- Travel and Places»
- Travel Tips & Preparation»
- Special Tips for Travel
Tips and Information for Women Traveling Alone
More women of all ages are traveling alone now. Of course, some are widows or do not have anyone that can travel at a convenient time, but many women actually like to travel alone. Using commons sense and planning well ahead of time can give you a wonderful vacation.
There are many benefits for a woman who prefers to travel internationally alone. Of course, safety is always a primary consideration, but solo traveling is an opportunity to learn more about yourself and your capability to soldier on despite any problems.
The satisfaction of planning an international trip and completing the trip cannot be overstated.
Waiting for the Flight
Items to Keep Valuables Safe
Keeps valuables safe. Hidden buckle to ensure maximum safety of your valuables.
It is much easier to maneuver in a strange city during the day, so make you plane reservation accordingly. This gives you a chance to arrive at your hotel earlier and settle in.
If this is your first solo trip volunteering for some type of charity work is a great idea, as it places you with a group of like-minded people who are trustworthy and ones with whom you can share experiences. You can also stay in a hostel, which is cheaper, but you will have to share the bathroom.
Many seasoned travelers do not use a travel agent, as they have learned the best way to reserve the type of accommodations that suit their budget, the best ways to handle transportation, and they are not interesting in taking a planned tour. If you have not done much traveling, then a travel agent can be a good idea, as they are very knowledgeable about foreign countries.
Katmandu - Bob Seger
Part of the enjoyment of traveling alone can be found in the planning stages. It is a good idea to know the laws of the country you are visiting. For instance, it is illegal to carry pepper spray in many countries. Obtain a belt that can be worn under clothing to keep a passport, traveler’s checks, credit cards or cash. Leave most credit cards at home, along with any expensive jewelry.
Seek out information of some of the sites you wish to visit, so you will know about transportation, cost and the hours of operation. If several sites are located close together, than choosing accommodations in that area might be wise. If you choose to rent a vehicle, remember traffic laws are different in different countries.
Solo travel requires a higher alertness to the surroundings. Carry a detailed map of the area and a phrase book.
Book your plane so that you arrive in daylight, as it is much easier to maneuver in a strange city. It is important to allow time upon arrival to manage all the initial details as travel fatigue is common. Most hotels have a safe, so your passport can be locked up securely (travel.state.gov, 1995). Traveler’s checks, cash, jewelry and even medications can also be kept safe.
Safety is the primary goal, and there are numerous ways to have a safe, yet thoroughly enjoyable trip.
Meditate Alone of the Beach
Helpful Safety Tips
Some of the tips for handling your valuables include:
- Do not become a target by wearing expensive or revealing clothing
- Leave expensive jewelry at home.
- Travel light, as it is easier to walk quickly, and baggage is less likely to be left unattended.
- If you are carrying your passport, money or other valuables, purchase a belt worn under clothing designed for this purpose. Do not use your wallet or handbag for cash, as this is an easy target for thieves.
- Be sure to bring comfortable walking shoes.
- Bring an extra pair of glasses if you wear glasses or contacts. Bring sunglasses.
- Sunscreen and bug spray are often helpful.
- Include a few basic outfits, wearing layers, and bring some clothing that can be washed in a sink.
- Take a small first aid kit with sample size shampoos and conditioners.
- Some women get a haircut for easier styling while traveling.
- Always be cautious with strangers, even other women. Listen to your “gut instinct.”
- A purse that is worn across the shoulders is much more difficult for someone to steal.
- Do not take an unlicensed cab.
- Single women should wear a fake wedding band.
There are also some important things you should leave at home, such as your social security card, library card, voter registration card, any extra credit cards and any irreplaceable pieces of jewelry.
Solo Female Travel Tips from Adventurous Kate
Final Security Tips
A family member should have a copy of your itinerary and other important papers. Make two copies of the serial numbers of the travelers’ checks, your passport, driver’s license, airline tickets and credit cards that will be taken on the trip. One copy can be packed in your suitcase or some other separate place, and the other copy is for the family member.Email or text some family member daily, so they will know you are safe, and it is important to know someone would be concerned if you were missing.
Quick getaways or longer vacations are therapeutic. Relax, pamper yourself, and enjoy your trip.I do not know about you, but I could be packed within the hour!
© 2013 Pamela Oglesby