mesmerized by the photos and videos I've collated just for you.
I'll entice you to visit one of the islands. You'll never regret you did. If you have the budget...choose one of the cozy hotels, befriend Canadian or American guides to help you get acquainted with the 'magic' of the Thousand Islands.
Choose One of Thousand Islands between Canada & USA
'One Thousand Islands' is not per see an exact number of these group of big and small floating land portions in the Saint Lawrence River beside the Canadian Border while at the Alexandria Bay in New York, USA.
The area is very popular among vacationers, campers, and boaters, and is often referred to as the "fresh water boating capital of the world".
My fellow seafarers 'believed' that the delicious vegetable salad dressing named after the islands came from Canada (mostly made from Holland). Nah, it actually originated in New York. Okay, on a lighter note, the dressing really makes magic to vegetable salad I prepared onboard ship.
The two famous and historic islands among those famed 'thousand islands' (totaling 1, 793), are the Boldt Castle and the Singer Castle.
The Boldt Castle is located at the Heart Island (due to its shape) near the New York border. The George Boldt's castle is very historic due to the love story that embedded the purpose of its construction. It is a testament of one man's love of his wife, has been under renovation by its owner, the Thousand Islands Bridge Authority since 1977, and can be visited by boat or tour cruise. This 120-room mansion and surrounding grounds are available for touring, and is also available for wedding ceremonies.
Meanwhile, the Singer Castle is located at the Dark Island and is equally famous because its master owned the sewing machine empire (my mother used to own a unit of the machine) in the world.It is privately renovated and is open to tourists. Frederick Bourne had his castle constructed with secret passageways so that he could spy on his guests.
Note: I've included my personal edited videos of the views of Thousand Islands and my adventures in Canada while working onboard ship. MrMusicman1971 is my account on YouTube. Enjoy viewing!!!
Boldt & Singer Castles (Music Richard Clyderman Instrumentals) c/o MrMusicman1971
Thousand Islanders...Ahoy There?!!!
My fascination began when our cargo vessel, M/V Utviken (owned by Norwegian Company - Viken - a conglomerate of Wallem shipping), sailed the St. Lawrence waterways on December 13th, 2008.
The consolation of weary, sleepy and tired watchmen of the vessel was the spectacular views of unique houses, including the ice-frosted Boldt castle and Singer Castle during that wintertime.
While cooking our lunch on 13th of December 2008, I excitedly took some shots and videos of some beautiful spots of several islets of Thousand Island group, much to the disgust of my fellow cook (he's my senior chief cook). Anyway, all seafarers were giddy (excited in a nice way) about the snow (it's cold..brrr!!!), posing outside the superweather deck of the ship just wearing skimpy clothing (not afraid of acquiring hypothermia-to be frozen in a cold temperature).
If you're one of us, you'll be amazed of our enthusiasm clicking our digital cameras, out of focus or not, on everything that fancied our eyes while passing the borders. Birds, houses, boats, especially the two historic castles, Boldt & Singer, with the encouragement of our ship pilots and stevedores.
Going Ashore (Music:Just Dance-LadyGAGA) c/o MrMusicman1971
Crossing the Canada-US borders
The lure to pass the border without notice among residents on the two sides of the rivers are common.
But a BIG, BIG CAUTION TO ALL UNACCOUNTED TOURISTS or YOU MAY CALL THEM INTRUDERS or ILLEGAL CROSSER.
The advisory to all Canadians or Americans who will pass borders by tunnels, bridges or rivers without the proper permission will be accounted to the laws being implemented between the two countries regarding 'BORDER CONTROL'.
The United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) enforces rules regarding identification requirements for U.S. citizens and international travellers entering the country.
Starting June 2009, persons arriving through land and sea ports-of-entry (including ferries) will be required to present a valid passport; however, an enhanced driver's license, passport card, ora DHS-approved trusted traveler program will suffice for U.S. and Canadian citizens.
Border Control Laws and Regulations apply to all countries around the world in order to protect their sovereignty, especially to notorious people who smuggle goods or even involved themselves in human trafficking.
Here is the List of Canada-US border crossings that will help you get acquainted with the bridges or tunnels you'll pass if you go to the Thousand Islands.
- Fort Frances-International Falls International Bridge – Fort Frances, Ontario and International Falls, Minnesota
- Baudette-Rainy River International Bridge – Baudette, Minnesota and Rainy River, Ontario
- Sault Ste. Marie International Bridge – Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan and Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
- Blue Water Bridge – Port Huron, Michigan and Sarnia, Ontario
- St. Clair Tunnel
- Detroit–Windsor Tunnel – Windsor, Ontario and Detroit, Michigan
- Michigan Central Railway Tunnel – Windsor, Ontario and Detroit, Michigan
- Ambassador Bridge – Windsor, Ontario and Detroit, Michigan
- Peace Bridge – Fort Erie, Ontario and Buffalo, New York
- Whirlpool Rapids Bridge – Niagara Falls, Ontario and Niagara Falls, New York
- Rainbow Bridge – Niagara Falls, Ontario and Niagara Falls, New York
- Queenston-Lewiston Bridge – Queenston, Ontario and Lewiston, New York
- Thousand Islands Bridge – Wellesley Island, New York and Hill Island, Ontario
- Ogdensburg-Prescott International Bridge – Ogdensburg, New York and Johnstown, Ontario
- Three Nations Crossing – Cornwall, Ontario and Massena, New York
- Blackpool Border Crossing - Saint-Bernard-de-Lacolle, Quebec and Champlain, New York
Visit at Seaman's Center(Music:IGotAFeelin'-BEP)
Best Hotels & Motels at One Thousand Islands -Where you want to stay on vacation
The most cheap or affordable hotel or motel is the traveler's goal when spending a memorable vacation, especially at One Thousand Islands.
Travel advisory include these hotels and motels where you can spend a week or even months while visiting historical locations in the islands, whether your in Canada or in USA.
So let's browse and decide what hotel or motel is your best choice.
- 1000 Islands Quality Inn & Suites - 5 minutes to Gananoque Boat Line 1000 Islands Cruises. Walking distance to Thousand Islands Charity Casino. Address: 650 King St. E Gananoque,On,K7G 1H3Phone: (613) 382-1453Fax: (613) 382-4387E-mail firstname.lastname@example.orgToll free: 1-866-466-7912Website www.qualityinn1000islands.com
- 1000 Islands
Comfort Inn - PET FRIENDLY, Senior and CAA/AAA rates. Address:
785 King St. E
Gananoque,On, K7G 1H4Phone: (613) 382-4728Fax: (613) 382-4387Toll Free 1-866-466-6773Email
- Howard Johnson Inn Gananoque - offers warm hospitality and exceptional services suited to please business and leisure travelers. Address: 550 King St. E Gananoque, OnPhone: 613-382-3911Fax: 613-382-8638Toll Free 1-888-689-7973Email email@example.com Website:http://www.hojo1000island.com/
- Colonial Resort & Spa - is a full service hotel with restaurant, pub and spa. Address:780 King Street West, Gananoque, ON K7G 2H5Toll Free: 1-800-267-9497Tel: 613-382-3226Fax: 613-382-8390Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.colonialresort.com
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Indoor Pool, Fitness Centre and Business Centre. On site guest laundry. Conference Facilities. Located close to Gananoque Boat Line 1000 Islands Cruise and walking distance to 1000 Islands Casino. Address: 777 King Street East, Gananoque, ON K7G 1H4Toll Free: 1-866-301-2650 Tel: 613-382-8338Fax: 613-382-0435Email: email@example.com Website: www.holidayinnexpress1000islands.com
Glen House Resort - is located in the heart of the 1000 Islands, midway between Toronto and Montreal and 1 hour from Ottawa and Syracuse. Address: 1000 Islands Parkway, Gananoque, On K7G 2T6 Phone: (613) 659-2204 Fax: (613) 659-2232Toll Free: 800-268-GLEN (4536)Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website:http://www.glenhouseresort.com
Clarion Inn & Conference Centre - Breakfast Bar included in room rate. Standard rooms and Deluxe Whirlpool/Fireplace suites. Indoor pool, fitness centre, business centre. Address: 50 Main StreetGananoque, Ontario, K7G 2L7Phone: (613) 382-7272Fax: (613)-382-4096Toll Free: 1-800-265-7474Email: email@example.com Website www.clarioninn1000islands.com
Pecks Marina Motel - In the heart of the 1000 islands, sit on your own deck overlooking the picturesque marina and the mighty St. Lawrence river. Address: Pecks Marina Motel505 1000 Island ParkwayLansdowne, OnK0E-1L0Phone: 613-659-3185Phone: 1-800-951-7325 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org 2km West of the US Bridge9 km east of Gananoquewebsite http://www.pecksmarina.on.ca
Gateway Motel - Experience the quiet country atmosphere with "in town" convenience to all local attractions. Address: 819 King St. West Gananoque, OnFax: 1-613-382-4868Toll Free 1-800-427-0296 Website:http://www.gananoque.com/gateway
Island Lodge - Canada's
only hotels on one of the 1000 Islands.Address: 37 Skydeck Road,
RR#1 Lansdowne, OntarioPhone: (613) 659-2286Toll Free: 1-866-659-4459
- The Ramada Provincial Inn - Minutes from Gananoque Boat Line, a scenic bike path, golf courses and live theatre.Address:846 King St. East, Gananoque,On Phone: (613) 382-2038Fax: (613) 382-8663Toll Free: 1-877-837-7768
- Imperial Inn - Nestled in the heart of the 1000 Islands. Address: 555 King Street EastGananoque, Ontario K7G 1H1Email: email@example.comPhone: 613-382-4282 Fax: 613-382-2737 Website: http://www.imperialinn1000islands.com/
- 1000 Island Condo Getaway - The condo looks directly at the Gananoque Marina. Address: Gananoque, On.Phone: Please call for reservations! 1-613-329-6600Fax: 1-613-382-4903Toll free: 1-888-559-9937Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Best Western Country Squire Resort - FREE BUFFET BREAKFAST WHEN YOU STAY WITH US! Tranquility Spa included. Address: 715 King Street East, Gananoque,Ontario Canada K7G 1H41-800-267-9415Tel: (613) 382-3511 Fax: (613) 382-4890 Website: http://www.1000islandsbestwestern.com/
Note: Most of hotel owners and management nowadays advocate smoke-free, pet-friendly and tranquil-abound environment. Their services also include spa, massage or even beauty shops for priming and relaxing your whole body. What I like is free internet or the wi-fi service if you carry your laptop or netbook computer or smaller ones like cellular phones that include web browsing or internet service. Giving tips is also important for the good service they (hotel, motel attendants) rendered on you.