- Travel and Places»
- Visiting North America»
- United States
Top 10 Cities for Florida Retirement: Experts' Opinions
Expert Opinions on Retirement Locations
The publication known as 55-Alive! suggests a number of places they feel are better than average for retirement living. These include a number of US States and Mexico, but many locations are in Florida
Top Five Retirement Cities In Florida
Top 10 Recommended Cities
- Melbourne - Also named as one of the "most affordable" retirement cites by WalletPop.com. This organization also states that Palm Harbor and Jensen Beach are among the Top 20 Most Affordable cities for retirement. Also see the interesting information at Jensen Beach Vacations.
- Vero Beach
- Marco Island
Another Five Great Retirement Cities
An additional 5 cities that also offer good retirement living are:
- St. Petersburg
- Palm Beach
Highlight on Melbourne, Florida
Melbourne was named as one of the "most affordable" retirement cites by WalletPop.com.
Melbourne may be the best place to retire in Florida for a number of reasons. For instance, it has been named one of the most affordable cities in the nation for retirement; but retirement jobs are also available for those that wish to continue working in this metro area.
It is located about an hour's drive south of the Kennedy Space Center and is convenient for watching NASA liftoffs in the exciting 21st century of proposed Lunar and Martian exploration beginning in 2018.
In addition, this is the center of the Florida Space Coast, a high-tech hub of Southeastern USA. The city is a little over an hour east of Disney World and has easy access to Highway I-95.
Part of the city lies off the mainland. Two causeway bridges provide access to this scenic area. At over 78,000 population, the city is not overly large and lends less stress to life than do large urban metroplexes, as well as offering its enjoyable sightseeing attractions.
Melbourne is the most affordable retirement city in Florida and one of the best places for offering what retirees want and need.
Top Retirement Communities in Melbourne
- Information about lower cost, good housing off I-95 is found at Windwood Apartments. This complex offers laundry facilities, a Clubhouse, and High Speed Internet and from 300 to 900 square feet of living space.
- Hibiscus Court: www.hibiscuscourtmelbourne.com/
- Kisco Senior Living - The Fountains at Melbourne
- Quail Run Retirement: http://www.quailrunretirement.com/
- Senior Lifestyles - This location includes wellness programs and the School of Culinary Arts that provides experience and ongoing training for chefs.
- Other: Assisted Living: Brookdale Melbourne at 1765 W Hibiscus Blvd. Call (321) 244-2662
Many Senior Retirement centers are like planned communities and many of these centers offer anything from Independent Living in apartments or bungalows to Full-Time Nursing Care, each in different areas of the dwelling complex.
Local Senior Services Centers of the Space Coast
Brevard County Senior Center At Wickham Park
- Senior Citizen Center at 2785 Leisure Way, Melbourne FL. Call· (321) 255-4496
Greater Palm Bay Senior Center
Martin Anderson Senior Center
- 1025 South Florida Ave. in Rockledge FL. Call (321) 631‑7549
North Brevard Senior Center.
- 909 Lane Ave. in Titusville FL. Call (321) 268‑2333
Taxes in Florida and Melbourne
The following link discloses all state tax information:
Excerpt of the Law:
Other Taxes and Fees
Florida does NOT impose the following taxes:
- personal income tax,
- inheritance tax,
- gift taxes or
- intangible personal property taxes.
However, there are other taxes and fees that, in certain counties or some circumstances, Florida residents may be required to pay, such as: convention development tax, local option tourist tax, fuel taxes, communications services tax, gross receipts tax, lead-acid battery fee, new tire fee, motor vehicle fee (Lemon Law), or rental car surcharges.
- Brevard Zoo | Melbourne, Florida
Brevard Zoo is a small zoo that does big things. Our mission is 'Wildlife Conservation through Education and Participation.'
- Andretti Thrill Park: This six-acre amusement park is named after the famous Andretti racing family, especially multiple cup winner Mario Andretti, his son Michael, and his grandson Marco. Of course, two GoKart tracks are favorites among visitors and many racers started out on GoKarts.
- Baytree National Golf Links
Baytree National Golf Links in Melbourne, Florida, offers you one of the premier playing opportunities on Florida's famous Space Coast, featuring a Gary Player Signature Course that will impress you with its wonderful conditions and spectacular tests
- The Maxwell C. King Center for the Performing Arts in Melbourne: 3865 N Wickham Rd, Melbourne, Florida 32935. Music, ballet, holiday events.
- Melbourne Harbor Marina in Melbourne, Florida, located on central Florida's East Coast on the Intracoastal Waterway and the Indian River Lagoon. 2210 South Front Street, Melbourne, Florida 32901
- Melbourne International Film Festival: Movies, events, festival profile
Space Coast Harbor City
Melbourne is nicknamed the Harbor City as a reflection of its location on the eastern coast of Florida, about 24 miles south of Cape Canaveral. Beeches, waterfronts, and harbors offer numerous recreational activities to residents and visitors.
Several State Parks and Conservation Areas are located within half an hour's drive time as well. In case of severe inclement weather and hurricanes, the city is well prepared with a system of services that offer
Within an hour's journey to Kennedy Space Center, Melbourne makes the ideal retirement spot for hobbyists that enjoy astronomy and space exploration events. The research division of the center is involved in remarkable projects that include wildlife and agriculture as well as weather and space travel.
For Baby Boomers that grew up on Walt Disney shows about space exploration and were hooked on the subject - like actor Tom Hanks who portrayed astronaut Jim Lovell in Apollo 13 - Melbourne is a dream come true.
At one time, NASA operated a short project that studied seniors and space travel and today, privatized space travel is in the grasp of seniors in the near future. Kennedy offers attractions for all ages, making it a comprehensive educational and recreational complex for the community as well a center for NASA projects.
Melbourne Workforce Status
Melbourne city officials are joined by NASA, Disney, higher education facilities, and local businesses in order to promote the development of new jobs and new career fields to boost the city and state economy.
Research and employment internships help to expand the workforce and increase the quality of living in Melbourne. Retirees that want to work can also find employment in the area.
The most frequently listed job opportunities are in Healthcare, Finance, and IT (Information Technology/computers).
Top 15 Jobs in Melbourne Through 2024
- Construction Laborers
- Construction Trades Workers like helpers and others.
- Nursing, Psychiatric, and Home Health Aides
- Customer Service Representatives
- Healthcare Support Staff
- Registered Nurses: RN, BSN, MSN, NP
- Health Diagnosing and Treating Staff: Doctors, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Dentists, etc.
- Health Techs
- Combined Food Preparers and Servers, like fast food, delis, and casual dining.
- Retail Salespersons
- Cooks and Other Food Preparers
- Installation, Maintenance, and Repair
- Information and Record Clerks
- Food and Beverage Servers
- Primary, Secondary, and Special Education Teachers K-12.
Largest Local Employers
- Harris Corporation: Communications for public and private entities.
- Northrup Grumman: Aerospace and Defense; NASA Commercial Crew
- United Space Alliance: Owned by Boeing (who sells aircraft to China) and Lockheed Martin, both of which are in the NASA Commercial Crew.
- Brevard Board of Education
- Health First: Healthcare
- Intersil Corporation: Integrated circuits
- MC Assembly: PC parts and assemblies
- Space Gateway Support
- Rockwell Collins Inc.: Aircraft communications; NASA Commercial Crew
- Patrick US Air Force Base
- Sea Ray Boats: Manufacturing
- MIMA: Healthcare
- Florida Tech: Major college
- Dictaphone: Electrical manufacturing.
- Florida Today: News media.
Colleges and Universities
The system of Higher Education in and around Melbourne includes many community opportunities for classes and trips in conjunction with NASA, Kennedy Space Center, and other attractions.
- Barry University; 1333 Gateway Drive, Melbourne, FL - (321) 409-5553
- Brevard Community College: Melbourne Campus
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- Everest University at Melbourne
- FIT Aviation
- Florida Institute of Technology College of Psychology and Liberal Arts
- Herzing College - a Career Academy. 1270 N Wickham Rd Ste 51, Melbourne, FL, 32935 (321) 255-9232
- Keiser University
- Rollins College
- Warner Southern College
- A number of online colleges are also available in Melbourne.
© 2010 Patty Inglish