The house where Swami Vivekananda lived
The world renowned Swami Vivekananda became famous only after he made his historic speech at Chicago (USA),in the great assembly of "Conference of World Religions".But Prior to that, though he was a great mediator, and a person with profound knowledge,he was less known even in different parts of India.Many places he visited then as a common monk came to recognized as sacred places later.
One such place is at Belgaum (Belagavi) a district headquarters in North -western part of Karnataka state, in south India.
Swami Vivekananda, came to this town, then a mid-sized one with just some 30-40 thousand population.on 15th October 1892 Saturday, when the sun had raised up wiping his eyes.He had come from Kolhapur.He first stayed at Mr.Sadashiv Balakrishna Bhate,an advocate.After staying as respected guest at Bhate family, Swamiji shifted his stay to another person's house. He was an atheist Mr. Haripada mitra,who was Sub-divisional Forest officer there. He was the friend to Bhate. He had no respect for monks.He had no belief in god etc. He was thinking all that was only a bragging to fool the innocents.But after some discussions with swamiji,his cynicism vanished and he developed interest in knowing Hindu philosophy and living style.
Swami Vivekananda stayed in this house for 9 days-fromOct.18th 1892 to 27th Oct,1892.On 25th October, Haripada and his wife Indumati Devi, were initiated by Swamiji as per the wish of the couple.Good congregation was getting assembled there everyday at fixed time, to here swamiji's Pravachan and singing. They were all officials living in that area.Mr. Haripada Mitra has writren down all his memories of Swamiji's stay at his house.
On Oct,27th of 1892, Swamiji started out from this house without obliging Haripada, anymore.
After many years of swamiji's death, his devotees spread throughout India and Ramakrishna mission started functioning with full support by devotees.A brqnch of the mission was started at Belgaum also, which had ,by this time grown into a bigger city. It started functioning in a rented house for some years.
When they came to know of this building that had become sacred by the stay of swamiji,they pleaded the state government of karnataka,to hand over the building to maintain it as a memory. After many movement of files and personal approaches,finally the building was handed over to Ramakrishna mission on June 1st, 2000 A.D.At that time, the building was in a very awkward condition.The mission brought it to the original condition,and constructed a Temple of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, in the adjacent site. Behind the memorial house, a conference hall is also built.
now it is a pleasant spot for those who wish to pray silently.