Top 10 Most Popular Tourist Attractions in Nigeria
Tourist Attractions in Nigeria
Nigeria as the most populous Country in Africa has an immense rich diverse cultures and interesting amount of tourist centers ranging from Yankari game reserves in Bauchi, Old Oyo National Park in Old Oyo, Erin Ijesha Waterfall in Osun State, Obudu Cattle Ranch in Cross River State, Bar Beach in Lagos State, Jos Wildlife Park in Plateau State, Olumo rock in Abeokuta, Ikogosi warm and cold springs in Ekiti, and Idanre hills just to mention few of the famous tourist attraction centers in Nigeria, West Africa.
Most Visited Tourist Attractions in Nigeria
1. Yankari National Park: Yankari National Park is located in the South central part of Bauchi State in Nigeria. It covers an area of approximately 2,244 square kilometers. Originally established as a game reserve in 1956. The park protects an incredible wilderness area that contains baboons, patas monkeys, tantalus monkeys, roan antelopes, hartebeests, buffaloes, waterbucks, lions, elephants, and hippopotamus among others.
The park also hosts over 300 species of birds which include guinea fowl, grey hornbill, white headed vulture, African eagle and grey heron. The following reptiles can also be found in the park – rock python, crocodile, cobra and viper among several others. In addition, the park has the largest population of elephant in West Africa.
The Wiki warm springs serves as another point of attraction to tourists and it is located near the park lodge. Two most visited hills include the Kalban hill which give visitors a complete view of the park; and the Kariyo hill that is located near the marshal caves.
2. Bar Beach: Bar Beach is one of the most visited beaches in Nigeria, located at the center of Victoria Island along Ahmadu Bello way, Lagos State. It is of course one of the most beautiful sandy beaches to visit in Nigeria. Other sandy beaches by the Atlantic Ocean include the Badagry beach, Eleko beach and Alpha beach.
3. Obudu Cattle Ranch: The ranch is located on the Obudu Plateau and close to the Cameroon border in the North Eastern part of Cross River State, Nigeria. Obudu Cattle Ranch, now known as the Obudu Mountain Resort is about 30 minutes drive from Obudu in Obanliku local government area of Cross River State, and about 332 kilometers drive from Calabar. It is one of the famous holiday and tourist resort centers in Nigeria.
Other Famous Tourist Attractions in Nigeria
4. Zuma Rock: As popularly known, it is a large monolith that is located in Madalla, Niger State, and it is very close to the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Abuja, along the main road from Abuja to Kaduna. Historically, the rock was used for a defensive retreat by the Gbagyi people against invading neighboring tribes. Zuma rock is also shown on the 100 naira note. The height of the rock is approximately 725 meters and about 3.1 kilometers in circumference.
5. Erin Ijesha Waterfall: One of the most beautiful place to visit in Nigeria, West Africa is the Erin Ijesha Waterfall. Located in Erin-Ijesha, Osun State, and the Erin Ijesha Waterfall also known as Olumirin Waterfall is surrounded by towering mountains. The undulating landscape of the area adds natural beauty to the scenery. A place to visit by tourists that love nature.
6. Ikogosi Waterfall Resort: Ikogosi Waterfall is located in Ekiti West local government area of Ekiti State. The site is well accessible and has a long wooden bridge constructed to ease the movement of tourists across the swampy area to the core area of the site. The warm and cold springs of Ikogosi flow in the same direction, and their meeting point serves as center of attraction to tourists visiting the area. The temperature of the warm spring is about 70 degree Celsius at the source, while it is about 37 degree Celsius after meeting the cold spring.
7. Olumo Rock, Abeokuta: Olumo rock is one of the most spectacular natural wonders in Nigeria. It is located between Ikija and Itoko quarters of Abeokuta, Ogun State. The height of the rock is about 137 meters above the sea level. Three escalators were installed at the three natural heights of the rock to make climbing to the top of the rock easy. Tourists can have a complete view of the ancient city of Abeokuta from the highest peak of the rock.
8. Old Oyo National Park: The Old Oyo National Park is located in the old Oyo forest reserves. It occupies an area of about 2,512 square kilometers. The park hosts different types of animals which include baboons, patas monkeys, tantalus monkeys, roan antelopes, hartebeests, buffaloes, waterbucks, lions, elephants, and hippopotamus among others. The park also hosts over 350 species of birds which include guinea fowl, ostrich, grey hornbill, white headed vulture, African eagle and grey heron. The following reptiles can also be found in the park – rock python, crocodile, cobra and viper among several others.
9. Jos Wildlife Park: The Park is situated 4 kilometers from the State capital Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria. A scenic and panoramic view of Jos can be seen from the park. The park hosts various types of animals like hyenas, chimpanzees, baboons, lions, buffaloes, rock python and monkeys of different species. Birds like Ostrich, and white headed vulture are also found within the park.
10. Idanre Hill: Idanre hill is one of the spectacular natural wonders located in Idanre town about 24 kilometers Southeast of Akure, Ondo State capital. Being a cultural heritage, Idanre hill is now listed in the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) world heritage sites. Climbing to the top of the hill has been made easy with the introduction of 660 steps laid in concrete along the side of the hill.