The Historic Saint Andrews Area On The Gulf Coast Of Florida
Welcome To Historic Saint Andrews
View Of Saint Andrews Bay
Feed The Fish
Seagulls Roosting In The Sunshine State
A Historic And Quaint Community
Many great memories have been profusely made down by the bay where the family-friendly attractions, entertainment, outdoor recreation, and commerce all thrive abundantly. A small community known as historical Saint Andrews is located just outside of the downtown Panama City, Florida area. Located only two miles east of the well known Hathaway Bridge. The quaint bayside village is nestled on the shores of the historical Saint Andrews Bay. Playful dolphins are regularly spotted in the morning hours whenever the tides are at there calmest. On occasions the manatee is witnessed swimming in the bay as well. Usually in the shallow waters, vast schools of Mullet, Speckled Trout, and Red Fish are caught by fishermen. Currently there are several fish feeding stations that encourage visitors and locals alike to feed the fish in the bay. Seagulls and pelicans roost in the warm sunrays of the sunshine state. The Great Blue Heron is often seen standing motionless whenever waiting to snatch up some shad fish, crabs, and other unsuspecting marsh creatures. Saint Andrews Bay is a sixty-nine thousand acre estuary located in Bay County, Florida that is steeped with a large abundance of past history. The area was once settled by Native American Indians, has many connections to the American Civil War, and even had pirates roaming the salty waters during the eighteenth to nineteenth centuries.
Historic Saint Andrews Marina
Saint Andrews Marina Store
Fleet Of Ships At the Marina
A Municipal Marina
Along Bayview Avenue lies a boardwalk that runs adjacent to the Saint Andrews Marina. Typically makes for the ideal spot to walk the dogs or take an early morning jog. The marina was established in the sixties and is classified as a municipal marina. Atleast ninety percent of ship slips are available to rent to the general public on a first come first serve basis. A marina ship store opens up at seven o'clock daily. The marina store sells supplies to fishermen, ship captains, fishing charters, and shrimp boat crews. It is an official American Sailing Association training facility. Items such as ship slips, gasoline, diseal fuel, hot coffee, Flordia fishing liscenses, ice, snacks, danishes, ice cream, cold beer, wine, fishing bait, and tackle are all available to purchase at the store. Near the store is a covered pavilion with picnic tables to enjoy the ice cream or the breathtaking views. Just around the corner from the store is a Fresh Shrimp stand to use for fishing bait. The shrimp stand is a wholesale/retail dealer that is open seven days a week year-round. A large variety of different vessels call the Saint Andrews Marina home. Some include: luxery yachts, working tugboats, large tanker ships, fishing charter boats, house boats, shrimp boats, sailboats, and schooners.
Driving Directions To Saint Andrews Marina
A municipal city marina located in the Saint Andrews area that is popular with visitors and locals alike.
The Governer Stone Schooner
History Of Ships
A great abundance of history about past and present ships exist at the Saint Andrews Marina. Governer Stone Schooner docks at Saint Andrews where it tremendously served in it's early working years. The schooner was built in the late eighteen-hundreds and currently holds the record of being the oldest known surviving schooner on the entire Gulf Coast. Governer Stone worked extremely hard during its days of functional operation. This particular schooner was normally used to transfer raw oysters skiff to market in Mobile Bay, mail carrier, carried cargo to and from ships anchored offshore, as a rum-runner offloading ships from Cuba during prohibition, a merchant marine training vessel during the second World War, sponge boat, or a day sailor for luxery resorts. The Governer Stone Schooner was extremely vital for trading goods and everyday life of coastal communities similar to Saint Andrews. Throughout Governer Stones working days, the schooner sank a total of three times, and washed ashore on two of those occasions. By the extraordinary efforts of devoted people and organizations the Governer Stone has by far out-lived every other schooner in it's class. In the early nineties, the vessel was designated a National Historic Landmark by the United States Department Of The Interior. Currently the vessel is owned and operated by the "Friends Of The Governor Stone" Non-profit organization. After more than one-hundred years of Gulf Coast maritime history the schooner has been fully restored, considered a floating tribute, and now rest in peace inside the Saint Andrews Marina.
Oaks By The Bay Park At Saint Andrews
The Old Sentry Oak Tree
Four-Headed Palm Tree
Ancient Confederate Salt Kettle
A Park With Much History
Whenever exiting the Saint Andrews Marina, directly on the right side of the street is the Oaks By The Bay Park. At the center of the waterfront park stands an enormous Heritage Oak tree that is estimated to be over two-hundred and fifty years old. The tree pocesses massive branches that engulf very large swathes of the park. This particular Oak tree is infamously referred to as " The Old Sentry." It was standing during the high tensions of the war between the states, as if, a sentry standing guard over the Old Saint Andrews Bay. A very rare four-headed Palm tree has been relocated to the park and is proclaimed to be the only one to exist in the modern world. Park officials declare that the large number of squirrels within the property of the park is caused by local residents. Due to squirrels eating from the pecan trees, citizens in the area catch squirrels in baited traps on there personal property, and then release them onto park property. An interesting piece located at the park includes the salt kettle that was used by the confederacy during the American Civil War. The salt kettle was presented by the Confederate Saltworks Chapter of The United Daughters of The Confederacy. Salt was a significant necessary preservative in ancient times. Extracting saltwater from the area bays and then boiling until the water evapates to leave salt behind. The salt was then shipped out to Eufaula, Alabama and Montgomery, Alabama for mass distribution throughout all of the confederate states. Normally the salt sold for upwards of fifty dollars per bushel. The importantance of the saltworks operation to the confederacy made them a target of the Union Navy soldiers. Union soldiers would destroy the works and the confederate soldiers would rebuild the works during the majority of the Civil War. This salt kettle was also used to make syrup prior to the war, but was only used to manufacture salt between the years of 1861-1865. Even today deep indentions can be seen on the kettle that were made by hammer blows whenever Union soldiers attempted to destroy.
Indian Artifacts found on Buena Vista Point at Saint Andrews
Archeologist Marker Sign
History Of Global Warming and Native American Indians
Over the past twenty-thousand years the Gulf of Mexico's shorelines have advanced for more than thirty miles. A period of global warming occurred ten-thousand years ago causing much of the landscape to drastically change. The melting polar ice caps caused the sea levels to significantly rise. Sea levels finally stabilized roughly five-thousand years ago which defined the modern shoreline of the Saint Andrews Bay. The ecosystem that evolved in the newly formed marshy bays and waterways along the Gulf Coast attracted many people. Native American Indians began gathering, harvesting, and preparing the abundant supply of seafood that thrived in the warm waters. In the late nineties, Doctor Judith A. Bense from the University of West Florida directed an archaeological investigation at Buena Vista Point located inside of Oaks By The Bay Park. The investigation crew discovered many remnants of a prehistoric shell smidden site. This site would have been occupied by the Native American Indians during the Mississisppian Fort Walton period between AD 1200-1500. The Buena Vista Point site was more than likely associated with a larger village about one mile to the east.
Lion Fountain At Oaks By The Bay
A Fountain With A Long Line Of History
The Lion Fountain wasn't always located in the Saint Andrews area. In fact, in the early nineteen-hundreds the fountain sat adjacent to the Panama City Depot Station off Beach Drive. Locals at the time often referred to the fountain as a "horse trough" and even today there is much speculation as to if the fountain was indeed used to water the horses. The Lion Fountain was relocated to the Saint Andrews neighborhood of "Old Town" to Alphaeus Patrick Manghums property on the west side of Tenth Street in the early nineteen-hundreds. Mister Manghum was born in Alabama in 1881, a wholesale fish dealer by trade, and significantly known to have an underground structure behind his house that contained a moonshine still during prohibition. Mr. Manghum frequently changed ownership of the tenth street property from person to person to avoid the law from taking the home because of the moonshine still. By the early 1940's, Harbormaster J.N. "Shady" Arnold and his wife Ann purchased the property in Saint Andrews with the Lion Fountain. The fountain remained in the Arnold's front yard and was used primarily as a "bird bath" until the Saint Andrews Methodist Church purchased the property in the late nineties. In 2009, the church donated the Lion Fountain to the Saint Andrews community and it was moved to its current location inside of the Oaks By The Bay Park. Lion Fountain is currently used as a decrative seasonal planter to enhance the east entrance of the park. Placing the fountain in the park to stabalize, preserve, and educate the public about the coastal resources of the Saint Andrews area.
Business District Of Saint Andrews
Activities To Do In Saint Andrews
Hunt's Seafood Restraunt
Bustling With People And Commerce
Along Beck Avenue lies the business district for the Saint Andrews area. The main strip that is always bustling with large crowds of people, commerce flourishing abundantly, to infinity, and beyond. There are a great abundance of antique shops, ice cream parlors, coffee shops, Waterfront bar and grills, seafood restaurants, pubs, pizza parlors, and even the Historic Saint Andrews Muesem. A casual seafood restaurant known as "Hunt's Seafood" is a favorite among all of the locals and is reasonably priced. Hunt's Seafood declares to never fool around with none of the frozen or canned seafood. Instead, they pride themselves for serving up fresh seafood that is caught daily from across the street out of the Saint Andrews Bay. It's rather common to be somewhere clean across the city and over hear a stranger say, "See y'all at Hunt's" while happily waving. There are a great multitude of other seafood restaurants in the Saint Andrews area such as: Captain's Table Fishouse, the expensive Shrimp Boat Restaurant, or Uncle Ernie's Bayfront Grill. Fun for all ages can be easily discovered in Saint Andrews. With two boat ramps available the boating opportunities are endless, miles of shallow waters for saltwater fishing, swimming, walking the boardwalk, beachcombing, and bird watching are available to everybody. The Saint Andrews Civic Club and Truesdell Park Memorial Hall are located close by. Saint Andrews has many waterfront parks to explore that include the Villa Gateway Park or Lake Huntington. A waterfront farmers market is held along the boardwalk each Saturday at Saint Andrews from eight o'clock in the mornings to one o'clock in the afternoon. The Saint Andrews community is dedicated to building the future by designed long range plans to revitalize the waterfront, helping to make the area a better place to live, and work. Come on down to the Gulf Coast, experience the coastal hospitality in the deep south of the Florida panhandle, soak up the rays in the sunshine state, and the water feels mighty fine.